Most likely TANK theory I've heard thus far...

#34fan

If they were tanking they wouldn't have brought back Tyrod. Unfortunately what we are doing is worse. We are shooting for mediocrity. We are in the same place we have been for 20 years: Hoping beyond hope we MAYBE make a wild card if we have a miracle season and all of the cards fall right. The Bills are a case study for how not to run a franchise. If you are bad then be bad and get good draft picks and rebuild. If you are good then go for the Super Bowl. There should be no in between. Living in the in between is why we have been so bad for so many years.

they're not good enough to go to the playoffs, but tanking is not acceptable either. so , yes, they have to do the best they can as a group, which means, in the absence of a top10 QB, on paper seems to point at mediocrity. just the way it is . the Bills need to draft extremely well to be successful. lets hope they find 3-4 starters out of this class and they can trade up far enough to get a QB starter next year. Its at least an approach. This thing probably isn't turning around anytime soon with the GOATs in Foxboro. starting the season 0-2 in both the division and the conference never bodes well for playoffs. seems like that scenario will play out yet again this year.

Edited by jmcraig44

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're not good enough to go to the playoffs

You're stating that as a fact? They were in the mix for the playoffs last year with a historically incompetent HC and had a street free agent at WR1 part of the year due to injuries. They add a healthy Lawson, Ragland, get a healthy Sammy back in his contract year, and add what look to be three nice pieces in the draft...but you state unequivocally that they are "not good enough to make the playoffs" (i.e., go 9-7 or 10-6)? Why do you even bother?

starting the season 0-2 in both the division and the conference never bodes well for playoffs. seems like that scenario will play out yet again this year.

What? Have you even bothered to look at the schedule? The Bills will probably be 6 point favorites v the Jets at home to open the season. Carolina isn't in the Bills' conference, much less their division, and they stunk last year. Edited by mannc

starting the season 0-2 in both the division and the conference never bodes well for playoffs. seems like that scenario will play out yet again this year.

Does it? Cos I thought we didn't play the Patriots until week 13?? We start in the Division:

Jets at home; Jets on the road

And in the conference:

Jets at home; Denver at home

Think it is far more likely we "start" 2-0 in both rather than 0-2. I think we are better worrying about the Patriots in weeks 13 and 16 don't you? Play the schedule out. We might be done anyway by then, we might be in the mix.... but we don't start by counting games that we can do nothing about for a minimum of 12 weeks.

Wgr talking about it now. Better chance to make the playoffs than hit bottom

Agree. I don't think we will do either. I'd put the over/under at 7 wins again.... I'd be shocked if this team won fewer than 5, surprised if it won fewer than 6 and surprised if it won more than 9 shocked if it won more than 10.

You're stating that as a fact? They were in the mix for the playoffs last year with a historically incompetent HC and had a street free agent at WR1 part of the year due to injuries. They add a healthy Lawson, Ragland, get a healthy Sammy back in his contract year, and add what look to be three nice pieces in the draft...but you state unequivocally that they are "not good enough to make the playoffs" (i.e., go 9-7 or 10-6)? Why do you even bother?

What? Have you even bothered to look at the schedule? The Bills will probably be 6 point favorites v the Jets at home to open the season. Carolina isn't in the Bills' conference, much less their division, and they stunk last year.

haha, we are always "IN THE MIX"

that should be our slogan from the last 20 yrs. the Buffalo Bills...we aren't very good but at least we are IN THE MIX. being in the mix is why we haven't been able to rebuild correctly. the Colts hit rock bottom and got Peyton Manning and then did it again and got Andrew Luck. our GM and coach were there when the Panthers did it and ended up with Cam Newton. we have never hit bottom which is why we have nobody

Agree. I don't think we will do either. I'd put the over/under at 7 wins again.... I'd be shocked if this team won fewer than 5, surprised if it won fewer than 6 and surprised if it won more than 9 shocked if it won more than 10.

this is pretty much where i'm at with it.

they're not good enough to go to the playoffs, but tanking is not acceptable either. so , yes, they have to do the best they can as a group, which means, in the absence of a top10 QB, on paper seems to point at mediocrity. just the way it is . the Bills need to draft extremely well to be successful. lets hope they find 3-4 starters out of this class and they can trade up far enough to get a QB starter next year. Its at least an approach. This thing probably isn't turning around anytime soon with the GOATs in Foxboro. starting the season 0-2 in both the division and the conference never bodes well for playoffs. seems like that scenario will play out yet again this year.

Are there teams that don't have to draft well to be successful?

If they were tanking they wouldn't have brought back Tyrod. Unfortunately what we are doing is worse. We are shooting for mediocrity. We are in the same place we have been for 20 years: Hoping beyond hope we MAYBE make a wild card if we have a miracle season and all of the cards fall right. The Bills are a case study for how not to run a franchise. If you are bad then be bad and get good draft picks and rebuild. If you are good then go for the Super Bowl. There should be no in between. Living in the in between is why we have been so bad for so many years.

And that is exactly why this season is the one I have looked forward to the least in the last 20 years

that should be our slogan from the last 20 yrs. the Buffalo Bills...we aren't very good but at least we are IN THE MIX. being in the mix is why we haven't been able to rebuild correctly. the Colts hit rock bottom and got Peyton Manning and then did it again and got Andrew Luck. our GM and coach were there when the Panthers did it and ended up with Cam Newton. we have never hit bottom which is why we have nobody

Not responsive to my post, but whatever. The idea that you have to bottom out out to succeed in the NFL is utter nonsense. The Pats, Steelers, Packers, Ravens, Seahawks,etc haven't succeeded that way. The Colts are the only team that has ever landed a franchise QB by tanking, and so far the results are underwhelming.

Finally, picking in the top 3 guarantees you nothing, in any event. The last time the Bills did it, they failed to come away with a franchise-changing talent, even though there were plenty of those available.

To directly refute the point, Derek Carr and Russell Wilson were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round respectively.

agree. i'm right at the 7 win mark. If we have a couple key injuries we win less than 5 games. If the key guys stay healthy and we get some really good coaching I could see 10 wins.

To directly refute the point, Derek Carr and Russell Wilson were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round respectively.

and are a lower caliber player than Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck imo. those guys were complete luck. Manning and Luck were sure things. we are only going to win 6 games this year. what's the difference between winning 3 and winning 6 if it gets you one of the 2 best QB's in the draft?

and are a lower caliber player than Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck imo. those guys were complete luck. Manning and Luck were sure things. we are only going to win 6 games this year. what's the difference between winning 3 and winning 6 if it gets you one of the 2 best QB's in the draft?

If they are 2-6 after 8 games I will want them to stop pretending the season is recoverable.

We are? We'll have to wait and see.

If they are 2-6 after 8 games I will want them to stop pretending the season is recoverable.

I agree with this. I would want them to put one of the young qbs out there to see what we've got. But to state unequivocally, before a single game is played, that they can't make the playoffs or they can't win more than 6 games, and they should therefore tank, is asinine.

I agree with this. I would want them to put one of the young qbs out there to see what we've got. But to state unequivocally, before a single game is played, that they can't make the playoffs or they can't win more than 6 games, and they should therefore tank, is asinine.

Can't see them throwing in the towel at mid-season. Giving a young guy a shot in the last couple of games is more of the norm if a team is no longer "in the hunt". :sick: