Why the Pats have the best short-pass game in the NFL

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....they are masters at taking what you give them....stop the deep ball and they'll punish you short.....take away the passing game and they'll beat you on the ground......Brady can put it up 45 times and hand off 15 to get the "W"...OR....he can hand it off 40 times and put it up 20 and STILL get the "W".....makes no difference to BB....

so he looks at the defense and by how they are set he makes his throw? My god, it's so simple. Can I have a job in the NFL please? Preferably in Buffalo.

Yeah..kinda like when he sees a defender 10 yards off no matter what the play call is, he just takes the snap, turns and fires to the WR immediately and they get 6-8 free yards.

Amazing how many teams pass up free yards the D is giving them routinely.

Gotta have a QB who is cerebral athletic and smart enough to run it. Nobody will ever do it as well as Tom Brady.

Fixed it for ya. Plus the receivers need to be uber-athletic as well (See Gronk, et al).

Not sure how much "brains" you need to do this. the Qb needs to be able to fling the ball into the required space in about 2 seconds. I think any idiot QB can recognize the pre-snap defensive scheme and throw into that space. the "brains" comes in when he has to play mental chess and see 5-6 seconds post snap. Given the simplicity of this scheme, it's a wonder that:

a - more teams don't try to replicate it, and

b - D's don't crowd and bump receivers at the LOS to stop it. I'm not saying it would be easy. you would need super athletic DB's to pull this off. See Jets playoff victories vs. Brady/Pat*s.

We've all seen TB lose his S*** when he has pressure up the middle. That only comes from pressure that simply cannot be there in 2.2 seconds.

The strategy of a quick, short passing game is fine. What the Pats do well is get the best personnel and schemes to execute it.

The run their offense quickly and spread the field which limits the defense's ability to put it sub packages and disguise their defense. The have an army of WRs who are very quick off the line and can run after the catch. They have two great TEs who are very tough in the short passing game. And of course they have one of the best QBs all time.

So it's very hard to play against this. You can't disguise what you're doing to buy time for your DL, it's very hard to match up against all their receivers/TEs and where you leave a mismatch, Brady usually finds it.

Edited by vincec

I've had this bookmarked for a while, and it's still a great read. Really something I wish the Bills would include in their offense: uptempo/quick release/pre-snap reads/only having to read a small portion of the field.

So how do they do it? By playing matchups. 2.2 seconds isnt enough to scan the whole field and decipher the intricacies of the defensive scheme. Much of Bradys decision-making comes from the pre-snap alignment of the defense. Once he receives the ball, Brady does little more than read the defenders in a small area of the field to be able to get rid of it so swiftly.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-why-the-patriots-have-the-best-short-pass-game-in-the-nfl-brady-gronkowski-amendola/

They have the best short passing attack because 1) refs allow them to commit offense PI, and 2) Brady's helmet radio doesn't shut off so he is told who's open.

They have the best short passing attack because 1) refs allow them to commit offense PI, and 2) Brady's helmet radio doesn't shut off so he is told who's open.

So you think from the point of the snap he has time to receive the ball, McDaniels to odentify who is open, radio down to Tom and for him to throw it all within 2 seconds?

Sure.

That's just silly.....If it makes you feel better to think that way, feel free.....I'll go with Brady and NE's offense are really really good...the cheating thing on this board is out of control....

So you think from the point of the snap he has time to receive the ball, McDaniels to odentify who is open, radio down to Tom and for him to throw it all within 2 seconds?

Sure.

Of course !! And they deflate balls, steal playbooks, make other teams communication go down.... etc....It's the main reason why they've been dominating for 17 years..... :doh::doh::doh: ( sarcasm off )

That's just silly.....If it makes you feel better to think that way, feel free.....I'll go with Brady and NE's offense are really really good...the cheating thing on this board is out of control....

Of course !! And they deflate balls, steal playbooks, make other teams communication go down.... etc....It's the main reason why they've been dominating for 17 years..... :doh::doh::doh: ( sarcasm off )

....there is ABSOLUTELY no other way to justify 14 AFCE titles and FIVE Lombardis.....amusing isn't it?.....wonder what the NEXT battle cry will be when those numbers are 15 and 6?.....

....there is ABSOLUTELY no other way to justify 14 AFCE titles and FIVE Lombardis.....amusing isn't it?.....wonder what the NEXT battle cry will be when those numbers are 15 and 6?.....

They cheat AND are lucky... :thumbsup:

On a serious note, as a Bills fan, I never had issues admitting they are historically good....I hate them, but their run is something we've never seen before.....It baffles me that " Football " fans can't understand that...

Edited by Iron Maiden

I dont think the radio is on....I just think Brady processes information very fast and is very accurate

I think when it comes to the patriots you just have to keep it simple

Long sustained drives with touchdowns at the end

Keep Brady off the field

Understand that the pats are going to score

Dont kill yourselves with stupid penalties

HIT brady every time the opportunity presents itself

DId I say hit Tom Brady?

Fixed it for ya. Plus the receivers need to be uber-athletic as well (See Gronk, et al).

Not sure how much "brains" you need to do this. the Qb needs to be able to fling the ball into the required space in about 2 seconds. I think any idiot QB can recognize the pre-snap defensive scheme and throw into that space. the "brains" comes in when he has to play mental chess and see 5-6 seconds post snap. Given the simplicity of this scheme, it's a wonder that:

a - more teams don't try to replicate it, and

b - D's don't crowd and bump receivers at the LOS to stop it. I'm not saying it would be easy. you would need super athletic DB's to pull this off. See Jets playoff victories vs. Brady/Pat*s.

We've all seen TB lose his S*** when he has pressure up the middle. That only comes from pressure that simply cannot be there in 2.2 seconds.

Philly, You make a good point. But, may I ask you how you came up with your name??? lol when I saw it.

I dont think the radio is on....I just think Brady processes information very fast and is very accurate

Keep Brady off the field

DId I say hit Tom Brady?

Agree John. I'd add... do as much as you can to confuse him with a 4 man rush. You start sending 5 regularly he kills you. The frustration is that Rex in his first year got the scheme right in the road game. We beat ourselves that night.

Sure.

What if Brady is told pre-snap which receiver is uncovered?

....they are masters at taking what you give them....stop the deep ball and they'll punish you short.....take away the passing game and they'll beat you on the ground......Brady can put it up 45 times and hand off 15 to get the "W"...OR....he can hand it off 40 times and put it up 20 and STILL get the "W".....makes no difference to BB....

And how do they know what they give you? Because their helmet radio stay on and the guys in the press box tell Brady what the defense is.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What if Brady is told pre-snap which receiver is uncovered?

Why would he need to be told? He can see? Or are you honestly suggesting Tom Brady doesn't know how to read which receiver is most likely to end up uncovered or in a mismatch but Josh McDaniel does? Tom Brady has been in that offense 17 years. He knows it and understands it better than anyone. He doesn't need telling pre-snap where the mismatch is. He understands what his checks and keys are on each play and calculates it himself. Or do you think Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben and Peyton Manning (other masters of identifying the mismatch) also need telling pre-snap in their headsets who might come uncovered?

Keep Brady off the field

DId I say hit Tom Brady?

I agree that those are the keys...the most important one is keeping him off the field/having long sustained drives....

Hitting him as often as we can goes without saying, but even that is not a guarantee for success...Atlanta sacked him 5-6 times and pressured him on many other plays and he still came back....

Pressure up the the middle with 4 guys is the way the Giants were able to beat him....I'm hoping coach McD knows how to dial up that kind of pressure....

Edited by Iron Maiden

I agree that those are the keys...the most important one is keeping him off the field/having long sustained drives....

Hitting him as often as we can goes without saying, but even that is not a guarantee for success...Atlanta sacked him 5-6 times and pressured him on many other plays and he still came back....

Pressure up the the middle with 4 guys is the way the Giants were able to beat him....I'm hoping coach McD knows how to dial up that kind of pressure....

I have always believed that the single biggest key to beat Brady and the pats is Marcel......interior DL pressure makes brady just a tad uncomfortable

Start roughing him up and you can see him start to chirp in the refs ear after every play.....its a beautiful thing to watch

One thing I think about some times is ne's alleged cheating with helmet radios

If they constantly have radio contact to Brady the horse !@#$er than they can yell out x y z and he knows the exact spot to throw it.

Its just a thought but you'll see his wrs are crisp on the spot runners as such they hit the spot and he throws it there.