Why the Pats have the best short-pass game in the NFL

So ... Gilmore and Darby = Chris Harris Jr and Talib???? It's all about scheme again? Maybe, just maybe (fool though he is) Ryan didn't use Gilmore and Darby that way because they simply weren't capable of succeeding that way.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

In general, the cornerback play has not been the limiting factor in the defense's ability to stop NE.

If you read my original post in this thread, you'd know that I never said it was all about scheme; that was a point that you apparently believe and felt was appropriate to project onto my post.

It's a combination of scheme and personnel; hence why only 2 teams in the league have had success against them. Or in other words; go back and read my 1st post in this thread without an agenda.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop putting words into my mouth.

In general, the cornerback play has not been the limiting factor in the defense's ability to stop NE.

If you read my original post in this thread, you'd know that I never said it was all about scheme; that was a point that you apparently believe and felt was appropriate to project onto my post.

It's a combination of scheme and personnel; hence why only 2 teams in the league have had success against them. Or in other words; go back and read my 1st post in this thread without an agenda.

But really ... what do those two teams - Broncos and Seahawks - have in common over the last few years? Could it be great secondaries? From the defensive perspective, the answer is "get better players first," then try to play the schemes in which those great players can win matchups. Just like the answer on offense is "get a Tom Brady, then implement a passing game that takes full advantage of his unique skillset." No knock on you or trying to put words in your mouth, but I just don't see the defensive talent in Buffalo to pull off what the Broncos can pull off ...

No...it's a way of saying that they approached the game differently than Buffalo.

Rex's D (and Schwartz's for that matter) asked their corners to play sticky in coverage and prevent completions; Seattle and Denver ask their corners to beat up WRs at the LOS to disrupt timing and take away the easy YAC opportunities.

No...it's a way of saying that they approached the game differently than Buffalo.

Rex's D (and Schwartz's for that matter) asked their corners to play sticky in coverage and prevent completions; Seattle and Denver ask their corners to beat up WRs at the LOS to disrupt timing and take away the easy YAC opportunities.

I think this is spot on, you also have to get pressure from your front four especially in the middle. You get all those things working and you see the tantrum side of TB.

DUH, -Balls released faster have higher completion rates... Only people who didn't know this were the Bills... Pat's formula to winning is so damn simple it's disgusting.

Us? -We need 15 different coaches, assistant coaches and gurus just to 7-9 :lol:

DUH, -Balls released faster have higher completion rates... Only people who didn't know this were the Bills... Pat's formula to winning is so damn simple it's disgusting.

Us? -We need 15 different coaches, assistant coaches and gurus just to 7-9 :lol:

7-8. The last game the team gave up. Didn't care. And it helps to have the best QB to ever play the game run any kind of offense. he has the physical tools and mental tools.

But really ... what do those two teams - Broncos and Seahawks - have in common over the last few years? Could it be great secondaries? From the defensive perspective, the answer is "get better players first," then try to play the schemes in which those great players can win matchups. Just like the answer on offense is "get a Tom Brady, then implement a passing game that takes full advantage of his unique skillset." No knock on you or trying to put words in your mouth, but I just don't see the defensive talent in Buffalo to pull off what the Broncos can pull off ...

What they have in common is a very high level of talent at every level of the defense. Each team has outstanding talent along the DL, at LB, and in the secondary (including both corner spots and the safeties).

And again, look at my original post:

I don't think it's a coincidence that McDermott & Co. prefer tough, long-armed corners that can press/bail and tackle.

One of the reasons that NE has struggled (relatively) with Denver and Seattle is that they're willing to rough up the WRs and do what's necessary to get pressure on Brady. Part of that is having safeties that can play like LBs against the run so as not to sacrifice integrity on the interior when telling your front-4 and slot corner to play solely pass-focused defense.

Edited by thebandit27

7-8. The last game the team gave up. Didn't care. And it helps to have the best QB to ever play the game run any kind of offense. he has the physical tools and mental tools.

It does help... But expecting to get lucky and just draft the next Brady is unrealistic... We're going to need coaches who can maximize the hand they're dealt.

I found this quote and I absolutely love it!

"We forget these coaches are supposed to be teachers," Dilfer said. "And when they're not, it affects the players. And unfortunately, the NFL doesn't have all good teachers. There are a lot of guys who have coached and have ‘OC' by their name; it doesn't mean they can teach. Usually you can tell if a quarterback's being developed right by what his eyes and feet are doing. That offense doesn't have a real flow to the passing game. The feet and the eyes don't always match what's going on downfield. That's not a Tyrod Taylor issue. That's a coaching issue."

-Trent Dilfer.

It does help... But expecting to get lucky and just draft the next Brady is unrealistic... We're going to need coaches who can maximize the hand they're dealt.

I found this quote and I absolutely love it!

"We forget these coaches are supposed to be teachers," Dilfer said. "And when they're not, it affects the players. And unfortunately, the NFL doesn't have all good teachers. There are a lot of guys who have coached and have ‘OC' by their name; it doesn't mean they can teach. Usually you can tell if a quarterback's being developed right by what his eyes and feet are doing. That offense doesn't have a real flow to the passing game. The feet and the eyes don't always match what's going on downfield. That's not a Tyrod Taylor issue. That's a coaching issue."

-Trent Dilfer.

Well, I guess that's true ... to a point. Of course, Trent Dilfer may also point to himself for the proposition that no coach can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He started under Sam Wyche but didn't become Boomer. He started under Tony Dungy and Mike Shula but didn't become Peyton Manning (ok, unfair) or Cam Newton. He started under Brian Billick and somehow (well, we know how - defense and Jamal Lewis) won a Super Bowl, but never became late vintage Randall Cunningham (Billick's success in Minnesota that got him the head coach job in Baltimore). He even played a little under Mike Holmgren but never became Matt Hasselbeck. Wyche, Shula, Billick, Holmgren - that's a pretty good list of "teachers," no?

Well, I guess that's true ... to a point. Of course, Trent Dilfer may also point to himself for the proposition that no coach can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He started under Sam Wyche but didn't become Boomer. He started under Tony Dungy and Mike Shula but didn't become Peyton Manning (ok, unfair) or Cam Newton. He started under Brian Billick and somehow (well, we know how - defense and Jamal Lewis) won a Super Bowl, but never became late vintage Randall Cunningham (Billick's success in Minnesota that got him the head coach job in Baltimore). He even played a little under Mike Holmgren but never became Matt Hasselbeck. Wyche, Shula, Billick, Holmgren - that's a pretty good list of "teachers," no?

All fair commentary... To which I'll add that Dilfer was one of the most reliable journeyman arms in the NFL for a while... Never struck me as the "hungry" type tho...

All fair commentary... To which I'll add that Dilfer was one of the most reliable journeyman arms in the NFL for a while... Never struck me as the "hungry" type tho...

I actually liked Dilfer. He seemed to figure out fairly early on what he was and what he could never be. A lot of journeyman type QBs would've screwed up that Ravens Super Bowl team by trying to do too much - imagine a Fitzy in that role. And then even later he filled in when Hasselbeck was hurt and went 4-0 in his starts one year. But still ... he had the size/arm strength, etc., but it was his inability to read defenses like the top tier QBs that made him a journeyman. Hence my comments about how even several "offensive geniuses" had limited success with him.

I've had this bookmarked for a while, and it's still a great read. Really something I wish the Bills would include in their offense: uptempo/quick release/pre-snap reads/only having to read a small portion of the field.

So how do they do it? By playing matchups. 2.2 seconds isnt enough to scan the whole field and decipher the intricacies of the defensive scheme. Much of Bradys decision-making comes from the pre-snap alignment of the defense. Once he receives the ball, Brady does little more than read the defenders in a small area of the field to be able to get rid of it so swiftly.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-why-the-patriots-have-the-best-short-pass-game-in-the-nfl-brady-gronkowski-amendola/

so he looks at the defense and by how they are set he makes his throw? My god, it's so simple. Can I have a job in the NFL please? Preferably in Buffalo.

...not disputing your assessment....but journeyman is an interesting adjective for a kid selected #5 overall in 1994.....sure he was steady, nothing flashy and got his ring (staunch defense certainly helped), but you'd expect more out of a #5 to be labeled journeyman, which highlights drafting QB's is hardly an exact science....look how long Brady has killed us with short passing game....Faulk out of the backfield comes to mind.....ditto for quick slants.....those are the quicker plays Dennison needs to consider for TT.....cut down on scramble time which takes pressure off OL as far as holding blocks and wondering where the hell he is THIS time.....the long ball will become available.....

Their system looks simple but it really isn't...otherwise, a team or 2 would have figured it out in the last 17 years ....with a few exceptions, no team can stop it and no team can duplicate it....

Do a Google search for " Erhardt-Perkins offensive system "

And, there's only one Brady.....no one can find the open man faster and deliver him the ball accurately as he does....

It's no mystery. They have the best game planning coach ever and one of the best QBs ever. And they only employ smart players who do what they're supposed to do on every play.

Hell, those guys could probably get me 3-4 receptions a game.

It's no mystery. They have the best game planning coach ever and one of the best QBs ever. And they only employ smart players who do what they're supposed to do on every play.

This. Completely agree. Anyone who thinks their success comes from illegal plays and favoritism might as well leave their heads in the sand.

This. Completely agree. Anyone who thinks their success comes from illegal plays and favoritism might as well leave their heads in the sand.

It's ..all of the above... They have good players, smart players, coaches, game plans, they definitely get favoritism by the refs, but they also, bend the rules, out and out cheat, steal play books, and just about anything else you wanna mention.

Sure Brady is great.. But Cassel took the same team to 11-5. Last year, they started 3–1 without him. Its not all about Brady. Its about a system of designing game plans, bending the rules of the game and insisting that players follow exactly what they're coached to do, all while the league looks the other way at any misgivings.

That's why I hate that team and the league more and more. Not because they always win.. But because of how they always win and the rest of the league just takes it.

I've had this bookmarked for a while, and it's still a great read. Really something I wish the Bills would include in their offense: uptempo/quick release/pre-snap reads/only having to read a small portion of the field.

So how do they do it? By playing matchups. 2.2 seconds isn’t enough to scan the whole field and decipher the intricacies of the defensive scheme. Much of Brady’s decision-making comes from the pre-snap alignment of the defense. Once he receives the ball, Brady does little more than read the defenders in a small area of the field to be able to get rid of it so swiftly.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-why-the-patriots-have-the-best-short-pass-game-in-the-nfl-brady-gronkowski-amendola/

Great, informative read. Thanks for posting.

True.