Why the Pats have the best short-pass game in the NFL

I've had this bookmarked for a while, and it's still a great read. Really something I wish the Bills would include in their offense: uptempo/quick release/pre-snap reads/only having to read a small portion of the field.

So how do they do it? By playing matchups. 2.2 seconds isn’t enough to scan the whole field and decipher the intricacies of the defensive scheme. Much of Brady’s decision-making comes from the pre-snap alignment of the defense. Once he receives the ball, Brady does little more than read the defenders in a small area of the field to be able to get rid of it so swiftly.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-why-the-patriots-have-the-best-short-pass-game-in-the-nfl-brady-gronkowski-amendola/

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this bookmarked for a while, and it's still a great read. Really something I wish the Bills would include in their offense: uptempo/quick release/pre-snap reads/only having to read a small portion of the field.

So how do they do it? By playing matchups. 2.2 seconds isn’t enough to scan the whole field and decipher the intricacies of the defensive scheme. Much of Brady’s decision-making comes from the pre-snap alignment of the defense. Once he receives the ball, Brady does little more than read the defenders in a small area of the field to be able to get rid of it so swiftly.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-why-the-patriots-have-the-best-short-pass-game-in-the-nfl-brady-gronkowski-amendola/

Gotta have a QB who is cerebral and smart enough to run it. Nobody will ever do it as well as Tom Brady.

Gotta have a QB who is cerebral and smart enough to run it. Nobody will ever do it as well as Tom Brady.

I sort of agree, I sort of disagree. Look at the examples they give on the article. Presnap read that it's man coverage? Presnap read that it's 2DBs vs 3WRs? Presnap read that Gronk is on one-on-one? This isn't rocket science. Also, the throws he is making, while accurate, are 8-10 yards deep. I'm not saying you can replicate this play for play with another QB, but it's a sensible strategy.

This and you also need receivers that routinely win their matchups, especially in short spaces. Most importantly, you need QB and receiver to be on the same page with their reads. Nobody is better than Brady and Co. at recognizing coverage and technique used by defenders.

This and you also need receivers that routinely win their matchups, especially in short spaces. Most importantly, you need QB and receiver to be on the same page with their reads. Nobody is better than Brady and Co. at recognizing coverage and technique used by defenders.

Slow bearded white guys can get open when other slow bearded white guys block the defenders and the refs look the other way.

When the Bills always play with a 5 or 10 yard buffer from the LOS ..... its easy to see why if other teams do the same thing.

God I hate it when I see that.

yes this a big pet peave of mine. i start yelling at the tv every time. it's an easy 5-10 yards every time when they play the Pats especially

yes this a big pet peave of mine. i start yelling at the tv every time. it's an easy 5-10 yards every time when they play the Pats especially

Because when they play them tight they get burned on 60 yard TDs? Seriously though, I agree with you. I'd rather take my chances on the bombs than die that slow death. But to me it all comes down to the fact that the defensive personnel just hasn't been good enough. I think the defensive scheme is important, but not as important as the limited talent (and yes, that includes the supposed "shut down CBs" in Gilmore and Darby).

I don't think it's a coincidence that McDermott & Co. prefer tough, long-armed corners that can press/bail and tackle.

One of the reasons that NE has struggled (relatively) with Denver and Seattle is that they're willing to rough up the WRs and do what's necessary to get pressure on Brady. Part of that is having safeties that can play like LBs against the run so as not to sacrifice integrity on the interior when telling your front-4 and slot corner to play solely pass-focused defense.

I don't think it's a coincidence that McDermott & Co. prefer tough, long-armed corners that can press/bail and tackle.

One of the reasons that NE has struggled (relatively) with Denver and Seattle is that they're willing to rough up the WRs and do what's necessary to get pressure on Brady. Part of that is having safeties that can play like LBs against the run so as not to sacrifice integrity on the interior when telling your front-4 and slot corner to play solely pass-focused defense.

Which is kind of another way of saying that their corners have just been flat-out better than ours? This is why I was fine with moving on from Gilmore ...

Because when they play them tight they get burned on 60 yard TDs? Seriously though, I agree with you. I'd rather take my chances on the bombs than die that slow death. But to me it all comes down to the fact that the defensive personnel just hasn't been good enough. I think the defensive scheme is important, but not as important as the limited talent (and yes, that includes the supposed "shut down CBs" in Gilmore and Darby).

Agreed. Plus, if they're scoring quickly on big plays their Defense isn't getting rest and they will wear down. I read that on this board all the time.

Which is kind of another way of saying that their corners have just been flat-out better than ours? This is why I was fine with moving on from Gilmore ...

No...it's a way of saying that they approached the game differently than Buffalo.

Rex's D (and Schwartz's for that matter) asked their corners to play sticky in coverage and prevent completions; Seattle and Denver ask their corners to beat up WRs at the LOS to disrupt timing and take away the easy YAC opportunities.

No...it's a way of saying that they approached the game differently than Buffalo.

Rex's D (and Schwartz's for that matter) asked their corners to play sticky in coverage and prevent completions; Seattle and Denver ask their corners to beat up WRs at the LOS to disrupt timing and take away the easy YAC opportunities.

So ... Gilmore and Darby = Chris Harris Jr and Talib???? It's all about scheme again? Maybe, just maybe (fool though he is) Ryan didn't use Gilmore and Darby that way because they simply weren't capable of succeeding that way.