Coolers

I always laughed about how expensive the Yeti soft sided coolers were. They recently came out with an updated version, and all of the "old" Hoppers are now $100 off. I just picked up a Hopper 30 and I have to say it is pretty damn impressive. I usually go through a small soft sided cooler every couple years and buy a few crappy styrofoam coolers for various cookouts etc. This new cooler should last many years and will actually keep stuff cold. I also have a nice Canyon Outfitter 55 that has been nothing short of great. It has weathered many tailgates and camping trips without much more than a scratch and keeps ice for days. Had anyone else given in to the high end cooler calling? Any recommendations for future purchases?

We've went to visit with my brother in law last summer. We spent one day by his pool and it was toasty out there. He had a Yeti cooler with drinks and beers which I naturally visited on occasion (OK, constantly). They were all perfectly chilled! He said he got the cooler at some charity auction and he couldn't' believe how awesome it was. That's stuff had been out there in the same ice for days!

Edited by Augie

I don't know about the coolers, they're just too expensive, but I do have one of the Yeti coffee cups. They're unreal. I drink iced coffee before work sometimes. Last week when it got up to 93 here in Vermont I left it in my cup holder in my car for about 4 hours. When I got in my car to leave work it was about 97 degrees in my car, but amazingly there was still ice in the cup!

Yeti are awesome, but I don't want a cooler that I have to worry about being stolen. I actually had that happen once. I left a cooler full of beer out while camping at a public campground. It just grew legs and walked off.

Yeti are awesome, but I don't want a cooler that I have to worry about being stolen. I actually had that happen once. I left a cooler full of beer out while camping at a public campground. It just grew legs and walked off.

I have a cable lock for my cooler. Someone would need a bolt cutter or an axe to chop down the tree that it's chained to.

Was it the cooler that was coveted, or just a convenient get away vehicle full of ice cold beer?

But yes, some might pay ransom $$$ to get their Yeti back. :(

The better question - what do you want to do with it?

A normal Coleman or Igloo will be fine for day drinking, some of their nicer ones are fine for a weekend of camping.

We just got one of the Coleman coolers with a tow handle and big wheels and it advertises it will hold ice for 5 days.

Yeti coolers are excellent, but unless you're going on 7+ day adventures, what's the point?

The better question - what do you want to do with it?

A normal Coleman or Igloo will be fine for day drinking, some of their nicer ones are fine for a weekend of camping.

We just got one of the Coleman coolers with a tow handle and big wheels and it advertises it will hold ice for 5 days.

Yeti coolers are excellent, but unless you're going on 7+ day adventures, what's the point?

good point. When I go up to buffalo and bring a cooler of beef for everyone in September it rides iny truck bed 14 hours. Than overnight until I put it in the hotel room. This is usually on a Thursday. Come Sunday most of it is still frozen solid and they're just igloo brand from Walmart

I don't know about the coolers, they're just too expensive, but I do have one of the Yeti coffee cups. They're unreal. I drink iced coffee before work sometimes. Last week when it got up to 93 here in Vermont I left it in my cup holder in my car for about 4 hours. When I got in my car to leave work it was about 97 degrees in my car, but amazingly there was still ice in the cup!

i have the coffee cup, and my wife bought me some boston college yeti koozies. those suckers are no joke. if you're casually outside doing some work, the beer stays cold way longer than anyone could need it to.

good point. When I go up to buffalo and bring a cooler of beef for everyone in September it rides iny truck bed 14 hours. Than overnight until I put it in the hotel room. This is usually on a Thursday. Come Sunday most of it is still frozen solid and they're just igloo brand from Walmart

No dry ice? I brought home a bunch of tamales from El Paso last year and I used dry ice, which was surprisingly difficult to find there. Nearly every grocery store sells it here.

Thnking back, the ice cream warehouse that I bought dry ice from seemed kinda shady. Like Tio Salamanca was watching me.

i have the coffee cup, and my wife bought me some boston college yeti koozies. those suckers are no joke. if you're casually outside doing some work, the beer stays cold way longer than anyone could need it to.

I had no idea these things even existed! I'm going to order a pair right now.

I have never had a beer go warm on me....ever.

Use a koozie only in the cold, not when it is warm.

Really? Maybe I'm drinking too slow. I'll crack a beer while I'm mowing the lawn, take a few sips and set it on the back deck stairs, and return after about 5 minutes of mowing and it's already tepid. I like my beer ice cold.