LAMP -Advice) First Time in Cbus

plenzmd1

Hey all, but especially YOLO.

In Cbus for the first time, arrived around 5 last night. In town taking my daughter to orientation at Denison.

• Had a great night last night in Arena District and going to Columbus Clippers game.
  • Had a nice run along the river this morning( big creek really), but man they keep that park impeccable, very impressed.
  • The architecture is awesome, has a lot of the art deco features of Downtown Buffalo.
  • We are staying the Hotel LeVeque..just opened..great hotel, the architecture of the building itself is awesome, still working out some kinks. If staying here, try to stay in the 01 rooms, we are in 901 and the room is awesome and big with great views.
  • Overall very impressed, hope the Sabres play some weekend games here so "i can visit my daughter"

So here is my question/advice for someone who may know. Son and I will head to Ohio State to wonder around early this afternoon...any one with suggestions of things to do/see there?

Next, suggestions for different neighborhood/s to wonder around for happy hour/shopping/ eating out tonight and any particluar restuarants.

And unlike a certain food professional on here, I welcome the advice!

Edited by plenzmd1

Plenz - Thanks for the kind words about my home. Although BFLO is where I was born / raised, I call CBUS home now. Congrats on daughter attending Denison. Granville is a neat little town.

So, if you are headed to OSU area couple of things to check out. Ohio Stadium - get the feel for how large that place is. Maybe you can get lucky and someone will let you in to check out the inside. Jack Nicklaus Museum just up the road from there. The Wexner Art Museum. The Billy Ireland Cartoon Museum. The main library at OSU just went through a big expansion / remodel. Check out the North Market downtown. Get you some Hot Chicken Takeover and Jenni's ice cream.

Tonight - couple of suggestions. Italian Village - there are a couple of brew pubs within walking distance of each other. German Village - Schmidts, Thurman's, South Village Grille, Old Mohawk are a couple of suggestions.

BTW - This is Pride Weekend in CBUS. It will be very busy downtown.

Edited by BuffaloBud

Welcome to Cbus! I echo Buffalo Bud on Thurman and Mohawk. Thurman is usually like a 2 hour wait for a table though. There is a lot of good stuff in the Short North but it will be real busy down there since it's pride week. Very "artsy" scene in that area. I like short north pint house for beer and upscale bar food.

The Easton area and Polaris area up north will have all your typical shopping and "chain" options. I'd stick to the arena district /short north/ German village areas for some more "local" vibe.

I'll throw out 2 more random suggestions for food. Lindys in German village is fantastic and has a great outdoor patio. Had our rehearsal dinner for our wedding there. Also if for some reason you're interested in a steak, The Top Steakhouse in Bexley. It's about 2 minutes from my house and is a total old school steakhouse that looks like you'd expect the rat pack to hang out in. Dark, piano player, stiff drinks, simple menu, etc.

Hope you enjoy Cbus happy to answer any more questions!

Oh and if you're looking for something a little different, check out 16 bit (bar / arcade) or pins mechanical co. (Pinball /bar/ duck pin bowling) Also lots of good local breweries: four string, hoof hearted, seventh son to name a few.

Edited by billsfanmiami(oh)

Thank you all for the replys. Heading to Pins Mehanical now, spend an hour hour there till 16 year old son gets kicked out. Thanks for that heads up.

We will figure out rest of night from there. Pride stuff looks fun, not sure if we get to go as they are done pretty early tonight and we need to be back in Granville at 9 AM TOMORROW.

Know we will end up someplace cool and recommended here, will report back in the AM!

Thanks again all!

Short North for drinks/dinner/ late night would be perfect BUT it's Pride Weekend and it will be mobbed. Arena District by Nationwide would be a little easier - or Brewery District/German Village just south of Downtown. Also could head up to Easton for shopping (definitely take your daughter and/or wife there, it's a suburban Magnificent Mile). At OSU go see The Shoe and Buckeye Grove (tree planted for every all-American). There is another camp this weekend so will be HS players visiting at the WHAC. You can walk around th lobby - very cool to see alll the trophies and stuff. You will see players around the WHAC too if you know any of them - current and former. Eating/drinking/shopping up and down High Street --- leads to Short North as you go South.

I'm out of town but let me know if you have any questions as you peruse!

I forgot you can also go further north to Polaris - more shopping plus new IKEA opened last week

Edit: you probably already found it but Granville has a little strip of places to eat as well. Denison is a great school!

Edit: I forgot to mention North Market, in walking distance of arena district.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ended up in Short North and ate at Pearl...fantastic food, reasonable price, great neighborhood. Stroll around the neighborhood gave me plenty of ideas for the next couple times we are here. Back in August to move her in, and back the first week in October for Parents day.

BTW, cool to see all the places in both Arena District and Short North opening at 9 today to pregame the parade..awesome job. That parade must be a blast, but we have stuff starting up again at 9 in Granville.

Thnks again all for all te great suggestions

Mead, if you ain't ever Duck Pinned, you ain't ever bowled.

Edited by plenzmd1

Ended up in Short North and ate at Pearl...fantastic food, reasonable price, great neighborhood. Stroll around the neighborhood gave me plenty of ideas for the next couple times we are here. Back in August to move her in, and back the first week in October for Parents day.

BTW, cool to see all the places in both Arena District and Short North opening at 9 today to pregame the parade..awesome job. That parade must be a blast, but we have stuff starting up again at 9 in Granville.

Thnks again all for all te great suggestions

Mead, if you ain't ever Duck Pinned, you ain't ever bowled.

in the fall you should try to plan for a home Buckeye game, and Short North Gallery Hop combo on a Saturday - day into night. First Saturday of every month. You will need to sleep all day Sunday (NFL games in the background of course) but it's worth it. Glad you liked The Pearl, it's a fun little spot. It's owned by Cameron Mitchell who is a huge local restauranteur. I think he's expanded into other cities/states but started here. Has a number of different restaurants/bars/steakhouses. Went to same HS as Jack Nicklaus (I wonder if he knows Nick OLeary!)

Edit: no need to secure tickets go to actual Buckeye game, just do the tailgate/campus experience and watch with the masses at the outdoor watch parties

Edited by YoloinOhio

if you ever see a town you're visiting is having pride weekend that weekend, don't go.

i ended up in charlotte last year during pride week and had no idea that it was going on. i was brutal as i always am with my insensitivity. walked by a tv with tents blocking all viewing. i said to my friend "wtf is this supposed to be?" voice from behind the curtain "come on in big boy it'll be a good time." i responded in not so nice words.

the weekend was full of debauchery via pictures from instagram friends.

if you ever see a town you're visiting is having pride weekend that weekend, don't go.

i ended up in charlotte last year during pride week and had no idea that it was going on. i was brutal as i always am with my insensitivity. walked by a tv with tents blocking all viewing. i said to my friend "wtf is this supposed to be?" voice from behind the curtain "come on in big boy it'll be a good time." i responded in not so nice words.

the weekend was full of debauchery via pictures from instagram friends.

So did you have a good time behind the curtain?