Meijers stores

Ice bowl 67

Kinda like the Wegmans from Grand Rapids. They then went on to invent the supercenter concept in the 1960s. They are not totally anti-union too... But quasi-union in parts. I suppose they are better than Wally Word.

They do have a nice garden:

http://www.meijergardens.org

IceBowl67... Take the ferry across the Lake to Ludington... Took the children there when they were young. We drove up the Wisonsin side to Manitowoc grabbed SS Badger (last coal fired steamship left on Great Lakes) to Ludington and then on to Grand Rapids, went to Meijer Gardens there on journey back home down Michigan's west coast. 1/2 "circle tour".

Saves you 3.5 hours... Hehe... 3.5 hours over the 7 hours (through Chicago) it would take you to go from Manitowoc County to that part of the Lower Pennisula via no automobile ferry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Badger

Oh... BTW, Ice bowl 67... What's w/the tacking on the "s" to Meijer (thread topic)... I always thought that the possessive "s" thing was always a crazy Chicago, Ill-Annoying trait! They get mad when you pronouce the "s" in Illinois but then that same "s" magically reapears in places like "Soldier Field." I didn't know it was more regional and bled its way up the west side of the Lake... Were you born in the Green Bay area?

Just kidding... I find it interesting how you tacked that "s" on (albeit w/out the apostrophe). I guess kinda like Wegmans does. That pesky "s" and even more pesky apostrophe (See: Macy's) or:

https://stancarey.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/apostrophes-in-business-names-and-place-names/

FWIW... It is just: Meijer as your original post correctly denotes.

@ least you say "you guys"... I guess we are regional blood brothers. Not that God awful "y'all" or even worse "youins." ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

We have Meijer. Nothing at all like Wegmans. It's a slight step above Walmart supercenter. Same offerings.

We do have grocery delivery from Meijer available through Shipt which is nice.

The newer one here is is pretty nice. More general merch though. Food same with prepared section and cafe. Nothing special, nice... Never got the Wegmans cult thing. Grocery section is just as meh as the others.

The newer one here is is pretty nice. More general merch though. Food same with prepared section and cafe. Nothing special, nice... Never got the Wegmans cult thing. Grocery section is just as meh as the others.

the one near me is new as well. It's fine, the chain as a whole has been this area at least since i moved here in 20 years ago. I like the one-stop shop aspect but it's a huge store so you need time. And not a fan at all of their private label on most anything I've tried.

the one near me is new as well. It's fine, the chain as a whole has been this area at least since i moved here in 20 years ago. I like the one-stop shop aspect but it's a huge store so you need time. And not a fan at all of their private label on most anything I've tried.

Yeah... Same here. I am not one wowed by the bells and whistles in places like Wegmans, etc... So maybe I am a bad judge and see through them all. Simply too parsed up of a market share here when it comes to grocery stores, supercenters.

I do like Hyvee in Iowa. Quirky like me.

What is it with the "Cult of the Wegmans?" Wegmans store brand IMO is horrible. My wife is totally sold on that schtick. This area, "Mariano's" is the Milwaukee (Roundy's, Kroger) flavor of the day.

It's food general merch. The dog and pony show, new store sprawl, I can live with, but not my cup of tea.

Maybe it is becausr my first job was the deli @ Dubel's. What a racket "perimeter" shopping is.

Yeah... Same here. I am not one wowed by the bells and whistles in places like Wegmans, etc... So maybe I am a bad judge and see through them all. Simply too parsed up of a market share here when it comes to grocery stores, supercenters.

I do like Hyvee in Iowa. Quirky like me.

What is it with the "Cult of the Wegmans?" Wegmans store brand IMO is horrible. My wife is totally sold on that schtick. This area, "Mariano's" is the Milwaukee (Roundy's, Kroger) flavor of the day.

It's food general merch. The dog and pony show, new store sprawl, I can live with, but not my cup of tea.

Maybe it is becausr my first job was the deli @ Dubel's. What a racket "perimeter" shopping is.

I really like Wegmans a lot. But then again I also run to the Save A Lot a lot, lol. So where ever I can find a place that sells beer and something to stuff in the cake hole I'm all good.

there is a very nice one off of 33 in delaware. that might be the nicest once i've been to in a long time. they moved in to toledo around 1992-93. much ado. i enjoyed it.

the rides were all 1 cent. high school girls used to take a thousand pictures of themselves riding them.

there is a very nice one off of 33 in delaware. that might be the nicest once i've been to in a long time. they moved in to toledo around 1992-93. much ado. i enjoyed it.

the rides were all 1 cent. high school girls used to take a thousand pictures of themselves riding them.

And I speak gibberish?

;-P

You should probably clarify the last sentence. You know about how Meijer stores having the one cent pony rides in the front of the store, for the children, as a tradition.

For the rest here, that is what is being alluded to in Boyst's post. I suspect something was cut off in his post?

And I speak gibberish?

;-P

You should probably clarify the last sentence. You know about how Meijer stores having the one cent pony rides in the front of the store, for the children, as a tradition.

For the rest here, that is what is being alluded to in Boyst's post. I suspect something was cut off in his post?

no. It was just a thing. Girls I went to hs with would post thousands of pictures riding the Penny rides on their geocities or expages or aol page

no. It was just a thing. Girls I went to hs with would post thousands of pictures riding the Penny rides on their geocities or expages or aol page

For many here that have never been to Meijer, probably couldn't figure out what you where talking about. I don't think anybody mentioned the penny mechanical horse rides the store has.

I knew what you were talking about. Same phenomenon happens here I suppose.

Anyway... Gotta get a few hours of shut eye... Heading back "home", in a few hours after my wife's board meeting, to WNY for Father's Day weekend...

speaking of stores in Toledo, I was sad when all the Andersons stores closed recently. I think the HQ was in Maumee.

speaking of stores in Toledo, I was sad when all the Andersons stores closed recently. I think the HQ was in Maumee.

I loved the Anderson's

Go up next time to Sylvania. The buckeye wolverine store. Its famous. It relocated years ago. Prior to that they had an alarm down the middle of the store that if crossed made a siren go off. A cash register for Michigan. A cash register for the Ohio state.

Toledo was a major part of the rivalry as there was almost a war fought over them