Mayweather against McGregor

CommonCents

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This fight is not as easily predictable as many in this thread claim.

A few things to keep in mind:

Conor has surprisingly good hand speed; he's a southpaw; he is tough as nails; he has legitimate KO power; and he is the naturally bigger man, which is always a big advantage in a fight.

If it goes to the scorecards and Floyd never touches the canvas, Floyd will win easily...

If Conor lands one of his KO punches with that unique, odd timing of his, and is just lucky enough to catch Floyd off guard...Floyd is toast.

I actually can't wait to see how it plays out, but will do so 1 week from tomorrow, when I watch the replay for free on HBO.

To go back to the track and field analogy-- bolt could trip or pull a hammy or have a mountain lion sneak into the arena and attack him... but without a big curveball it's got to be about as slam dunk as possible on paper

Better fight than I expected. Connor got gassed though and I think there may have been an agreement about stopping the fight beforehand when that happened. I give McGregor a lot of credit. He hung in there and didn't look too out of place save for the stamina. I think he even won the first 3 rounds.

Glad I didn't pay for something that the 2 treated as a friendly exhibition though.

Terrible decision. Connor had him early but got gassed allowing mayweather back into the fight.

I was really impressed with the reffing tonight. He was on point and kept it very clean.

Terrible decision. Connor had him early but got gassed allowing mayweather back into the fight.

Mayweather let him punch himself out, it was strategy. McGregor wasn't hurting him. That Mayweather came forward as much as he did should be a hint that he had no fear of getting hurt at all.

Better fight than I expected. Connor got gassed though and I think there may have been an agreement about stopping the fight beforehand when that happened. I give McGregor a lot of credit. He hung in there and didn't look too out of place save for the stamina. I think he even won the first 3 rounds.

Glad I didn't pay for something that the 2 treated as a friendly exhibition though.

I was really impressed with the reffing tonight. He was on point and kept it very clean.

But the stoppage was terrible, Connor was clearly aware and not taking unanswered shots.

But the stoppage was terrible, Connor was clearly aware and not taking unanswered shots.

Connor was done and not the least bit upset. which is why I think they had an agreement for when it became clear Floyd was going to win that a stoppage would occur.

and also the idea that it was a friendly exhibition for both to get paid. Connor made more tonight than any other UFC fighter has probably made in a career.

In a normal boxing match between 2 boxers the fight wouldn't have been stopped there I do agree with that

Well we all knew this is how itd go but it was fun to think he might do it. He certainly represented the UFC respectably. Oh yeah and he got a pretty nice paycheck too. Anyone think he might box again or go back to ufc?

I thought the stop was the right thing to do. Mayweather landed a solid 10 shots to the head (and missed half that many). McGregor wasn't defending himself. He couldn't even raise his hands to cover his face. Good stop, IMO. I watched the fight with 4 others and it was 3 who said bad stop vs. 2 of us who said good stop.

Regardless, Mayweather's camp had the right strategy. McGregor didn't look terrible, but don't forget - he fought a 40-year-old guy who hadn't fought in 2 years.

It was a good enough fight to have a rematch and make even more money. Mayweather says no; but it's Mayweather and he can't turn down money.

About as good a fight as anyone could have hoped for. McGregor had a ton of heart but clearly winded, looked awkward, and predictably gassed. Floyd much sharper, gained in strength as the fight wore on, technically and tactically sounder.

No rematch. It wasn't close if you know boxing.

About as good a fight as anyone could have hoped for. McGregor had a ton of heart but clearly winded, looked awkward, and predictably gassed. Floyd much sharper, gained in strength as the fight wore on, technically and tactically sounder.

Close? No. I agree with you 100%.

But people who know boxing didn't buy that fight to watch a good boxing match. They bought it to be entertained. I was entertained enough to pony up for a rematch.

Agreed 100%

And not interested in a rematch.