Rodak: Mike Tolbert could emerge as #2 RB

Didn't we have this same conversation last year when karlos came in worthless?? TD Mike ended up working out?? Well kind of he wasnt very effective when he had to be the number #1 but was a nice change of pace complement. Tolberts has carried the load at RB before so it's possible we may have upgraded.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tolbert has 1 rushing TD in the last 3 seasons, I'm not too encouraged about him being a goal line/short yardage guy. Maybe he'll be more effective here, he has had some great days in the past, but it's been quite a few years.

For 2016, he was strictly a fullback. Stewart, Whittaker, and Artis-Payne all got a lot of playing time.

For 2015, he was strictly a fullback, and was behind Stewart and DeAngelo Williams (who we should make a push for). EDIT: same for 2014.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

For 2016, he was strictly a fullback. Stewart, Whittaker, and Artis-Payne all got a lot of playing time.

For 2015, he was strictly a fullback, and was behind Stewart and DeAngelo Williams (who we should make a push for).

He was running behind, Stewart, Whittaker and Artis-Payne. If this guy is the number 2 I will switch my allegiances to the Chiefs because they drafted Mahomes.

Didn't we have this same conversation last year when karlos came in worthless?? TD Mike ended up working out?? Well kind of he wasnt very effective when he had to be the number #1 but was a nice change of pace complement. Tolberts has carried the load at RB before so it's possible we may have upgraded.

Something to add to this conversation

What people are not talking about are two things

Offensive line....this is a VERY good run blocking offensive line across the board.....even Jordan Mills is a decent run blocker and Dawkins has the power to be even better

Instead of going away from the FB they actually doubled down on it with one that might be an even better lead blocker and is more versitile

Style of play.....I feel like Denver's run schemes last year were ideally suited for a one cut runner...that is exactly what Jon Williams is.

Shady fits any offensive scheme....

For 2015, he was strictly a fullback, and was behind Stewart and DeAngelo Williams (who we should make a push for). EDIT: same for 2014.

that's kinda my point, he hasn't been used/effective for the last 3 seasons and he's 31 years old. I think it's a stretch to assume he could be a 2nd string RB of anything near the value we had with the last 2 backups.

Who didn't already expect him to be the 2?

me

that's kinda my point, he hasn't been used/effective for the last 3 seasons and he's 31 years old. I think it's a stretch to assume he could be a 2nd string RB of anything near the value we had with the last 2 backups.

me

I really like Tolbert as a goaline back or in a elephant offense trying to get some needed short yardage

You mean besides everyone?

Look, I'm not even one of the guys crying about losing Gillislee, but there's no way in hell I expect Tolbert to be the #2 HB.

I expected it. The guy is, by all reports, a very good running back. People see the balling ball look and think he's a short-yardage guy. He isn't. He is a running back. He would be a great change of pace back; good speed but different style of runner, forcing the defense to prepare for two different running backs. I loved Gillislee, but he ran like McCoy and didn't force defenses to adjust.

The problem is whether he can hold up for 17 weeks as the back who spells McCoy for a series a two a couple of times a game.

Plus, if McCoy goes down, Tolbert is not the guy to carry the ball 15 times a game for more than a game or two. So there definitely has to be a another quality running back on the roster.

But he hasn't even been used as a HB the past 3 years; he's been listed as FB on the depth chart. He obviously can run and catch, but was not given any opportunity to do so. If we had Stewart and Williams, Tolbert would likely not see the ball regardless. And I'm not pretending he's at the level of Karlos Williams or Gillislee (who we should have tendered at $1M higher), but do think he can be effective. I expect more from Tolbert than from Jonathan Williams.

I expected it. The guy is, by all reports, a very good running back. People see the balling ball look and think he's a short-yardage guy. He isn't. He is a running back. He would be a great change of pace back; good speed but different style of runner, forcing the defense to prepare for two different running backs. I loved Gillislee, but he ran like McCoy and didn't force defenses to adjust.

The problem is whether he can hold up for 17 weeks as the back who spells McCoy for a series a two a couple of times a game.

Plus, if McCoy goes down, Tolbert is not the guy to carry the ball 15 times a game for more than a game or two. So there definitely has to be a another quality running back on the roster.

Not sure why having a 'change of pace' back is so important to some fans. You are saying Gillislee ran the same as McCoy, it seemed to work well. If something is working, why should we 'change the pace' - just keep running the ball the way you are.

You mean besides everyone?

Look, I'm not even one of the guys crying about losing Gillislee, but there's no way in hell I expect Tolbert to be the #2 HB.

when everyone kept saying we signed 2 FBs, most people on here realized Tolbert would be a HB. And when we lost Gillislee and people were concerned about vet depth behind shady, most people that I saw on here felt like Tolbert would be the 2. That's why I wasn't really worried about it. He is a good player

So Tolbert could emerge as the #2. To that I say "who cares"? Does it really matter as we're sitting here today? If Micah Hyde were to get hurt, do I care that Shamiel Gray is slated as his backup? I just hope that the guys that are supposed to be the stars on this team stay healthy. I could care less about the contingency plan that really doesn't matter all that much.

Its not really that simple.

A good rotational back can be very effective for an offense as we saw last season with MG.... Replacing him with Tolbert or a struggling Jonathan Williams will be detrimental to the offense.

at some point will you promise to never talk about MG again?

I think Jwill would need to fumble away the job. He's clearly the better option to replace Mike. Unfortunately chris brown said he had ball security issues early on in OTAs.

Btw chris Brown also hates Andre Holmes. McD loves him. Didn't cb get the memo?

It's really not good if fumbling issues are happening before the pads come out.