Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

27 minutes ago, zevo said:

I agree...with some actual hockey trades and good goaltending i see no reason why we cant compete for playoffs next year.

I don't know.  We have Eichel, Middlestadt, and soon the greatest defenseman in hockey history but we'll need to caution that they might be grandparents before we're ready to contend.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

What crap.  A year ago Vegas had zero players, we have Eichel, are about to get Dahlin and now we're supposed to wait 5 more years to sneak into the 8 seed?

That is a joke.  Botterill should cut bait on losers like Beane did.  Nylander, Bogo, neck tatto and Drunken Donut need to be gone.  Maybe we can get something for Reinhart before the rest of the world realizes that he sucks.  The old GM was a loud loser. A quiet loser is less annoying but with the same end results.  He needs to get off his butt and not rely on 4 more lotteries.  Every other team in the league has had at least some success since we starting sucking at historic levels.  Sitting around and the tethering ourselves to losers is not a move forward strategy.

I agree with your assessment. This team has enough talent to compete and the future should be now.

As an aside, your neck tattoo and drunken donut nicknames are brilliant and always make me chuckle.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'll be interested to see how he does. 

He seems to be thought of very highly by the Leafs, and Avalanche (since they supposedly offered him a job running their entire hockey dept). 

Personally, I don't know much about him outside the little I've seen and read. 

I thought he got schooled by Rutherford in that Kessel trade. 

I also read something about how Mike Babcock was supposedly kind of steamrolling over Dubas before Lou got there (which I guess is partly why they brought Lou in, as he is someone Babcock highly respected). So it'll be interesting to see how that working dynamic plays out now. 

Itd it'd be great if Mark Hunter decided to move on now! He's probably the one I worry most about, as he is just so damn good at finding talent in the draft... 

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you objectively assess the Sabre roster last year and compare it to serious playoff teams this team is from an overall standpoint bereft of talent in comparison. When your big deals turn out to be modest in impact it reverberates throughout the roster. 

My belief is that there is not only no quick fix but resorting to such an expedient approach for the sake of respectability will only stall the movement forward to being a serious team. There is talent in the pipeline. Let it develop and then bring them in when they are ready. 

With respect to Bogo I'm not giving up on him. As I have said in other posts he needs to be less of a guerrilla player with a muscular game and become more of a finesse and skater and puck moving player. His talents very much mesh with the type of defense that Housely wants to run.  

I'm also not giving up on Nylander because he is still very young. If he doesn't develop that will be a major setback. I'm not optimistic about his prospects. 

And that's exactly where Murray went wrong.  He tried for that one shot fix, all while dealing off those picks which would have helped to replenish the depth significantly.  So he didn't address depth concerns and then also missed on his swing for the fences.  It was the perfect storm of screwups.

As for Bogosian, at 27, I'd say he is what he is at this point.  I hate that I'm saying it, but he's practically a senior citizen already at that age in today's NHL.  He also happens to have the fragility of a senior citizen as well.  Looking over his career stats, they look very consistent.  He's never going to change.

Nylander, you're right.  There's still time there, with two years left on his entry level contract.  This year really feels like it could be a make or break year though.  If there's little progress, I won't expect a thing from him beyond that.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

And that's exactly where Murray went wrong.  He tried for that one shot fix, all while dealing off those picks which would have helped to replenish the depth significantly.  So he didn't address depth concerns and then also missed on his swing for the fences.  It was the perfect storm of screwups.

As for Bogosian, at 27, I'd say he is what he is at this point.  I hate that I'm saying it, but he's practically a senior citizen already at that age in today's NHL.  He also happens to have the fragility of a senior citizen as well.  Looking over his career stats, they look very consistent.  He's never going to change.

Nylander, you're right.  There's still time there, with two years left on his entry level contract.  This year really feels like it could be a make or break year though.  If there's little progress, I won't expect a thing from him beyond that.

If Murray kept the picks he'd have selected crappy rookies like Nylander.  Instead he traded them for crappy vets like Drunken Donut.  Murray was the perfect storm of terrible GMing.  This new guy better get off his butt and purge the stench before it infects Dahlin.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

If Murray kept the picks he'd have selected crappy rookies like Nylander.  Instead he traded them for crappy vets like Drunken Donut.  Murray was the perfect storm of terrible GMing.  This new guy better get off his butt and purge the stench before it infects Dahlin.

Purging players is easy. Getting reasonable value back for players such as O'Reilly and Okposo is the problem. Getting rid of inconsequential players such as Larrson, Girgensons and whatever half dozen or more invisible players on the roster is easy. You get back nothing when you give up nothing. As it stands I see at the minimum a half dozen players cleansed from this roster without having an impact. Again, getting rid of players isn't the challenge; replacing them with better talent is the challenge. 

Will Lehner be back next year? Probably not. That's not the problem. Who is going to replace him? Is Ullmark ready to be a #1 goalie? I'm not sure. 

There is unanimity that Dahlin is going to be a special player. Is he going to be a savior? I don't believe so. This roster still has to have a major infusion of talent before it can be considered a serious team. When you watch the playoffs and compare those teams with the Sabres you realize how wide the chasm is. If you believe in miracles then more power to you. In the gritty world of hockey I still believe there is a long way to go for the Sabres to be a contending team. 

3 hours ago, shrader said:

WGR's Paul Hamilton covered the Amerks after the NHL season concluded. He basically said that when he watched him play over a series of games he didn't see anything in his lackluster play that would lead you to believe that he was going to make the leap forward. He said that he was so bad that he became an afterthought player on the bench. That is an ominous assessment. 

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

Purging players is easy. Getting reasonable value back for players such as O'Reilly and Okposo is the problem. Getting rid of inconsequential players such as Larrson, Girgensons and whatever half dozen or more invisible players on the roster is easy. You get back nothing when you give up nothing. As it stands I see at the minimum a half dozen players cleansed from this roster without having an impact. Again, getting rid of players isn't the challenge; replacing them with better talent is the challenge. 

Will Lehner be back next year? Probably not. That's not the problem. Who is going to replace him? Is Ullmark ready to be a #1 goalie? I'm not sure. 

There is unanimity that Dahlin is going to be a special player. Is he going to be a savior? I don't believe so. This roster still has to have a major infusion of talent before it can be considered a serious team. When you watch the playoffs and compare those teams with the Sabres you realize how wide the chasm is. If you believe in miracles then more power to you. In the gritty world of hockey I still believe there is a long way to go for the Sabres to be a contending team. 

WGR's Paul Hamilton covered the Amerks after the NHL season concluded. He basically said that when he watched him play over a series of games he didn't see anything in his lackluster play that would lead you to believe that he was going to make the leap forward. He said that he was so bad that he became an afterthought player on the bench. That is an ominous assessment. 

You're doing an excellent job of ruining my Dahlin high.  

I think there is reasonable talent coming to improve the blueline.  What do you know of the other Swede defenseman, Pilutin (sp?)?  Will Borgan is supposed to have top 4 potential.  In a few years, we should be pretty good with even some depth.  OTOH, the rest of the team is largely weak tea and question marks.  I am confident about Eichel, Samson, Mittelstadt.  ROR doesn't seem to fit the future, is too slow, and emo.  But how can you possibly deal him for value?  Then you have nice, useful parts like Rodrigues, unknowns like Smith, Olafson, and O'Regan, and a bunch of JAGs.  Ah, well.  

Edited by Dr. Who

50 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You're doing an excellent job of ruining my Dahlin high.  

I think there is reasonable talent coming to improve the blueline.  What do you know of the other Swede defenseman, Pilutin (sp?)?  Will Borgan is supposed to have top 4 potential.  In a few years, we should be pretty good with even some depth.  OTOH, the rest of the team is largely weak tea and question marks.  I am confident about Eichel, Samson, Mittelstadt.  ROR doesn't seem to fit the future, is too slow, and emo.  But how can you possibly deal him for value?  Then you have nice, useful parts like Rodrigues, unknowns like Smith, Olafson, and O'Regan, and a bunch of JAGs.  Ah, well.  

"Reasonable value" for Drunken Donut would simply be havinghimoffthe team.  He whines, gets drunk and runs overTimHorton's.  Yes, he has some marginally useful skill at times, as does neck tattoo.  But their negative vibes being removed, even with zero in return, adds to the team.  Waiting for teams to pay anything for them is going to be a long wait unless Tim Murray inexplicably lands in a position of power.

Edited by 4merper4mer

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

"Reasonable value" for Drunken Donut would simply be havinghimoffthe team.  He whines, gets drunk and runs overTimHorton's.  Yes, he has some marginally useful skill at times, as does neck tattoo.  But their negative vibes being removed, even with zero in return, adds to the team.  Waiting for steam to pay anything for them is going to be a long wait unless Tim Murray inexplicably lands in a position of power.

I think you are allowing your dislike of ROR to color your evaluation of his talent.  He's more than marginally useful, but I agree that it is pretty unlikely you could unload him for anything close to equitable value.  If he's truly an irremediable drag on the locker room, then I suppose you have to just get rid of him for a bag of pucks.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you are allowing your dislike of ROR to color your evaluation of his talent.  He's more than marginally useful, but I agree that it is pretty unlikely you could unload him for anything close to equitable value.  If he's truly an irremediable drag on the locker room, then I suppose you have to just get rid of him for a bag of pucks.

Good,

Bye.  

And I don't "dislike" him, I'm just observing his terrible effort and acceptance of defeat until he interviews AFTER the season with some schlub.  How about not waiting until after the season to change?  He didn't exactly look in tip top shape, did he?  

Equitable value for us cutting him.  If he can somehow change his attitude that changes, but very few people can

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

R.  I am confident about Eichel, Samson, Mittelstadt.  ROR doesn't seem to fit the future, is too slow, and emo.  But how can you possibly deal him for value?  Then you have nice, useful parts like Rodrigues, unknowns like Smith, Olafson, and O'Regan, and a bunch of JAGs.  Ah, well.  

Dahlin is going to be a generationally great player. Is he by himself going to elevate the team to the next level? No. Eichel is an elite player. How much difference has he made? The Sabres are building a core with Eichel, Dahlin, Mittlestadt,Reinhart, Guhle and Risto. In my estimation they can compete as a fringe playoff team next year assuming they make a number of astute moves. But they are still quite away from the top tier teams because the roster still lacks overall talent and more importantly lacks depth to absorb injuries. 

There are players in the pipeline. Most of them are at least a couple years away. It make absolutely no sense to trade them for short-term immediate help. There are people who are frustrated with O'Reilly and Okposo who have not come close to meeting expectations and play up to their grand salaries. There are some very frustrated fans who argue to get rid of O'Reilly for the sake of getting rid of him. Unless you get something near value for him it would be stupid to get rid of him.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

"Reasonable value" for Drunken Donut would simply be havinghimoffthe team.  He whines, gets drunk and runs overTimHorton's.  Yes, he has some marginally useful skill at times, as does neck tattoo.  But their negative vibes being removed, even with zero in return, adds to the team.  Waiting for teams to pay anything for them is going to be a long wait unless Tim Murray inexplicably lands in a position of power.

He’s also one of the best two way centers in the league but carry on with your idiotic crusade. 

Maybe you should call the whiner line?

On 5/11/2018 at 3:43 PM, 4merper4mer said:

If you need the cherry on top, don't look at how Myers & Armia are contributing to Jets' playoff run.

3 hours ago, GG said:

If you need the cherry on top, don't look at how Myers & Armia are contributing to Jets' playoff run.

Those two players who were dealt reinforce my point that when you have young talent in the system it is better to develop it rather than expel it for a more immediate return. Bad decisions cause bad outcomes; they add up and crush you. You can't move forward when you repeatedly do things that set you back. 

On 5/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, JohnC said:

Dahlin is going to be a generationally great player. Is he by himself going to elevate the team to the next level? No. Eichel is an elite player. How much difference has he made? The Sabres are building a core with Eichel, Dahlin, Mittlestadt,Reinhart, Guhle and Risto. In my estimation they can compete as a fringe playoff team next year assuming they make a number of astute moves. But they are still quite away from the top tier teams because the roster still lacks overall talent and more importantly lacks depth to absorb injuries. 

There are players in the pipeline. Most of them are at least a couple years away. It make absolutely no sense to trade them for short-term immediate help. There are people who are frustrated with O'Reilly and Okposo who have not come close to meeting expectations and play up to their grand salaries. There are some very frustrated fans who argue to get rid of O'Reilly for the sake of getting rid of him. Unless you get something near value for him it would be stupid to get rid of him.  

They absolutely need Mittelstadt to come close to his ceiling.  It becomes so much easier if you have those two stud centers.  I hate making the Pittsburgh comparison because those two are other worldly, but if you find yourself in a spot with two stud centers, they make everyone else better.  The forward core is going to look a hell of a lot better if he pans out.

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

They absolutely need Mittelstadt to come close to his ceiling.  It becomes so much easier if you have those two stud centers.  I hate making the Pittsburgh comparison because those two are other worldly, but if you find yourself in a spot with two stud centers, they make everyone else better.  The forward core is going to look a hell of a lot better if he pans out.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you about Mittelstadt. He certainly appears to be a high end prospect. But I doubt that he is going to be a dynamo next year. He's still very young and has to physically mature. He's not going to come close to his ceiling in a year or so. It will take a few years before he reaches the elite level that he is capable of. 

If you want to accelerate the development process of the younger players it is imperative that veteran players like O'Reilly and Okposo play at a higher level. What makes young players better is surrounding them with solid veteran players who will take the pressure off of the youngsters. The normal process for talented young players is that they get steadily better to the point where they cross the threshold of maturity. It takes time.  

Edited by JohnC

I didn't mean to suggest that any of that is happening next year.  I'd expect at least 3 years before Mittelstadt could be a true impact player.  It's nice to have both him and Dahlin joining the team at the same time and then hopefully hitting their prime together.  So at that point, that is when you hopefully can get to a plug and play scenario with many of the future young players.