Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Just now, bbb said:

I used to look to you for the silver lining and good times are just around the corner!  :lol:

When it comes to sports I have a simple philosophy when making an evaluation: Trust your eyes and not your heart. What you see is what you see. 

The silver lining is that Bonnie, Canisius, Niagara and UB are playing good ball. And all of these teams are entertaining. :)

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I can't believe Ryan Hartman returns a 1st and Kane doesn't. He has 8 goals in 57 games this year... 

Or Rick Nash at this point in his career. He has some known locker rooms concerns too (party boy, can be difficult to get along with etc). Kane  He's 33, has a pretty bad playoff track record where he's been invisible for large stretches. 

Plus he has just about an $8M cap hit. And Kane has had more goals and points than Nash the last 3 seasons. 

Or even Stasny, who also is getting old and has a huge cap hit, returns a 1st. But he has a much better reputation around the league. 

Damn it I hate being a Sabres fan sometimes. 

Hartman is an RFA - so under control.  Kane is a UFA and is going to ask for the moon.

At the end of the day, Kane's off ice issues and consistently selfish play has killed his value.  His production has never translated to winning and that's an understood fact.

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Kane's reputation must really be crappy around the NHL. 

Man, I can't tell you how much I hate the job Tim Murray did as our GM. I mean, really hate with a passion. He just burned through our assets like a drunken sailor.

It is all Kanes rep..but in terms of the trade, everything you said is hindsight. I think most on here were fine with the trade back then. I know I was. Myers was stagnant, Lemiuex had stated he would not sign here, not one single person was upset Drew was in the trade, but we fretted a bit about Armia, but also had high hopes for Bogo. 

Murray lost me with the first for Lehner and the Pysyk trade..that was when I lost hope in his skills and thought process.

17 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Rangers weren't kidding when they said they were going to be in sell mode.

They could be horrific for years now.

But man, they got some assets now. I think they did well for themselves..all depending if they can draft well..draft like the Sabres and ya dead!

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Hartman is an RFA - so under control.  Kane is a UFA and is going to ask for the moon.

He better hope they make the playoffs, and he has a strong showing in a long run. Pretty apparent what the rest of the league thinks about him no?

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

He better hope they make the playoffs, and he has a strong showing in a long run. Pretty apparent what the rest of the league thinks about him no?

Asking for and getting are two different things.  Kane needs a very strong showing down the stretch and also must be a key cog in a deep playoff run or he's going to have a tough time getting both big dollars and years.  He's been a perennial loser in the NHL and it's VERY hard to get that stench off you when you have the reputation for being selfish.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

He better hope they make the playoffs, and he has a strong showing in a long run. 

I think Kane can do just that. Just go off over a 16 game stretch in the kind of games he’s never played in. His style is tailor made for playoff hockey even when considering his puck hogging ways. So he has a great playoffs, the fans in San Jose fall in love, and the Sharks front office offers him that moon you mentioned. 

Then, after he signs his deal, he returns to normal, their locker room implodes, they miss the playoffs and we end up winning the lottery with that 2019 pick of theirs. 

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Asking for and getting are two different things.  Kane needs a very strong showing down the stretch and also must be a key cog in a deep playoff run or he's going to have a tough time getting both big dollars and years.  He's been a perennial loser in the NHL and it's VERY hard to get that stench off you when you have the reputation for being selfish.

I've been trying to think of those guys over the years who have been in the league for an extended period of time without making the playoffs.  I can't really think of any who are supposed to be a top line player like this.  It's almost always the journeyman or depth forward/defender.  I think it does say a lot about Kane.

26 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think most on here were fine with the trade back then. I know I was. Myers was stagnant, Lemiuex had stated he would not sign here, not one single person was upset Drew was in the trade, but we fretted a bit about Armia, but also had high hopes for Bogo. 

I was happy with getting Kane, and how it worked that he wouldn't help when we were trying to tank............But, I did say Did we really have to throw in that first? 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

To compound all their problems the worst thing about the Sabres is that they are insufferably boring. There is little passion and heart. The paying and viewing customer has tuned them out. They deserve to be ignored. I bought the Hockey Ice Center package. It was a waste of money.  

I know the players do this for a living and make a lot of money by everyday standards--but it must also be a motivation killer to recognize that the front office isn't doing anything to help them.   

Sort of like kids whose parents are unemployed, sleep in to noon every day and then yell at them to "bring me another beer!"

I bought a mini pack so I could go to games with my daughter. She played college at Brockport and was a groupie in high school. Last 2 games - she said let's get out of here after 2 periods. No heart in this team and the attendance shows. They get no money next year. You got a 2nd for Kane?

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I know the players do this for a living and make a lot of money by everyday standards--but it must also be a motivation killer to recognize that the front office isn't doing anything to help them.   

Sort of like kids whose parents are unemployed, sleep in to noon every day and then yell at them to "bring me another beer!"

The players have their jobs and the front office and coaching staff have their responsibilities. If the players perceive that the organization didn't do their jobs well, then so what? The players' job is simple: be prepared and play hard and give a maximum effort. Excuses are for losers. Oh, not surprising, the Sabres are losers. 

Just now, JohnC said:

If the players perceive that the organization didn't do their jobs well, then so what? The players' job is simple: be prepared and play hard and give a maximum effort. Excuses are for losers. Oh, not surprising, the Sabres are losers. 

And yet, isn't that same expectation on the front office.    The players take their cue from the FO's indifference--and so do the paying customers...

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And yet, isn't that same expectation on the front office.    The players take their cue from the FO's indifference--and so do the paying customers...

Players play! It is as simple as that. What the organization does should have no influence on how hard the players prepare and play. 

The paying customer decides to spend money for a variety of reasons. If they feel that the product is not worth spending their hard earn dollars for then they respond accordingly. I have no criticism for the fans for tuning out. It would be hypocritical for me to be critical of the fans lack of support because I have also responded accordingly. The Sabres as they are presently constituted are unwatchable. So for the most part I don't watch. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

It is all Kanes rep..but in terms of the trade, everything you said is hindsight. I think most on here were fine with the trade back then. I know I was. Myers was stagnant, Lemiuex had stated he would not sign here, not one single person was upset Drew was in the trade, but we fretted a bit about Armia, but also had high hopes for Bogo. 

Murray lost me with the first for Lehner and the Pysyk trade..that was when I lost hope in his skills and thought process.

But man, they got some assets now. I think they did well for themselves..all depending if they can draft well..draft like the Sabres and ya dead!

I hated that Kane trade form the second it happened. I was furious. I thought we massively overpaid. 

And I don't see all that stuff I said in the post you quoted as hindsight, since it was well known before the trade ever happened. 

-Everyone in the NHL did know that Winnipeg had to trade Kane.

-His teammates did mutiny against him.

-He did decide to have season ending elective shoulder surgery during The Jets first playoff run since moving back to Winnipeg (in fact, they hadn't made the p,ayoffs since '06-'07 when they were still the Atlanta Thrashers).

-At the time of the trade, he had only scored 20 goals 1 time in his 6 NHL seasons. 

-his trade request to Winnipeg was well known 

I actually even said all of this stuff before the trade ever happened when discussing why I didn't want the Sabres to trade for him. Obviously my view hasn't changed...lol. 

I wasnt necessarily mad about the players we lost. Just on who we spent them on, and how they were traded. I felt Kane wasn't all that special, and that he was a bad influence for the kids. 

My view was that if you if you want to trade those guys, you do it in separate trades, or you wait and use that package for a player deserving of that type of return.

We were at the very start of our rebuild. That was the type of move you make if you are a player or two away from a Cup run, not the type you make when just starting a rebuild. I could justify it a bit more if at least Kane were the type of player known to be a great veteran leader presence, who did all the right things and would teach the young kids the right way. But Kane was exactly the opposite of that. He was known for not being a good professional, and for not preparing the right way for games (he didn't even believe he had to show up early and warm up for games like the rest of his team, which was part of the issue his teammates had with him in Winnipeg). 

Anyway... I'm done ranting... lol. It's all water under the bridge now. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I hated that Kane trade form the second it happened. I was furious. I thought we massively overpaid. 

And I don't see all that stuff I said in the post you quoted as hindsight, since it was well known before the trade ever happened. 

Anyway... I'm done ranting... lol. It's all water under the bridge now. 

I did not mean  to imply anything other than at the time, almost everyone, including me, was on board for the trade. I was thinking change of scenery and all that. Be imteresting to see now that he is gone if stories start to unfold on how/why he was a bad room guy.

• Like (+1) 1