Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

7 hours ago, bbb said:

Yeah.  I remember all that, and I know the % was 20% for McDavid...........I didn't really do the math though - and realize that the odds are the odds are greater than 50% of the last place team getting the 4th pick.  That sucks.  Can't even root for a tank at this point.  Good thing we're on a roll! 

I think that's why they made the change. 

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Correct. 

What really sucks is that they chose to change it pretty much the year after the Sabres started their rebuild. 

It used to be that the draft lottery was only for the 1st overall pick, and a team could only fall 1 spot (that's how we got Eichel, but they changed it immediately after that). The last place team used to have 25% odds of picking #1. Now they only get an 18% chance at #1 and can fall 3 spots. 

But at least we tanked in time to get Eichel... 

That is one messed up lottery.  2nd to last team has almost 2/3 chance picking 4th or 5th?  That's nuts.  The odds are way too high for teams finishing 5-8 to land a Top 3 pick.  An 8th worst recod gives you an 18% chance to pick Top 3?  That team is realistically a playoff contender.  Crazy.

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, GG said:

That is one messed up lottery.  2nd to last team has almost 2/3 chance picking 4th or 5th?  That's nuts.  The odds are way too high for teams finishing 5-8 to land a Top 3 pick.  An 8th worst recod gives you an 18% chance to pick Top 3?  That team is realistically a playoff contender.  Crazy.

Or you could look at it as the 8th worst record gives you an 82% chance of picking 8-11?