Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think I heard on GR yesterday he is involved in something like 43% of all Sabre goals, the highest in the league. Dude is awesome. 

And BTW, Harrington is a complete ass.

It figures that Eichel would be involved in a high percentage of our scoring,  but I think that’s a bit of a double edged sword on such a low scoring team. That’s not a knock on Jack at all, but he’s all we got. A point a game player on a team this poor offensively is truly amazing though.

As for Harrington, I agree. But there is no need to insult asses like that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It figures that Eichel would be involved in a high percentage of our scoring,  but I think that’s a bit of a double edged sword on such a low scoring team. That’s not a knock on Jack at all, but he’s all we got. A point a game player on a team this poor offensively is truly amazing though.

As for Harrington, I agree. But there is no need to insult asses like that. 

Both last year and this year, Eichel has gotten much better as he's gotten deeper into the season.  That's the kind of guy you need to get into a playoff series.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think I heard on GR yesterday he is involved in something like 43% of all Sabre goals, the highest in the league. Dude is awesome. 

And BTW, Harrington is a complete ass.

I was just coming here to post the same thing. They showed it during the Sabres/Flames game. 

I couldn't find the actual graphic, but yes i believe it was 43%. I know it led the entire NHL. McDavid came in 3rd just for reference... (McD was pretty invisible last night, eh?) 

Eichel's continued development has been impressive to watch. 

You have to give Housley his due credit in Eichel's development. He really seems to have been able to reach Eichel and get him to change certain aspects of his game (like  backchecking and playing defense, for one). 

You can see a lot of guys (slowly) starting to do what Housley is asking of them more and more. It's amazing how much better the Sabres play when they actually listen to their coach and follow his game plan! 

The Risto-Eichel-Reinhart-OReilly goal on the PP was easily the best goal teamwise they have had all year. That was a beaut. Finally the power play is starting to click. Hope it keeps going for a bit but not counting on it. And damn, the Oilers suck and thems are some ugly-ass uniforms. McDavid did nothing and mostly looked disinterested.

22 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was just coming here to post the same thing. They showed it during the Sabres/Flames game. 

I couldn't find the actual graphic, but yes i believe it was 43%. I know it led the entire NHL. McDavid came in 3rd just for reference... (McD was pretty invisible last night, eh?) 

Eichel's continued development has been impressive to watch. 

You have to give Housley his due credit in Eichel's development. He really seems to have been able to reach Eichel and get him to change certain aspects of his game (like  backchecking and playing defense, for one). 

You can see a lot of guys (slowly) starting to do what Housley is asking of them more and more. It's amazing how much better the Sabres play when they actually listen to their coach and follow his game plan! 

So nice to have something encouraging to latch onto.  How great would it be to be able to add Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Guhle and Ullmark to the mix next year?

Game Preview: 1/25/18 at VAN

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Tuesday, January 23
Buffalo 5 at Edmonton 0
Goals: O’Reilly (2), Reinhart, Girgensons, Eichel
Goalie: Lehner (33 saves/33 shots)
PP: 3/4; PK: 2/2; Shots: Buffalo 34 – Edmonton 33

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 177)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Jacob Josefson (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 5 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 5 games
Josh Gorges (illness, Jan. 22) –2 games
Nathan Beaulieu (undisclosed, Jan. 23; injured reserve) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/19: Recalled F Nicholas Baptiste from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Zach Bogosian on IR
1/23: Recalled D Matt Tennyson from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Nathan Beaulieu on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Jan. 30: New Jersey at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 1: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 3: St. Louis at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 6: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 8: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at CANUCKS
  • This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Canucks this season.
  • Last meeting: Vancouver defeated Buffalo 4-2 in Buffalo on Oct. 20
  • The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Canucks; 1-8-1 on the road.
  • This is the 120th game all-time between Buffalo and Vancouver; Buffalo has a 48-52-19 series record.
  • The Sabres are 17-31-11 on the road against the Canucks all-time.

Morning Skate: January 25, 2018 at 2:15 PM – 3:15 PM at Rogers Centre

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

57 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

So nice to have something encouraging to latch onto.  How great would it be to be able to add Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Guhle and Ullmark to the mix next year?

Oh man, I want Dahlin SO bad! 

I just have zero hope of winning a draft lottery. I am planning on being pushed back the max 3 spots. As long as we can stay in the top 5 though... top 5 looks real strong this year. Some really good d men in this draft. 

I dont want to rush Mittlestadt. If he's absolutely 100% ready, then great. But if there's any doubt I'd rather keep him in college an extra year than rush him to the NHL too early, like we did with Reinhart and Nylander (He should have stayed and played in Sweden instead of being pushed into the AHL too soon. I guess Sweden actually made a big deal about Tim Murray rushing him to the AHL. They were pissed and felt it hurt his development (which looks to be true). I guess they even brought it up in a meeting with all the GM's). 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I just have zero hope of winning a draft lottery. I am planning on being pushed back the max 3 spots. As long as we can stay in the top 5 though... top 5 looks real strong this year. Some really good d men in this draft. 

I dont want to rush Mittlestadt. If he's absolutely 100% ready, then great. But if there's any doubt I'd rather keep him in college an extra year than rush him to the NHL too early, like we did with Reinhart and Nylander (He should have stayed and played in Sweden instead of being pushed into the AHL too soon. I guess Sweden actually made a big deal about Tim Murray rushing him to the AHL. They were pissed and felt it hurt his development (which looks to be true). I guess they even brought it up in a meeting with all the GM's). 

Wasn’t Nylander playing in Mississauga? 

12 minutes ago, thebug said:

Wasn’t Nylander playing in Mississauga? 

Yes. But he was on loan from Sweden's AIK hockey for the year. 

Thats why why he was eligible for the AHL before 20yrs old. He wasn't considered a major junior player, but a european player on loan to major junior. 

Had the Sabres not made him play in the AHL he would have went back to Sweden to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Does anyone know what the draft odds are this year for the first 4 picks?  I think it's probably still 20% if you finish last, but not sure about the others.

Projected Lineup

Nicholas Baptiste will return to the lineup after sitting as a healthy scratch in Edmonton, taking the place of Jordan Nolan. The rest of the lineup is expected to remain the same:

28 Zemgus Girgensons - 15 Jack Eichel - 21 Kyle Okposo
20 Scott Wilson - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 23 Sam Reinhart
Evander Kane - 22 Johan Larsson - 29 Jason Pominville
67 Benoit Pouliot - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 13 Nicholas Baptiste

Marco Scandella - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
19 Jake McCabe - 93 Victor Antipin
41 Justin Falk - 8 Casey Nelson

40 Robin Lehner 
31 Chad Johnson

56 minutes ago, bbb said:

Thanks.  Am I reading it right?  The last place team has a 52% chance of getting the #4 pick? 

Correct. 

What really sucks is that they chose to change it pretty much the year after the Sabres started their rebuild. 

It used to be that the draft lottery was only for the 1st overall pick, and a team could only fall 1 spot (that's how we got Eichel, but they changed it immediately after that). The last place team used to have 25% odds of picking #1. Now they only get an 18% chance at #1 and can fall 3 spots. 

But at least we tanked in time to get Eichel... 

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Correct. 

What really sucks is that they chose to change it pretty much the year after the Sabres started their rebuild. 

It used to be that the draft lottery was only for the 1st overall pick, and a team could only fall 1 spot (that's how we got Eichel, but they changed it immediately after that). The last place team used to have 25% odds of picking #1. Now they only get an 18% chance at #1 and can fall 3 spots. 

But at least we tanked in time to get Eichel... 

Yeah.  I remember all that, and I know the % was 20% for McDavid...........I didn't really do the math though - and realize that the odds are the odds are greater than 50% of the last place team getting the 4th pick.  That sucks.  Can't even root for a tank at this point.  Good thing we're on a roll!