Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

51 minutes ago, GG said:

2 goals directly led by piss poor attempts to clear the defensive zone.   Mind-numbing that it's still happening in January.

Why was Scandela standing by the post on the Rangers' winner? Talk about a useless place to be.

I have to say that Nash played a good game.  I think he's so underrated.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Why was Scandela standing by the post on the Rangers' winner? Talk about a useless place to be.

I have to say that Nash played a good game.  I think he's so underrated.

True.  BTW. how in the world did The King make that last stop on Risto?  Is Reinhart truly transparent, like his play has been?

3 minutes ago, GG said:

True.  BTW. how in the world did The King make that last stop on Risto?  Is Reinhart truly transparent, like his play has been?

I think Henryk played it like Miller used to play.  Get in the right position and trust that the puck will find you.  The fact that he closed his glove to prevent a rebound was miraculous.

I think Sam played pretty well last night.  He doesn't mind being in the corners and he doesn't mind standing in front and taking his lumps. I don't think he's good at producing with his back to the net.  I also don't think this staff can find a productive place for him on this roster.  I'm hopeful that something changes with him on this team because I think he's more useful than not.

Another note (I admittedly haven't watched more than half of their games this season): it seems as though Jack should just shoot the puck much more than he does.  He keeps deferring to someone else with a cute pass. More often than not, his teammate isn't expecting it and the chance gets wasted. And if they can get him someone like Sam who CAN finish up rebounds, then they've got something.

...and while I like Risto a lot, I think he's terrible at clearing the puck out of his own zone.  He can't make a pass out which creates a chance up ice.

Game Preview: 1/20/18 vs. DAL

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Thursday, January 18
Buffalo 3 at NY Rangers 4
Goals: Okposo, Falk, Ristolainen
Goalie: Lehner (30 saves/34 shots)
PP: 2/4; PK: 2/2; Shots: Buffalo 37 – NY Rangers 34

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 165)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Victor Antipin (illness, Dec. 29) – 8 games
Jacob Josefson (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 2 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 2 games
Nathan Beaulieu (illness, Jan. 18) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/17: Recalled D Casey Nelson from Rochester (AHL)
1/18: Activated D Victor Antipin from IR
1/19: Recalled F Nicholas Baptiste from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Zach Bogosian on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Monday, Jan. 22: Buffalo at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 23: Buffalo at Edmonton, 9 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 25: Buffalo at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 30: New Jersey at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 1: Florida at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME
STARS at SABRES
  • This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Stars this season.
  • Last meeting: Dallas defeated Buffalo 5-1 in Dallas on Nov. 4
  • The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Stars; 7-2-1 at home.
  • This is the 122nd game all-time between Buffalo and Dallas; Buffalo has a 56-48-17 series record.
  • The Sabres are 33-15-11 at home against the Stars all-time.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

This just in: Lehner blows. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

He overplays pucks WAY too much. 

It it seems like almost every game there is a goal scored against us that is directly due to him overplaying a puck and getting caught out of position. Like goals #3 and 4 (the game winner) against the Rangers. Or the 1st goal today (I think there was another today too). 

For such a big big goalie he sure sucks at just staying in net and using his big body + positioning to stop pucks. I'd love Ryan Miller here right now to tutor him on positioning. 

Lehner doesnt appear to be the long term solution in net. Sucks that Buffalo will never come close to recovering the asset given up to acquire him. And when you look at the players that were available at pick #21 of that very deep 2015 draft it makes it even worse.... 

How great would it be to, instead of having Robin Lehner, have someone like Brock Boeser, who has 22 goals (would lead all Sabres), 40 points and is on pace to break Pavel Bure's rookie scoring record in Vancouver...?

Or Jacob Larsson (looks great on Ahaheim's blue line), Sebastian Aho (16 goals and 37 points, which would be 2nd on the Sabres ahead of Evander Kane), or Noah Juulsen (another good young defenseman), Colin White, Travis Konecney, Anthony Beauvillier, Jack Roslovic, Jeremy Roy, Travis Dermott, Brandon Carlo (good young d man for bruins), Oliver Kylington (yet another good young d man) and the list goes on and on... 

Tim Murray really screwed our rebuild. So many blown and traded away picks...

Sorry, just venting. lol 

1 hour ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Mission accomplished!

Only one injury.

The typical "upper body" to Hanzal.

Only one injury? I don't think that's true. Several Sabres suffered bruised labia. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

He overplays pucks WAY too much. 

It it seems like almost every game there is a goal scored against us that is directly due to him overplaying a puck and getting caught out of position. Like goals #3 and 4 (the game winner) against the Rangers. Or the 1st goal today (I think there was another today too). 

For such a big big goalie he sure sucks at just staying in net and using his big body + positioning to stop pucks. I'd love Ryan Miller here right now to tutor him on positioning. 

Lehner doesnt appear to be the long term solution in net. Sucks that Buffalo will never come close to recovering the asset given up to acquire him. And when you look at the players that were available at pick #21 of that very deep 2015 draft it makes it even worse.... 

How great would it be to, instead of having Robin Lehner, have someone like Brock Boeser, who has 22 goals (would lead all Sabres), 40 points and is on pace to break Pavel Bure's rookie scoring record in Vancouver...?

Or Jacob Larsson (looks great on Ahaheim's blue line), Sebastian Aho (16 goals and 37 points, which would be 2nd on the Sabres ahead of Evander Kane), or Noah Juulsen (another good young defenseman), Colin White, Travis Konecney, Anthony Beauvillier, Jack Roslovic, Jeremy Roy, Travis Dermott, Brandon Carlo (good young d man for bruins), Oliver Kylington (yet another good young d man) and the list goes on and on... 

Tim Murray really screwed our rebuild. So many blown and traded away picks...

Sorry, just venting. lol 

Agree with everything here, especially about Lehner's uncanny ability to take himself out of position because he can't stop his mass once it's in motion. He also can't track a puck to save his life. I'm sure someone will be by shortly to tell us all about how his save % is upper echelon, etc. He is a poor goalie. Period. 

No need to apologize for a good vent, either. That team deserves every negative comment they get. They are too comfortable with losing and have been since the tank years. Somewhere, Nolan and Bylsma smile. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wow!  This Stars game stands out as a low point in this already horrible season.

That was really ugly.  That was "Fire the coach" ugly or something like that.

I don't think Housley will be touched this season, but someone has to pay for this crap! 

These guaranteed player Ks have to go!