Boone Jenner - Alexander Wennberg - Nick Foligno
Tyler Motte - Jordan Schroeder - Markus Hannikainen

Defensemen
Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Goaltenders
Sergei Bobrovsky
Joonas Korpisalo

Others: Dean Kukan, Sonny Milano (upper body), Zac Dalpe

Injured reserve: Ryan Murray (upper body), Brandon Dubinsky (fractured orbital bone), Cam Atkinson (fractured foot)

SABRES
Forwards
Evander Kane - Ryan O'Reilly - Jason Pominville
Zemgus Girgensons - Jack Eichel - Kyle Okposo
Scott Wilson - Evan Rodrigues - Sam Reinhart
Benoit Pouliot - Johan Larsson -- Jordan Nolan

Defensemen 
Marco Scandella - Rasmus Ristolainen
Nathan Beaulieu - Jake McCabe
Brendan Guhle - Justin Falk

Goaltenders
Linus Ullmark
Chad Johnson

Others: Josh Gorges, Zach Bogosian, Robin Lehner

Injured reserve: Victor Antipin (illness), Jacob Josefson (lower body)

1-11: JASON BOTTERILL ON WGR (16:00)

Happy to be joined now by #Sabres GM Jason Botterill at @716FoodandSport!

Botterill- You have to have about 25 plans. You have to adapt to what's happening in the trade market. What's the development of your young players. Are they going to be ready? It's a balancing act.

Botterill- You have to be prepared for a call to come in tomorrow. It can't be this panic rush. We know what players we want to go after in the league and their prospects. We've talked about so many different scenarios that could arise.

Botterill- Our preference is whether it's prospects or draft picks... guys who are ready to step in not years down the road from now, but who are ready to step in at a years time or at most two years

Botterill- We'll talk to him after he's done with season at the University of Minnesota. We don't want to be a distraction to him, we know he's developing, we're hopeful they are going to have a very strong second half.

Botterill- We have a very bright future with Linus. We're really excited about him. We'll be interested to see how things go tonight, but we know he's going to be a NHL goalie in the future.

Botterill- With Guhle, he's done an outstanding job throughout the year, we felt that it was a situation here, let's get him in here for a couple games, see how it materializes, thought he gaves us a spark from the back end on Tuesday

@pham1717
Botterill confirmed Guhle and Ullmark will go back to Rochester after the game.

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

What did Housley say? I missed it. 

Said certain guys were more interested in points(personal) than wins.

BTW, I want Ulmark and Guhle in Rochester rest of the year, no need to have them up here and deal with the losing. Get used to winning with those boys, bring that energy to Buffalo next year.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Said certain guys were more interested in points(personal) than wins.

BTW, I want Ulmark and Guhle in Rochester rest of the year, no need to have them up here and deal with the losing. Get used to winning with those boys, bring that energy to Buffalo next year.

Adding Dahlin and Mittelstadt next year to the mix would supercharge the rebuild.  Too bad draft lottery treats us like NFL refs treat Pats* opponents.

A piece from known Kane detractor Damien Cox.

Here’s the problem with Evander Kane.

When he was drafted, he was viewed as a prototypical power forward. A new era Cam Neely.

That was 2009. And that’s the problem. It’s not 2009 anymore. Kane brought the skill set to the NHL, and then the NHL changed around him.

Power forwards, players who can hit and fight and bang bodies and create havoc, well, they’re just not in vogue right now. Maybe they never will be again, at least not to the same extent they were. The game has changed that dramatically in less than a decade. The “intangibles” that used to enhance the value of such players, particularly the intimidation factor and the ability to “wear down” the opposition, aren’t weighted as heavily any more.

So it’s an intriguing question as to what teams might give up for Kane. The smart ones will evaluate him and offer a price based on what he does, rather than what he was projected to be able to do before the NHL changed on him.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Catching some of the Amerks game on MSG and all I have to say is I hope the Sabres will hire their play by play guy when Rick hangs it up for good. Dunleavey is terrible, especially over the radio. 

I don't know about the Amerks guy, but you're right about Dunleavey on the radio.  He's apparently not aware that the listener can't see what's going on.  There's  a big difference between calling a game on TV and calling it on radio and he doesn't get it.

42 minutes ago, snafu said:

I don't know about the Amerks guy, but you're right about Dunleavey on the radio.  He's apparently not aware that the listener can't see what's going on.  There's  a big difference between calling a game on TV and calling it on radio and he doesn't get it.

My bar is low at this point, since I listen on the radio in the car, etc. more then watch on TV.  Just give me the damn score!  It's infuriating.  If Rick can't do it, how about assigning Rob to do it?

FOUR assets for Kane?

As he was talking about the asking price for big scorers like van Riemsdyk to Montreal's TSN Radio 690 on Tuesday, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger revised what he reported last Friday regarding Buffalo's asking price for winger Evander Kane.

"If Buffalo gets a first (round pick), a prospect, a roster player and a conditional pick - which I was corrected on, frankly after I wrote that on Friday, they want a roster player in addition to the other three assets - for Evander Kane, a pending unrestricted free agent. If they get all that, or there's a belief they get all that, imagine what the Leafs might get for JVR, Bozak, Komarov or all three..." he said. "...but the 'own rental' philosophy is probably more likely given the Toronto Maple Leafs' position in the standings."

1-17: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (9:46)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - you have to ease back into things off of the break, don't want to rush into anything at practice today. We've got to be ready for the Rangers tomorrow in New York. #Sabres

Housley - The Rangers have a lot to play for, so we'll have to be ready and be in the right mindset to get off to a good start. #Sabres

Housley - I thought our team responded the right way after the loss to the Jets on Tuesday night. Linus came in and provided a great start for us, and gave us a great chance to win. Guhle had a solid game as well. #Sabres

Housley - Guhle and Ullmark will stay in Rochester for now and we'll continue to let them develop. But maybe giving them another look will be a topic of discussion. #Sabres

Housley - I don't want to take anything away from Rochester and what they've accomplished this season, but maybe we'll give more players who will be a part of our future a look. We want them here if they're playing well, but we also want Rochester to keep playing well. #Sabres

Housley - I think it's important we get things right, but down the road the GMs will have to find ways to make the offside challenges a bit quicker to decide. #Sabres

Game Preview: 1/18/18 at NYR

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Thursday, January 11
Columbus 1 at Buffalo 3
Goals: Pouliot, Okposo, Eichel
Goalie: Ullmark (44 saves/45 shots)
PP: 0/0; PK: 0/1; Shots: Columbus 45 – Buffalo 29

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 161)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Victor Antipin (illness, Dec. 29; injured reserve) – 7 games
Jacob Josefson (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 1 game
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/12: Assigned D Brendan Guhle and G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL)
1/17: Recalled D Casey Nelson from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Jan. 20: Dallas at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 22: Buffalo at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 23: Buffalo at Edmonton, 9 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 25: Buffalo at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 30: New Jersey at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at RANGERS
  • This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Rangers this season.
  • Last meeting: New York defeated Buffalo 3-2 (OT) at Citi Field in New York on Jan. 1
  • The Sabres are 3-5-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Rangers; 4-4-2 on the road
  • This is the 179th game all-time between Buffalo and New York; Buffalo has an 81-62-35 series record.
  • The Sabres are 33-34-20 on the road against the Rangers all-time.