Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Eichel play was awesome, Pouliot looked like #11, Caps broadcast team was batshit this Dcorp  shut them down. 

Bonus , game for me was on CSN,like that squad way more than NBCSN

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes. Shoot the frigggin puck!

Drinking game ..every time a hockey player says "stick with it" after a win, holy criminy drunk in 5 minutes

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11-8: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (12:41)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - I thought it was a pretty complete game by our group. We did it for 60 minutes. We've had some good stretches in other games, but last night was a full-60 minute game #Sabres

Housley - we were able to play in the offensive zone more because we protected our net more. When you do the right things more often, you get rewarded #Sabres

Housley - since moving up to the line with ROR and Okposo, Pouliot has been playing with confidence. That line has been very productive for us #Sabres

Housley - Okposo had a tough start, he'd be the first to admit it. He expects a lot from himself. It starts with his work, and he has to continue to work through it. He'' eventually get rewarded #Sabres

Housley - I have no problem if we win without a defenseman scoring. We just have to defend. We do have to find ways to get pucks to the net, have to continue to get more bodies in front of the net. #Sabres

Housley - Baptiste is a big body. He can bring a physical presence too. He has to use his speed and get on the forecheck. I really liked his line with Reinhart and Griffith last night #Sabres

Housley - we have to have an attack, shot mentality on the powerplay. That will set us up and get us out of the gate right away. I have total faith that this will turn a corner, the shots are coming. We have to stay with it #Sabres

Housley - I think this team has turned for the better. We still have areas to work on, but I liked our effort last night. We have to focus on what we do best and what we can control #Sabres

Housley - we have to build off our effort last night, and find some consistency in our game now #Sabres

Housley - Guhle is in a good spot right now in Rochester. He's playing a lot of minutes there. I like where he is at right now. The AHL is a very good league to develop. #Sabres

Housley - Nathan Beaulieu and Josh Gorges will join us today for their first full practice since their injuries #Sabres

Housley - Jack has been playing pretty consistently. He's an unselfish player, but we're going to try and get him focusing more on shooting the puck. He tends to agree on getting more shots on goal #Sabres

Housley - he's a proud guy, a true competitor. He wants to win, so we have to continue to reinforce our message #Sabres

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

When will they put 3-4 game win streak together? 

That doesn't happen until the second they get the powerplay going.  Their lack of scoring, combined with all the shorties pretty much singlehandedly accounts for at least 3 losses so far.  I know that probably doesn't sound like much, but swap out 3 losses for wins and look where they would be in the standings.

2 hours ago, snafu said:

After they're mathematically eliminated.

Aren't they already toast by the way the playoff structure works?

(unless they have a 10 game win streak and play .600 the rest of the way...)

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Aren't they already toast by the way the playoff structure works?

(unless they have a 10 game win streak and play .600 the rest of the way...)

There's a whole lot of mediocre in front of them right now.  Playing at that .600 mark the rest of the way would almost take care of it on it's own.  I doubt they have that in them, but stranger things have happened.

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's a whole lot of mediocre in front of them right now.  Playing at that .600 mark the rest of the way would almost take care of it on it's own.  I doubt they have that in them, but stranger things have happened.

It's not mediocre ahead of them.

The top teams that got over the first month's hurdle now have the ability to sit back and remove the "full-court press" and play for the road tie each and every time. They dog it when it suits them to coast to get to OT.

That 3rd point handed out frequently, and the East vs East concentration means that a team in the bottom 3 or 4 is in dire trouble to try to catch up.

It was like the Jays "only 5 back of the Wild Card" so they are in the hunt.

But they were behind 9 teams to grab that spot, so it was way worse than "only 5 back."

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

It's not mediocre ahead of them.

The top teams that got over the first month's hurdle now have the ability to sit back and remove the "full-court press" and play for the road tie each and every time. They dog it when it suits them to coast to get to OT.

That 3rd point handed out frequently, and the East vs East concentration means that a team in the bottom 3 or 4 is in dire trouble to try to catch up.

It was like the Jays "only 5 back of the Wild Card" so they are in the hunt.

But they were behind 9 teams to grab that spot, so it was way worse than "only 5 back."

Outside of Tampa, there is no one that has separated themselves from the pack.  The rest of the division is floating around .500, the definition of mediocre.  Every single one of these teams is completely capable of going into the tank for an extended period of time.  The math is never going to be easy, but with 60+ games remaining, there's a hell of a lot of juggling in the standings to come.  Things are exactly how the league wants it, every single one of these teams is very much alive.

If you want a clear look at how a team makes a move in the standings, take a look at the last 10 games column of the standings for each team in the division.  Two teams will jump out at you.  Those are the same two teams who have moved the most in the standings recently and it is very obvious why.  Things can change quickly over a 10 game span.  Everyone else has tread water over that time and you can expect mostly the same.  The key for this team and any other is to break away from that spot where they're taking 50% of their points.  Only one or two will.