Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

The atmosphere at Sabre games is one of the worst in the league, and a lot of people in there in recent years were there not as hardcore hockey fans, but b/c it was something to do on a Tuesday night in Buffalo in January...or whatever.

That has now faded I guess if tickets cost beer money.

Most Sabre games in the last 5 years (?) have been remarkably boring.

It was awful last night. I feel obligated to go as in town for the week, but much like many a Bills game the last 17 years, pre and post game way more fun than the actual game

Another NBC game? Great, I get another night of listening to where every single player used to play.

Staying at my buddies house, just figured I did not know how to use his cable as could not find the game at 7 or 7:30. Never occurred to me on national tv two nights in a row

It was awful last night. I feel obligated to go as in town for the week, but much like many a Bills game the last 17 years, pre and post game way more fun than the actual game

Staying at my buddies house, just figured I did not know how to use his cable as could not find the game at 7 or 7:30. Never occurred to me on national tv two nights in a row

I also think it starts at 8. It's 5pm PST.

I realize the D is all messed up right now, but this team has me concerned.

I'm almost ready to start getting on Eichel's case.

We need a bunch more pieces and of higher quality if we are going to emerge as some rebuilt game winning machine.

There is not enough there, now.

We need a bunch more pieces and of higher quality if we are going to emerge as some rebuilt game winning machine.

Eichel was not good tonight.

Agreed. I just don't see this as a talented team relative to the rest of the pack. Throw in that they are underperforming as well, and I just don't see a team that will compete for a playoff spot this season.

Eichel had a bad night, but he's been bringing it most nights. I agree he needs to do more to carry this squad, but I'm still more concerned with guys like Risto and McCabe.

I'm more of a casual hockey fan than anything, so someone please tell me the farm system is looking bright because I'm starting to get impatient with this long rebuild.

Edited by Rockpile233

10-26: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (12:42)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard Simon right now on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - We got into a good rhythm in the first period, but I think we lost the discipline in our gameplan in the second period. #Sabres

Housley - we got away from what made us successful. We had the breakaway in the second period that we didn't score. How do you react to it?

Housley - we got a little too aggressive, which gave the other teams a little too much to work with #Sabres

Housley - We gave up the middle of the ice last night, and the Blue Jackets attacked it on the rush. #Sabres

Housley - you have to take what's given. We want to be aggressive, attack up ice.

Housley - We have to play good without the puck and make the right decisions.

Housley on Scandella - Marco is a competitor. He's taken in a lot of minutes and has embraced his role. #Sabres

Housley on Antipin - When he came back, his game made a turn for the better. Needs to keep using his speed, skating #Sabres

Agreed. I just don't see this as a talented team relative to the rest of the pack. Throw in that they are underperforming as well, and I just don't see a team that will compete for a playoff spot this season.

Eichel had a bad night, but he's been bringing it most nights. I agree he needs to do more to carry this squad, but I'm still more concerned with guys like Risto and McCabe.

I'm more of a casual hockey fan than anything, so someone please tell me the farm system is looking bright because I'm starting to get impatient with this long rebuild.

The Farm is pretty bare, right now. Probably another couple years before the next high hopes are ready to play full time in the NHL.

Sam Reinhart has me concerned. He was in theory the best forward in the world in his draft year but it just doesn't translate, yet at least, to some dominant force on the ice. The whole idea of the suffering was to emerge with quite a few really special players....it just isn't there.

The Farm is pretty bare, right now. Probably another couple years before the next high hopes are ready to play full time in the NHL.

Sam Reinhart has me concerned. He was in theory the best forward in the world in his draft year but it just doesn't translate, yet at least, to some dominant force on the ice. The whole idea of the suffering was to emerge with quite a few really special players....it just isn't there.

I think Sam is probably going to get moved if he doesn't assimilate to Housely's system.

As for the farm system, there's high hopes for Nylander, Middelstadt, and Asplund, but the depth doesn't look great right now.

Okposo is done.

Reinhart can most certainly be considered a bust at this point. His regression is just too noticeable.

Please remove Kane from Eichel's line as soon as anyone, ANYONE with a pulse can be inserted at LW. I love Kane's game but you can't have two puck hogs on the same line and Kane is no Eichel when it comes to finding the open man and getting it to him.

11-01: Sabres head coach Phil Housley with Howard and Jeremy (8:15)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - Obviously we'd like to have a better record and better stance in our division through the first month of the season. #Sabres

Housley - I think we've made some great strides, but we need to be better with our overall game. #Sabres

Housley - We need to know what it takes to win in this league, and we'll continue to work on getting better #Sabres

Housley - we have to take what the game gives us. If we have to defend, let's defend well. If we can attack, let's go on the attack #Sabres

Housley - We have to continue with our process and play a full 60-minute game #Sabres

Housley - we have to be mentally tough through the struggles and not change our game. #Sabres

Housley - we have to get dirty in the offensive zone. We have to protect our goalie in the defensive zone. #Sabres

Housley - McCabe's game is improving. Tennyson has played a good, consistent game. Overall, that tandem has been consistent for us #Sabres

Housley - we're going to stick with that pairing. I think they've done a nice job with playing all the minutes they play #Sabres