Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Their goaltending is fine. Lehner is more than capable, and is still improving. OchoCinco is a competent backup as well. The key is improved play defensively and hope some youngsters step up.

You think so? Damn, every time I watched a Sabres game last year that came down to a shootout he was turrible. He had some great saves, but if we are judging a goaltender on individual talent (not based on the defense in front of him) is there any better metric than one-on-ones? I thought he kinda sucked myself.

IMG_0532_2.jpg

Captain Jack will get you high tonight.....(Hey, that would be a great song for the arena to play each time he scores)

You think so? Damn, every time I watched a Sabres game last year that came down to a shootout he was turrible. He had some great saves, but if we are judging a goaltender on individual talent (not based on the defense in front of him) is there any better metric than one-on-ones? I thought he kinda sucked myself.

Captain Jack will get you high tonight.....(Hey, that would be a great song for the arena to play each time he scores)

Last year Lehner was just abysmal in the shootouts, and yet in the games he was usually great against clear breakaways. Stopped them on a regular basis. Not always of course but he was very consistent. It didn't make any sense. It was akin to kickers in the NFL who missed a bunch of extra points but never miss 33-35 yard field goals.

Yeah, I get that. Still seems that a simple quote would be appropriate similar to what the agent provided.

In the age of instant access to news, you can't wait around for a comment before you post anything or it will already be old news. No story here...

I don't care what they're saying. This thing has been done for months. It gets announced right on the eve of the season? What a coincidence! I said back during the summer either here or on Sabrespace that this thing was done and they were going to hold onto in until the right time and that's exactly what they did. I don't blame them for doing that. I'd probably do the exact same thing if I was in their shoes.

My guess is they probably would have announced it slightly sooner, but the strong start of the Bills made that not necessary.

I know that was the speculation correct? Didn't Sylvester say it was done in August? Would just be mildly surprised that Dreger and McKenzie were so far off..I mean damn, Dreger was just yesterday morning could go to next summer.Make you wonder if it really was done, sure he wont use that source anymore.

And if it wasn't, wonder if it was Jacks team or the Sabres leaking it goes to next summer to try and get a deal done.

Games start tonight fellas, and with due respect to 33 and thebug, J_E_T_S, lets go Jets!!!! :lol: Go Jets Go!

You should be banned from this site for even typing those words!!!! :lol:

Hoping for an 8-7 type game and a win for the Leafs, but Laine scoring 7 on the PP for my hockey pool........

Check out this great breakdown of Mittelstadt's first college goal.

I think that this kid may be as good as Eichel - yeah, I said that out loud. If I'm right, we are going to be one dynamic team next year.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2017/10/1/16394854/casey-mittelstadts-amazing-goal

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Check out this great breakdown of Mittelstadt's first college goal.

I think that this kid may be as good as Eichel - yeah, I said that out loud. If I'm right, we are going to be one dynamic team next year.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2017/10/1/16394854/casey-mittelstadts-amazing-goal

I saw that before. It's sick. He's a special player. Maybe two years away but can't wait for him. I am excitied about Guhle for the future, Nylander has a ways to go to impress me, but this guy looks terrific.

It might actually be the worst way to evaluate a goalie. Those 1-on-1 situations account for at best 5% of what a goalie sees during any given game. The shootout itself is a completely artificial scenario.

You should be banned from this site for even typing those words!!!! :lol:

Hoping for an 8-7 type game and a win for the Leafs, but Laine scoring 7 on the PP for my hockey pool........

Pool or Fantasy?

If Sabres cant be on opening night, I will take this Leafs game. Should be fun to watch

The NHL screwed the Flyers giving them 3 games out West the first 4 nights of the season

Nice going handing them the Sharks Kings Ducks for 1 point out of 6 and exhaustion right off the bat.

Saw they played San Jose tonight and thought.damn that sucks for the Flyers fans, followed by a :thumbsup: NHL :lol:

Now I see the 3 in 4, that really does suck! But, good to get in West Coast trip early while you could be out a few days in advance to get body clocks adjusted.

@PierreVLeBrun

Of Eichel's $80 M contract, $15 M of it is in signing bonuses, $7.5 M sb in 2020-21 and $7.5 M sb in 2022-23

Sabres head coach Phil Housley says the coaching staff will discuss the vacant captaincy today.

Housley won't say which way he's leaning for captain. Says he wants to talk with coaches this afternoon @WKBW #SabresNHL_2017_2018_Buff_Sabres.png

Pool or Fantasy?

If Sabres cant be on opening night, I will take this Leafs game. Should be fun to watch

The person who runs it calls it a keeper fantasy pool. You are the GM and get to keep 15 starters every year and have 7 rounds of draft picks and free agents after the draft to fill out your roster. You bring guys in and out of your line-up based on when they play and on nights when there are lots of games, you have to leave some players on the bench because you are limited to how many can be on your active roster on each night. This "pool / fantasy" league has been running for about 15 years. I got in as an expansion franchise about 4 years ago and able to get plenty of good young players because my team sucked! Now things are looking up!

Deadspin's why every NHL team is bad

https://deadspin.com/every-nhl-team-is-bad-a-season-preview-1818851595

Buffalo Sabres

2016-17 record: 33-37-12

Whats bad: Theyre paying Ryan OReilly, who has never had more than 64 points in a season, $7.5 million per year through 2023. Thats a lot of money for someone that could crash his vehicle into a donut shop and flee the scene at any moment. Zach Bogosian is OReillys mirror image on defense: overpaid and getting way too much ice time. Even though theyve been a garbage franchise that has missed the playoffs for six straight years, they play on national television like twice a week and no one knows why. Flipping on NBCSN and always seeing the Sabres is not unlike seeing The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen on HBO 11 times a month. Nobody is paying for cable to see this crap.