Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Thought the Sabres were going to go with a D man, but nice pick!

I think my Leafs got a steal at 17. Projected top 5 pick before getting mono last season. Skates like the wind. Hoping for Karlsson 2.0.

Hate the schedule in regards to Sabres vs Leafs rivalry. No games for 5 months and then 4 games in 29 days? Hopefully those games will be huge for both teams playoff hopes and result in amazing hockey!

Edited by thebug

Thanks for this, 26! Across the boards, he's ranked very high!

You're welcome. Should be a key player for the Blue and Gold in a couple of seasons:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/06/23/nhl-draft-2017-first-round-picks-scouting-reports/424648001/

8. Buffalo Sabres — C Casey Mittelstadt. A very heady and skilled player at both ends. Operates on a different level from the rest of his teammates, both at the high school and USHL levels, but when working with other high hockey IQ guys on his wing during international events, he demonstrates superior skills and thought processes. Able to read off creative linemates and move instinctively to open ice, creating dangerous chances constantly. He’s got an explosive stride with an effortless shot release. We love his competitive fire. Likes to carry the puck and gains the offensive zone easily, backing defenders off the blue line. Has continued to round out his game in a gradual build-up, getting incrementally bigger, stronger and faster each of the past three seasons. Thick build and deceptively strong. Needs to move his feet more — it’s so easy for him to dominate at high school level that he picked up some lazy footwork habits.

2nd rounder also a center. Have they given up on retaining Eichel long term? I hope not.

Then a goalie. That's good.

No way they've given up on retaining Eichel.

They might be thinking about moving Samson, which would not make me happy.

Rumors that Hanifan might be available.

2nd rounder also a center. Have they given up on retaining Eichel long term? I hope not.

The traditional thinking is to draft centers and make them wingers. Centers generally have a more well rounded defensive game so they're more likely to progress faster.

The traditional thinking is to draft centers and make them wingers. Centers generally have a more well rounded defensive game so they're more likely to progress faster.

I'm fine with the draft. Are we done on D or do you think there is a trade or free agent signing coming?

Shattenkirk keeps getting mentioned, but he disappeared in the playoffs and is likely very expensive.

Don't see how we can afford him and Bogo and no one is going to take Bogo's contract.

We're going to do something else on defense but at this point it's anyone's guess how it shakes down. I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Bogo can find his game under Housely's system, which seems to match more with the things Bogo does well.

We're going to do something else on defense but at this point it's anyone's guess how it shakes down. I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Bogo can find his game under Housely's system, which seems to match more with the things Bogo does well.

I am also somewhat hopeful that Bogo plays much better in Housely's system.

I just don't see how we can keep him and add Shattinkirk's salary -- for those who are speculating about Shattinkirk.

Garth, fwiw, not much, probably, now seems to think it's likely Kane gets traded for an established D.

Unless we know Kane won't resign, I'd rather keep him.

I am also somewhat hopeful that Bogo plays much better in Housely's system.

I just don't see how we can keep him and add Shattinkirk's salary -- for those who are speculating about Shattinkirk.

Garth, fwiw, not much, probably, now seems to think it's likely Kane gets traded for an established D.

Unless we know Kane won't resign, I'd rather keep him.

I think Bogo will be fine with Housley and playing shorter minutes as a 5/6. Little pricey for that slot, but we have NcCabe and Guhle on the cheap ...so maybe it evens out.

I think you will know by July 2 if Kane will resign for what they are offering. If he says no, he gots to go. But don't expect to get back fair for fair, new team is going to have to negotiate an extension before a trade and I personally can't see an established top 4 coming back that has any term left...should be interesting

Love the goalie. Suck it Cal Peterson.

I don't blame Peterson, just like I don't blame Vessey..they played by the rules. If I was Peterson, I too would want to explore all my options and see which ones offer the quickest path to the NHL

I don't blame Peterson, just like I don't blame Vessey..they played by the rules. If I was Peterson, I too would want to explore all my options and see which ones offer the quickest path to the NHL

Can't blame Petersen or Vesey.

@BuffaloSabres

At #37 overall, we pick center Marcus Davidsson 1f1f8-1f1ea.png "A gritty two-way worker." @SabresProspects had him ranked #31 1f449.pnghttp://bufsabres.co/uTQ2K8

DDF-AESUAAAGLPY.jpg

Goaltender @ukkopekkaluukko is a Buffalo Sabre! The Finnish 1f1eb-1f1ee.png prospect was ranked #1 European goalie by @NHLCentralScout. #NHLDraft

DDGCqN3W0AAWrZu.jpg

Side note, Holy cow, look @ Euro unis... Like skating billboards.

Like AD said.

Wasn't wow wee Phil Housley an offensive minded Dman? Drafting this way seems it would fit his scheme. Can't have too many centers.