Jonathan Williams DUI verdict: Not Guilty

This. My father in law was run over while crossing the street by a drunk driver.

There is never a good reason to get behind the wheel after drinking. The penalty should be far more prohibitive so that people just do t do it... in Europe it's almost unheard of.

I think -- at least I hope -- that this is the underlying belief even though much of the discussion has been focused around what to do if you're stopped.

My wife and I stopped driving after having more than a couple of drinks a good while back -- probably about the time Uber came to our town. Now we don't even think about it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't they mostly the opposite anyway? Drinking age typically lower than driving age, so people 1) get used to drinking and getting a ride and 2) get the new, fun, & reckless drinking out of the way (generally) before driving is allowed?

There is certainly some other social components at work along with better transportation. But the penalties, at least in Germany are comparatively huge, and the entire group of mid 20 year olds from England, Spain and Germany we hung out with drank like fish but never got behind the wheel with even a drop consumed.

And to tie it back to the topic, I don't know why they don't hammer it home to these kids that with the money they stand to lose... just do not ever do it. There is never an acceptable reason.

J will is lucky.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

This. My father in law was run over while crossing the street by a drunk driver.

There is never a good reason to get behind the wheel after drinking. The penalty should be far more prohibitive so that people just do t do it... in Europe it's almost unheard of.

Yeah there's a real difference in alcohol attitudes. In my kid's school the drinking age being 21, it's the big deal to drink at the "in" parties and the kids who drink, drink to get ****-faced (binge). When my kid went to Germany on an exchange program, beer was served at school events and parties, and her 16 yr old partner usually took a beer (drinking age is 16). But getting ****-faced was considered a "social crime" and subjected to merciless peer mockery.

One difference in the drinking and driving is that in European cities, one can usually get around very well by public transit whereas in the US driving is often the only option (and certainly in rural areas taxi/uber not so available).

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

• 2 weeks later...

He's lucky and hopefully he learned a very valuable lesson.

I don't think he's a bad kid. Just an idiot that made a big mistake. Let's hope that suffering no consequences doesn't give him a sense of immunity.

And this on the same day as the Uber presser.

Edited by Blokestradamus