RIP Jean Sammet - the inventor of COBOL

I remember reading an article recently that the demand for COBOL programmers is up because old the older programmers that wrote programs still in use today are retiring.

This is true. However a lot of the support for legacy systems is now coming from India so it's not really helping us much in the US.

I can solve your nonexistent Y2K problem! I wonder how much my old COBOL books would be worth on fleabay these days?

She was 89. And her accomplishments helped changed the way the world works today. Simply amazing.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

I can solve your nonexistent Y2K problem! I wonder how much my old COBOL books would be worth on fleabay these days?

She was 89. And her accomplishments helped changed the way the world works today. Simply amazing.

First year university gave us business students Basic and science and engineering students got Fortran and Cobol (forget which was which.)

We shared a common lab and our Basic assignments would tell us in a second where the flaw was in our answer. The other programs were compilers and took hours to respond as working or not-working, with no further direction.

Teams of nerds would be sitting there waiting and then explode into screams with eff shots ringing out when the code failed them.

It was quite amusing.

I remember reading an article recently that the demand for COBOL programmers is up because old the older programmers that wrote programs still in use today are retiring.

That's a true story.

Other programmers in S. Valley and telcom valley are sometimes considered old by 34. So Get your masters degree. come in make your stack quickly and get out. And then "consult" at double your previous salary. Of course you need to be top 5-10 in your area of expertise.

Sent from my IBM 286 using Earthlink dial up

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. RIP.
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
DISPLAY 'RIP'.
STOP RUN.

Edited by stevewin

COmmon Business Oriented Language.

In college we studied and coded in it a lot.

Why are 2 major computer pioneers (Jean and Grace Hopper) women yet in 2017 we have such a hard time getting women to code? Obviously it's not because they can't IMHO.

I got my greatest COBOL line from the Computing Center men's room at North Texas State University. If you ever did COBOL on Punch cards you'll get it.

COBOL programmers have bigger decks.

Edited by reddogblitz