Universal Basic Income - From the left to the right

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always like the idea of completely revamping the welfare system, I think we have too many serial abusers in the system who are perfectly content living mediocre lives and having to work as little as possible. So from that perspective I could see how a UBI could be a useful tool to replace the welfare state as we know it.

There are two issues we would still need to address because I'm not sure replacing one program with another will address these issues on their own:

1) Dependence on your federal handout is excessively generational. If this was about helping just those who fell on difficult times in spite of their efforts, that's one thing. But many welfare recipients are taught how to game the system with little effort by family and circle of friends. And they learned from their family and friends. These are not people who are simply having a bad year. This is their way of life because it has been the way of life for the past few generations. No idea how to disrupt that cycle, but it's very real.

2) Abuse is going to happen regardless of the program because the program requires people to oversee a giant bundle of cash. Regardless of how means-testing takes place, those in charge of distribution are part of the weakest link because corruption is always in lockstep with large bundles of cash.

That said, it's easy to point out these issues and much more difficult to determine the best way to address them. Being cut from the 'give a hand up, not a handout' cloth, it's difficult to opine on this topic because any steps for self-accountability are usually met with the left's well-orchestrated global scream of "You want to steal food from babies and kill them!!!"

Fair enough. So what's the point? What is the end result you'd expect to achieve?

take even more money from people who studied, work hard and try to take care of their own, and hand it over to people who refuse to do any of that.

there are some situations where this is justified, but it's also a cauldron for fraud and laziness to take advantage of decent people.

reading about LBJ's 95th poverty program to eliminate all the rats from the inner city, they bite children and it honestly is a horrible thing back in 1966 or so.

it became roasted by the press and Congress as a Civil Rats bill with members asking if they have to deputize their cats or put them through intense intel scrutiny to chase the rats.

We're talking about giving everyone $10M so that is enough where if they want t move they can.

Yes sir, we'll just print another trillion or so to meet this demand.... that will put people on an equal footing...

LOL if it wasn't so sad....