Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

My comment wasn't about Sam Watkins. I think he's a great WR. He benefited from an all-or-nothing QB. Unfortunately, there's just not enough "all." And usually, the "all" never shows up when we need a TD.

You said every game. And while TT needs to improve in some areas, he wasn't the reason the Bills didn't make the playoffs in 2016.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This highlights the limitations of football stats.

It's true Tyrod didn't pass for a lot of yards per game because he wasn't asked to.

But that begs the question, why didn't the coaches ask for more from Tyrod?

Tyrod has a decent QBR and passer rating because per attempt, he's efficient.

But he doesn't put up a lot of yards per game because (a) the coach's philosophical preference for the run, and/or (b) his coaches don't believe in him enough to call a lot of pass plays.

If last year's answer was (a), we can't blame Tyrod for his comparatively low production. But if was (b), we can.

I got an alert from NFL app asking who would you rather him - Jim Kelly or Tyrod Taylor? Stats can be insane. I believe Rob Freakin' Johnson had a higher qb rating on the Bills than Jim Kelly.

You said every game. And while TT needs to improve in some areas, he wasn't the reason the Bills didn't make the playoffs in 2016.

No crap. Who said he was.

He was the reason the offense couldn't score when they needed to, however. That is a fact.

But nearly the entire team sucked. Not just Tyrod.

No crap. Who said he was.

He was the reason the offense couldn't score when they needed to, however. That is a fact.

But nearly the entire team sucked. Not just Tyrod.

A top ten scoring offense should be a playoff team. The defense was the main problem.

A top ten scoring offense should be a playoff team. The defense was the main problem.

That is such a lazy assessment. But it's a popular one. Nice job falling in line.

That is such a lazy assessment. But it's a popular one. Nice job falling in line.

But stating that all of TT/Watkins numbers were because of prevent defense in every game. That's not lazy. And the defense was the main problem with this team, not the offense, in 2016.

Completely different players. What are you talking about? Maclin is a speedy playmaker who keeps safeties honest. He was miscast in a horizontal KC passing offense. That signing never made any sense to me. He's nothing like Bobby Woods.

No one said they are the same player. But production is production, which was Wood-ish. I'd be extremely wary of paying a 30 year-old who had a "down year" when his team made the playoffs. That tells me a lot of things we're going right on that team, but not him. Wonder why.

Edited by Saint Doug

But stating that all of TT/Watkins numbers were because of prevent defense in every game. That's not lazy. And the defense was the main problem with this team, not the offense, in 2016.

You mean the defense that couldn't get off the field? And when they did, they had to come back on after record-setting 3 and out "drives?"

And let go of the "every game," phrase. Hyperbole, meet JM2009. JM ... Hyperbole.

You mean the defense that couldn't get off the field? And when they did, they had to come back on after record-setting 3 and out "drives?"

And let go of the "every game," phrase. Hyperbole, meet JM2009. JM ... Hyperbole.

So the last Miami game they couldn't get of the field after the Bills went up with a minute to play? Or getting gouged in the run game.Up big against the raiders-was the defense gassed then? Offense almost set an NFL record for not turning the ball over, and the defense did not get the ball back near enough.

"The culmination of some these issues and more resulted in Rex Ryan being fired after his defense fell apart again. Players hinted for a second year in a row that the defense was too complicated for them to successfully perform."

And you said every game.

So the last Miami game they couldn't get of the field after the Bills went up with a minute to play? Or getting gouged in the run game.Up big against the raiders-was the defense gassed then? Offense almost set an NFL record for not turning the ball over, and the defense did not get the ball back near enough.

"The culmination of some these issues and more resulted in Rex Ryan being fired after his defense fell apart again. Players hinted for a second year in a row that the defense was too complicated for them to successfully perform."

And you said every game.

Tyrod is a 3 and out machine when we need at least a couple first downs to give the defense a breather. The Oakland game is the prime example of that. Once their offense seemed to get into gear in the 2nd half Tyrod could not muster a first down to save his life. There were guys open, but he either did not see them or he missed the open man with an errant pass. This same repetitive behavior could be seen in many other games, but the Oakland game stands out in my mind. So to answer your question, yes, Tyrod contributed to the defense running out of steam by not being able to make key reads, throws, and hence 1st downs.

I guess I am a sucker because it is a big name player but I would like to add him. Take the name recognition away and he is still a damn good player and offers something the Bills don't currently have

I guess I am a sucker because it is a big name player but I would like to add him. Take the name recognition away and he is still a damn good player and offers something the Bills don't currently have

anyone know what the cost is to claim in on waivers. I wonder if all the guarantee money is off the books . If so it is really 3 one year contracts

anyone know what the cost is to claim in on waivers. I wonder if all the guarantee money is off the books . If so it is really 3 one year contracts

he won't be subject to waivers

Agreed. for instance If a team scores 50 points a game in three games against bad team and 30 points in the next 3 games against good teams that is a 30 point average and a 3-3 record.

So the second Miami game was the fault of the offense.

True, but then how many QBs play that well in Seattle without their top WR?

Seattle was allowing 230 yards and a shade over 1 TD a game. So it was a slightly above average game.

Which is good. I'm not knocking it! But to johns question of the big mystery of consistency-- it's no mystery at all. Tons of players are talented enough to flash for short stretches. A good matchup, a hot week, a perfect scheme, a lucky bounce.... the great ones do it more often. That's all. Lots of mid tier players are mid tier for that reason.

Tyrod is a 3 and out machine when we need at least a couple first downs to give the defense a breather. The Oakland game is the prime example of that. Once their offense seemed to get into gear in the 2nd half Tyrod could not muster a first down to save his life. There were guys open, but he either did not see them or he missed the open man with an errant pass. This same repetitive behavior could be seen in many other games, but the Oakland game stands out in my mind. So to answer your question, yes, Tyrod contributed to the defense running out of steam by not being able to make key reads, throws, and hence 1st downs.

Bills had 39 three and out drives in 2016. The least was Atlanta with 24. the most was the rams with 59. Atlanta was just 13 % with these three and outs. The Bills were 22%. The Rams were 30%. two playoff teams were worse than the Bills.

Edited by JM2009

The end of that game through the start of the next had an unbelievable run of both sides of the ball collapsing. What was it, like 40 points allowed and only 4 first downs from the offense or some nonsense over a 2-3 quarter window.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2016/