Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

I grew up in Buffalo but have lived a lot of places since then including prominently the three big S's: St. Louis, San Francisco and Seattle. My strong impression is that Buffalo is NOT a good place for foodies.

"Peas and Carrots" strikes me as a good comparison because I envision Buffalo food, I imagine something very unadventurous.

What am I missing?

I think the distinction would be between "Buffalo" dishes, which typically just involve hot sauce and bleu cheese and can be found nationwide, and the actual food selection in Buffalo. There are many different restaurants, festivals, food trucks, etc., and they provide a great variety from what I have experienced.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do asparagus similarly. Oven at 400 for 8-10 minutes with olive oil, salt and pepper. After 8-10 minutes add a generous amount of Romano or Parmesan (I'm Italian so I prefer Romano) and bake for another 5 minutes. They'll be crispy and delicious.

Never thought of asparagus....sounds great

Up until the turtles comment I thought you were thinking of me

Yeah...I know you and BuffaloPA are pretty dedicated workout guys

LOL....Kirby started it. It's a good way to kill time until the Maclin news breaks. Speaking of which, do you think Maclin likes Blue Cheese or Ranch with his wings?

if he prefers ranch with his wings he can walk the hell right out of the building and go pound sand

I do asparagus similarly. Oven at 400 for 8-10 minutes with olive oil, salt and pepper. After 8-10 minutes add a generous amount of Romano or Parmesan (I'm Italian so I prefer Romano) and bake for another 5 minutes. They'll be crispy and delicious.

Don't forget diced garlic! The Romano is key!

No way...Buffalo has old school italian, the best pizza, wings that are classic (crispy and saucy) and a great assortment of other foods (fish fry, hot dogs, sausage, Broadway Market, etc.). It's a different style of food...more Americana than the new age stuff.

It's definitely not the most diverse, and a lot of my favorite places trying new things have closed down while the old standards stayed on. But it has a lot of stuff you don't find in other places. Spars does German food better than the one specialty store I know of in Philly. I haven't found a single place that does Leberkase here.

People look at me crazy when I try to recreate Beef on Weck, and I still yearn for a Ted's Hot Dog.

I also have found how rare it is to find pizza that I grew up with. I see a lot of the NY style, but that is something that really doesn't work well with most toppings, and their pepperoni is usually limp, greasy and inedible. I miss being able to have a pie that is chewy, crisp, and can take a lot of toppings.

@viccarucci

My 3 #Bills thoughts: Proceed w caution when pursuing older WRs. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/wURM84Gp8U

Every party needs a pooper, that's why they invited you.

It's definitely not the most diverse, and a lot of my favorite places trying new things have closed down while the old standards stayed on. But it has a lot of stuff you don't find in other places. Spars does German food better than the one specialty store I know of in Philly. I haven't found a single place that does Leberkase here.

People look at me crazy when I try to recreate Beef on Weck, and I still yearn for a Ted's Hot Dog.

I also have found how rare it is to find pizza that I grew up with. I see a lot of the NY style, but that is something that really doesn't work well with most toppings, and their pepperoni is usually limp, greasy and inedible. I miss being able to have a pie that is chewy, crisp, and can take a lot of toppings.

Maybe he was influenced by his TBN colleague Bucky.

if he prefers ranch with his wings he can walk the hell right out of the building and go pound sand

Agreed. Maybe he's a guy (like me) that doesn't even use the blue cheese...I really enjoy the taste of the wings crispy with the hot sauce on them...the blue cheese sometimes screws up the flavor in my opinion. Depends whose blue cheese it is (JustPizza in West Seneca has pretty good blue cheese)

6 eggs? Do you have a stained gray sweatshirt? a mattress hanging on a rope for a punching bag? Two turtles in a glass aquarium?

No but at 58 I do 320 -400 push ups. 140 pullups. last set 25. Bench close to 300. Lift weights and band work . one hour and a half 4 times a week. 5-9 180.

It's sad. Vic used to be one of my favorite reporters.

Since he started at BN I feel his work has declined

CBF

Agreed. Maybe he's a guy (like me) that doesn't even use the blue cheese...I really enjoy the taste of the wings crispy with the hot sauce on them...the blue cheese sometimes screws up the flavor in my opinion. Depends whose blue cheese it is (JustPizza in West Seneca has pretty good blue cheese)

im a first bite with blue cheese guy and then the rest of the wing is straight up

I grew up in Buffalo but have lived a lot of places since then including prominently the three big S's: St. Louis, San Francisco and Seattle. My strong impression is that Buffalo is NOT a good place for foodies.

"Peas and Carrots" strikes me as a good comparison because I envision Buffalo food, I imagine something very unadventurous.

What am I missing?

Buffalo has a strong influence of different cultures specifically Italian and Polish. It also has that old school mentality so it's foods remain fairly traditional. There isn't a ton of fusion and innovation. It's just classically prepared.

I have spent a decade in New Orleans, which is arguably the food capital of the world (certainly on a per capita basis) and there are certain things that I still miss. You can't find a hot dog to compare to Ted's, wings to compare to about 100 places, chicken fingers at Jim's, etc... Buffalo has GREAT late night food. The really good restaurants (Sinatra's comes to mind) would be really good restaurants in any city in the country. Your entrees wouldn't be $45 each though; they'd be like $27. I think that the food in Buffalo is one of the biggest surprises to people that move to WNY. I think that people think rust belt and assume the worst. Some of those places (specifically Cleveland) are booming culinary cities. Chefs like Michael Symon, Jonathan Sawyer and Zach Burrell have remade that whole place along with LeBron.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

@viccarucci

My 3 #Bills thoughts: Proceed w caution when pursuing older WRs. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/wURM84Gp8U

Vic and the rest of the Buffalo News schlubs are pushing the "rebuild" storyline big time, even though an effort to sign a guy like Maclin makes it clear the Bills intend to compete in 2017. I'll continue to say it -- despite some depth issues, this roster is pretty decent and with better coaching they'll be in the mix.

So true on everything you said.

Santaserios on Niagara was one of those italian restaurants I went to as a kid through age 30. Old style italian place, red checkered table cloths, drink wine out of juice glasses, big pots of sauce, pasta fagiola with peppers, lentils, huge meatballs.....can't find places like that anymore.

Going to have a can of tuna ,apple, protein shake for lunch.yummy.

yea we get it, you lift bro, so you eat a lot bro, good for you : )

I do cardio and eat like a rabit during the week because I drink beer and eat like sh!t on weekends

My source at work who is friends with a Bills front office person claims that Maclin has signed with the Bills, but it has not been officially announced as of yet until the paperwork goes through and is approved, FYI FWIW

Edited by matter2003