The Yankees struggling ticket sales/corporate suites sales

FYI they are required to report this info as required by their financing agreement with NYC for their new stadium.

Interesting reading, especially regarding how insanely expensive it is to attend their games (check the reader comments on the NYT article):

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/sports/baseball/new-york-yankees-tickets-financial.html

http://nypost.com/2017/05/26/yankees-taking-big-hit-in-ticket-revenue-despite-hot-start/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-not-worried-decline-ticket-sales-article-1.3196793

went to a game against the orioles a couple weeks ago....$40/ticket on primary markets, ditched my ticketed seats and opted to stand in the right field SRO area. Went to the bar across the street pre-game had a few $5 PBR's, went in to the stadium and spent less than $50 for another couple beers and some chicken tenders.....and that was for my 2 older boys and me....if you are paying those high prices, you are, as DCTom put's it, an idiot.

They wanted to price blue collar Joe's out of their new ballpark and so they have. Fug 'em.

Do they still charge $2,000 per ticket for those great field seats you see behind the on deck circle that are empty every night?

Greed and season length are killing professional sports. Who goes to a game by themselves?? Everything gets multiplied. The Stanley Cup series in June is a joke, as is the NBA in May-June, and World Series in November. If Reggie Jackson was still playing he'd be Mr Thanksgiving, not Mr October!

I miss my $6 bleacher seats. I hate the new stadium! Sure it is shiny, but it has no soul. They priced out the best fans, all in the name of greed. Last game I went to I bought a round of 4 Irish - and it came to $84!

NBA should be done in April. Baseball should start playoffs in September, Labor Day. Hockey should be done April 1st

please do not make Nfl 18 games.

Baseball needs to start the playoffs in August. I like baseball, but even I completely forget about it when football starts.

As far as Yankee ticket sales go, I have a theory. The Yankees lost Jeter. That explains any problems they may have at the gate. He was baseball's last real star. Jeter's presence allowed Yankee fans to feel like they were part of a bygone era of baseball. It brought them back to a time when baseball mattered. An era when baseball players were larger than life. Yankee games are no longer a special place to be.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Baseball's boring.

But for those with insomnia........

I actually enjoy going to a game, though I'm not really into the sport. When my youngest was recruited for All Stars after the regular season, he asked "do I have to? Half the guys are standing around, and the other half are sitting". I thought that was wise from an 11 year old.

I miss my $6 bleacher seats. I hate the new stadium! Sure it is shiny, but it has no soul. They priced out the best fans, all in the name of greed. Last game I went to I bought a round of 4 Irish - and it came to $84!

This is the best post here. Baseball is a game of tradition. There were pretty much three stadiums that were shrines - Fenway, Wrigley and old Yankee Stadium. The first two are attractions unto themselves. The third one is now gone. Replaced with exactly what you said - a soulless replica...........The place is a morgue. And, ticket prices have a lot to do with it. But, even if they dropped prices dramatically, I don't know if you can replace what's gone now.

For many Yankees games the fans in the seats behind home look like the children of Wall Street masters of the Universe. Who else could afford or have the time to go?

I don't see how this doesn't totally hurt their brand. The best seats empty all the time. The ones on TV. Really makes you think it's small time instead of big time.

The only thing hurting the mystique of the Yankees is missing the playoffs. Again, who has 4 hours to give each day to baseball? Lee Elia gave an apt decription one fateful postgame presser...

This is the best post here. Baseball is a game of tradition. There were pretty much three stadiums that were shrines - Fenway, Wrigley and old Yankee Stadium. The first two are attractions unto themselves. The third one is now gone. Replaced with exactly what you said - a soulless replica...........The place is a morgue. And, ticket prices have a lot to do with it. But, even if they dropped prices dramatically, I don't know if you can replace what's gone now.

Ticket prices are one element, but there is no longer anything special about attending a Yankees game. This is a big part of the trouble at the gate. People will pay a steep price to be part of something special. Court side seats at the Lakers were always the biggest status symbol in sports. Seats behind home plate at Yankee Stadium weren't far behind. The Yankees and the sport of baseball no longer occupy such a prime spot in American culture. People will pay the price if they believe it's worth it. Have blue collar fans been priced out of the best seats at the new Yankee Stadium? Absolutely. This isn't different from other teams and concert events.

Ticket prices are one element, but there is no longer anything special about attending a Yankees game. This is a big part of the trouble at the gate. People will pay a steep price to be part of something special. Court side seats at the Lakers were always the biggest status symbol in sports. Seats behind home plate at Yankee Stadium weren't far behind. The Yankees and the sport of baseball no longer occupy such a prime spot in American culture. People will pay the price if they believe it's worth it. Have blue collar fans been priced out of the best seats at the new Yankee Stadium? Absolutely. This isn't different from other teams and concert events.

You're right about people will pay a steep price for something special. I went to Game 6 of the '09 Series when they clinched, and at that point, it was the highest priced event ever on Stubhub.

But, if you turn on a Cubs or Red Sox game, you won't see an empty seat behind the plate. Probably a bunch of other teams, too.

And, I'd say the difference between this and like you said other teams and concert events - is that this is 81 games you have to fill. You need all types of fans to be able to do that.