Shady McCoy: "Buffalo is Like Home to Me"

Of course it's not, because he is gone.

If he was still here there would be many excuses made for him and the bad cap situation.

In McCoy's case they bought a 300 carry RB and got a 200 carry RB. Even with a drastically reduced workload from his Philly days they probably pushed him a bit too much last season as he still had nagging hammy issues and finished the second consecutive season with a trip to the locker room on a cart.

But the contract no doubt was a key factor in not re-signing a guy who McCoy probably should have been splitting a lot more carries with this year.........and handed him to our rival.

The Clay contract has likely had a similar impact on their pursuit of a veteran TE to use in the two TE packages they are so excited about.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder if we're going to get a playoff spot before his prime years are gone.

No big deal if that's the case; this is not a RB league; this is a passing league and has been that way for many years.

Translation: this place isn't a complete dump like I thought, sometimes I even stay here on the weekends. It's "like home" as long as you are paying me millions of dollars to be here otherwise peace out

commonsense, badol and kdiggz or scottlaw will try.

;) Edited by kdiggz

Yes, I've beaten that dead horse enough..... But I'll say it again. Them letting MG go made no sense at all.

You got us pegged dude.

Yeah to compound losing MG they really should have been planning to get McCoy's carries down around 180 or so this year.........which means 175 carries for Jon Williams and someone else out of a bad looking lot.

The power of Tyrod and Roman's concepts have taken this running game up to where it's at........but it's hard to realistically keep expecting cheap backups to outperform or even match the performance of McCoy the way that MG and Karlos before him did.

It wasn't all Tyrod for all the backs.......McCoy is not a dime-a-dozen RB it shouldn't be that easy to get more production than him.......they are due to get bitten in the ass by Jon Williams and co..

...must admit the hysteria is a bit amusing......MG was well traveled and happened to be productive in his Buffalo stop....not as if OBD let AP walk after his rookie contract and if BB wants to give the kid a 2 year, $6.4 mil deal when he could have had Blount cheaper, so be it.....what's the fuss?..........

Miami Dolphins

The Miami Dolphins drafted Gillislee in the fifth round, 164th pick overall, of the 2013 NFL Draft. He signed a four-year, $2.322 million contract with the Dolphins on May 19, 2013.[3]

On September 5, 2015, he was released by the Dolphins.

Arizona Cardinals

On September 22, 2015, Gillislee was signed to the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad.[4] He was released from the Cardinals' practice squad on October 22.

Buffalo Bills

On November 4, 2015, the Buffalo Bills signed Gillislee to the practice squad.[5] On December 5, 2015, Gillislee was promoted to the 53 man roster.[6] During his first game as a member of the Bills in Week 13's matchup against the Houston Texans, Gillislee broke away for a 30-yard gain, his personal longest rush as a NFL player at the time.[7] On December 13, 2015, Gillislee scored his first career touchdown in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles.[8] The following week, he scored his second career touchdown against the Washington Redskins.[8] Gillislee became the first Bills running back since 1997 to produce touchdown runs of at least 50 yards in back-to-back weeks, a 60-yarder in Week 15 and a 50-yarder in Week 16.2016 season

On January 4, 2016, the Bills signed Gillislee to a contract extension.[9] After Karlos Williams was released by the Bills after showing up out of shape, he stepped in and took the role of Bills' backup running back. Gillislee rushed for 577 yards on 101 carries. He posted 9 receptions and 50 yards receiving. Gillislee's 5.7 yards per carry led all NFL running backs during the 2016 season.[10]

When Gillislee was set to be a restricted free agent, the Bills placed an original round (fifth round) tender on Gillislee.[11] On April 18, 2017, the New England Patriots extended a two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet to Gillislee, giving the Bills five days to match.[12]

New England Patriots 2017 season

On April 24, 2017, the Bills declined to match the Patriots' two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet, making Gillislee a Patriot.[13]

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Yeah to compound losing MG they really should have been planning to get McCoy's carries down around 180 or so this year.........which means 175 carries for Jon Williams and someone else out of a bad looking lot.

The power of Tyrod and Roman's concepts have taken this running game up to where it's at........but it's hard to realistically keep expecting cheap backups to outperform or even match the performance of McCoy the way that MG and Karlos before him did.

It wasn't all Tyrod for all the backs.......McCoy is not a dime-a-dozen RB it shouldn't be that easy to get more production than him.......they are due to get bitten in the ass by Jon Williams and co..

Bado.....they did live past losing Karlos WIlliams.......

But this is where we differ on opinions on this...I think Jon Williams is better then then what he has shown so far.

Bado.....they did live past losing Karlos WIlliams.......

But this is where we differ on opinions on this...I think Jon Williams is better then then what he has shown so far.

I liked Jon Williams at Arkansas but between injuries, bad off-field decisions and awful play last year I have no confidence in him whatsoever.

Depth at RB is a lot different than depth at nearly any other position......it's a platoon position............these guys gotta' play A LOT.

I'm a "good backs" are a dime-a-dozen guy.........but I just don't mess with the personnel on the best offense the team has had in 25 years.......not to save the peanuts they did not retaining MG....... MG or otherwise, the Bills simply didn't even apply the dime to the tailback position this offseason.......they are really rolling the dice.

And I've wanted them to get Tolbert for years but that was then......if he ends up getting carries at this point.......yikes!

Just have to cross your fingers and hope JW steps up.

He has talent. Showed tremendous feet at Arkansas but he looked awful in all regards last year.......including fumbling. Bills fans have gotten spoiled by the efficiency of MG.

Yeah too bad he didn't realize how at home he'd feel in Buffalo before his agent coerced Whaley and Co to extend his contract beyond it's original end date, which was AFTER THIS SEASON. :doh:

Double dipping on the same contract term might have *something* to do with that Buffalove though. :lol:

Especially since #BADOL got him a connection to a radio gig. :nana:

Well you know, Shady's YPC was on an inexorable decline...

Actually it had leveled off at 4.3-4.4.......3 times in a 4 year stretch, in fact..........which was not fitting of his ability to make defenders miss.........but he wasn't following his blocks in Philly(why he was traded, NOT racism) or Buffalo and age caught up to his lack of training.......leading to a rash of soft tissue injuries.

To his credit........after his relatively abysmal 2015 he openly admitted that he had to make changes.

The guy they got was on the way to the swift and bitter end I predicted......he's MUCH better now.....but time and mileage are working against him.

I've been a fan of Shady's maturation........but the horse is out of the barn on the contract.

It cost the Bills his even more productive running mate in Gillislee.........and the reality is that his most effective use at the tail end of his career is probably going to be a reduced workload......about 50% of his carries in Philly........and his cap figure in Buffalo is not going to allow that.

If he does manage to extend his career past 30 then it's likely going to be on the cheap for some other beneficiary..........and the Bills will likely be back at the trough for a running back in round 1 next year.