NFL Roster Cuts Will Now Be from 90 to 53

So I guess this means no one will have control of the 75.

Seems like an odd change and one that would not benefit a young guy coming from the back of the pack trying to make the roster.

But it probably helps the teams who lack depth so good for the Bills.

The fourth preseason games across the league will have almost all players who will likely be gone after the cut to 53.

It was that way anyway. Starters never played in game 4. The coaches will love this. 1 extra week to evaluate players. Maybe give that bubble guy an extra look.

I wish they would ease rules regarding OTAs especially for players with less than 3 years experience. With Vets it is 1 thing but for young players who need the additional reps it just slows their development. It should remain non contact but teams should be afforded extra time with these players,

This isn't an NFL rule, those are collectively bargained between the NFL and NFLPA. Take it up with the NFLPA, but there is no way they are going to allow it.

Edited by matter2003

This seems to me to be an alternative to scrapping the 4th pre-season game. The teams want it gone, the league doesn't. So then team say "well at least let us keep the bottom of our roster so we don't need to put anyone we think might make our team out there." Who can forget the Bills running wishbone with Gronk in the 4th pre-season game last year to make sure they got out of the game with no injuries?

I'm not sure scrapping the 4th pre-season game would completely solve the problem either to be honest though.... if you do that the 3rd pre-season game becomes the game before the season where nobody wants to lose a guy and the 2nd pre-season game becomes the proper "tune up".

So I guess this means no one will have control of the 75.

Seems like an odd change and one that would not benefit a young guy coming from the back of the pack trying to make the roster.

But it probably helps the teams who lack depth so good for the Bills.

Wouldn't it help a back of the pack guy? For example a guy that might be on the fence to get cut at the 75 but performs well enough in the last few games and practice to be kept.

Just a theory but it is a strange change either way.

I think that could be beneficial to teams that are looking at other teams cuts to make THEIR rosters.....

We are obviously still looking for a few spots

This is an UNDERSTATEMENT......we need more than a few.

I think that could be beneficial to teams that are looking at other teams cuts to make THEIR rosters.....

We are obviously still looking for a few spots

This is an UNDERSTATEMENT......we need more than a few.