Can somebody please explain

Can somebody explain to me why we haven't even entered into negotiations with Pat Williams? I could understand if the two sides worked to get something done and failed, but that hasn't happened? The Bills have made no move to even try and re-sign him. I understand with Jonas Jennings, since everybody knows his price was too high. But Pat really wanted to come back and sounds like he was willing to give the hometown discount.

It just makes no sense to me why the Bills don't want him back, because that's the real issue here.

Can somebody explain to me why we haven't even entered into negotiations with Pat Williams? I could understand if the two sides worked to get something done and failed, but that hasn't happened? The Bills have made no move to even try and re-sign him. I understand with Jonas Jennings, since everybody knows his price was too high. But Pat really wanted to come back and sounds like he was willing to give the hometown discount.

It just makes no sense to me why the Bills don't want him back, because that's the real issue here.

258992[/snapback]

TD is trying to work a trade with Oak by sending Henry to Oak for Warren Sapp before the Raiders cut him.

The bills made an offer early in the season. PW and his agent has rejected

it, but have not provided a counter offer. The ball is on PWs court not on

the bills.

The bills are going to let the market dictate PWs salary. If some team does

choose to pay beyond what the bills want to give, then so bit. I think it is

time to move on and get our younger players to play. What is the point in

keeping the younger ones on the bench and then go and pay 5M+ for

a aging player. I don't think the fall-off from PW to Anderson or Edwards

is going to be too bad, especially when coach Krumrie can whip them into

playing shape and condition.

My read is that the Bills simply have a dollar figure that they believe Pat Williams is worth to them, considering his production, his age, his back-ups and the Bills cap. The Bills are banking on the fact that no team is going to offer Pat $5 million a year, but more like 4 million a year. When his agent comes back to the Bills with another team's offer, which they most certainly will, the Bills can then make their highball offer, slightly less than whatever the other team is offering, and hoping Pat decides to play for the Bills because that is where his heart is.

If the Bills went to Pat now, with their highball offer, they would not only shoot their load but also there would be no incentive for Pat to take it before seeing if other teams will pay him millions more. This is the right way to go about it when you have a player that you know wants to stay and has publicly said he is willing to play here for less.

My read is that the Bills simply have a dollar figure that they believe Pat Williams is worth to them, considering his production, his age, his back-ups and the Bills cap. The Bills are banking on the fact that no team is going to offer Pat $5 million a year, but more like 4 million a year. When his agent comes back to the Bills with another team's offer, which they most certainly will, the Bills can then make their highball offer, slightly less than whatever the other team is offering, and hoping Pat decides to play for the Bills because that is where his heart is.

If the Bills went to Pat now, with their highball offer, they would not only shoot their load but also there would be no incentive for Pat to take it before seeing if other teams will pay him millions more. This is the right way to go about it when you have a player that you know wants to stay and has publicly said he is willing to play here for less.

259112[/snapback]

I think that is an excellent explanation. It only works however, if the team is willing to lose the player to someone else, which it appears the Bills are prepared to do if it comes down to that.

One thing about TD (and I like it), he will never rush or be forced into something before he is ready.

259112[/snapback]

That Kelly is one fair and balanced dog! He's smarter than most canines and other Bills fans.

My read is that the Bills simply have a dollar figure that they believe Pat Williams is worth to them, considering his production, his age, his back-ups and the Bills cap.

259112[/snapback]

I've been assuming they might also figure that he's run the course in the makeup of our division and his value to us is consequently lower. I like Pat and he remains a superior tackler at the LOS for a big body in the run game, but his ability to split the gap on passing downs has declined over the past few years. He'll be paid for the 2.5 sacks he got from the interior last year but I don't recall him showing the suprising foot burst he had earlier in his career. With the need to push the pocket early playing high on divisional priorities it's not out of the question that the team feels PWs playing time would be decreased in '05 in favor of an emerging REdwards, and if his time were to be reduced it's tough to pay him starters money. An indication of this is that the team has shown a preference to giving Sam Adams the interior spot in pass D packages over the past two years.

I think TD has already had negotiations with both of them; abeit informal ones. Pat wants a lot more $$$$ than Tom is willing to give him. Don't believe media reports that both sides have not spoken to each other. Remember, Pat and Jonas were offered extension early last year but both decided to test the market.