Tesla Roof on Sale Today

JoeF

I've heard of these and that likely in 5 years the prices on the tiles will likely drop a lot. Of course by then the government federal tax credits (which I never trust, had the IRS retroactively change rules once costing me plenty) will be gone and probably replace with yearly tax on tiles since they generate potential "income" (Electricity you use which you could sell).

the funniest part is how extensive this product is and whilst it is green it takes a toll on resources, labor, etc and balances out to be not green.

i really hope they can keep developing this stuff to actually make it a green tech.

the funniest part is how extensive this product is and whilst it is green it takes a toll on resources, labor, etc and balances out to be not green.

i really hope they can keep developing this stuff to actually make it a green tech.

Ditto..still think it's cool that Buffalo is the epicenter of this development.

Ditto..still think it's cool that Buffalo is the epicenter of this development.

yeah I heard from a friend overseas that Buffalo is picking up reputation on this.

His question was: With all of the snow there how do they test?

I had to explain to him that snow appears in bunches so plenty of days with sunshine.

Any chance they can throw these things or something similar on the roof of any future dome built for the Bills? Seems like a great marketing opportunity for them.

yeah I heard from a friend overseas that Buffalo is picking up reputation on this.

His question was: With all of the snow there how do they test?

I had to explain to him that snow appears in bunches so plenty of days with sunshine.

I had a professor who loved to track days considered "sunny days" in Buffalo vs. Orlando, FL. It was usually a toss up most years, although I never verified whether he was correctly tracking it and took his word for it.

I had a professor who loved to track days considered "sunny days" in Buffalo vs. Orlando, FL. It was usually a toss up most years, although I never verified whether he was correctly tracking it and took his word for it.

Worked with the figures when I went to and worked at UB. Most of Buffalo sunny days come in summer when days are longer compared to Northern Cuba. This results in more sun hours in summer and less in winter. Northern Cuba's heavy clouds occur in rainy and hurricane seasons and a lot of that rain occurs during day. For peak hours Buffalo will generate more electricity but mean hours for Northern Cuba are higher.

My son Inlaw is going to have his roof done with it. 2 years from now. Wants to make sure the bugs are worked out

I paid the deposit and plan on taking a "wait and see" approach. Can always get the refund.

I paid the deposit and plan on taking a "wait and see" approach. Can always get the refund.

i believe he will put the deposit down. He did that with the car. Fall or winter delivery.

Any chance they can throw these things or something similar on the roof of any future dome built for the Bills? Seems like a great marketing opportunity for them.

A fracking magnate going solar. That would make a great story.

Most of my friends that would consider this (i.e. early adopters) are taking the wait and see approach. I do think it's interesting that even the stout detractors that I know remain very curious.

Edited by QCity

A fracking magnate going solar. That would make a great story.

Most of my friends that would consider this (i.e. early adopters) are taking the wait and see approach. I do think it's interesting that even the stout detractors that I know remain very curious.

just like when the electric cars first came out

I have to believe that there will be a steep learning curve for the installers. We had a hail storm, end of Feb., and every house on our side of the street, and a few on the other side had their roofs replaced. From what I saw, this is not done by "skilled" workers. These new solar shingles are likely very fragile, and have to be installed properly to be effective. The crews that I observed would likely not be successful at that.

I have to believe that there will be a steep learning curve for the installers. We had a hail storm, end of Feb., and every house on our side of the street, and a few on the other side had their roofs replaced. From what I saw, this is not done by "skilled" workers. These new solar shingles are likely very fragile, and have to be installed properly to be effective. The crews that I observed would likely not be successful at that.

This is my biggest worry - who knows how to install them properly to get most out of energy generated?

My son Inlaw is going to have his roof done with it. 2 years from now. Wants to make sure the bugs are worked out

Seeing that I am the #1 at being #2 Roofing contractor in WNY, I conclude these new fangel solar shingles a waste of $$$

from the article...

... Tesla will begin with production of two of the four styles it unveiled in October: a smooth glass and a textured glass tile. Roofing a 2,000 square-foot home in New York state—with 40 percent coverage of active solar tiles and battery backup for night-time use—would cost about $50,000 after federal tax credits and generate $64,000 in energy over 30 years, according to Tesla’s website calculator. ...

yikes! 50k after state and federal credits?

i'll tell you what, i installed solar panels on my roof two years ago. it was a 20k system, of which after state and federal credits will end up costing me 6k. this system supplies all of the electrical power i use on a yearly basis. it generates way more than i use during 8 months of the year and that excess is banked by the electric company so that for the other 4 months when i don't generate enough to cover my needs, it draws down. any excess that is left at the end of the year, is credited to my account (being that i get my gas from them, it pays that down), and the cycle starts all over again.

i am two years into it and i have 4 more years to go to recoup my out of pocket costs. after that, it begins to put money in my pocket. the system is warrantied for 25 years, so i'm pretty set for some time.

:)

Edited by Foxx

Do you have to clean the panels if they get covered by particles from pollution or bird droppings or tree sap? Just curious? Especially in northern areas such as Buffalo if you have a major snow storm where your roof is covered by a few feet of snow would that make the system inoperative until the snow was cleared off?

The technology is so rapidly changing. Now they are coming up with a roof that is basically a panel. Wouldn't that make the panels that they are installing now obsolete?