Question about RFA?

VABills

Okay, I understand that if a francise tag is thrown on a guy it is 2 1st rounders if he signs and the original team doesn't match.

But what is the formula for a guy who is just tendered an offer. I know the original team can match, but if they don't what does the signing team give up. I think it is based on amount of the tender offer, but not sure of the vales?

Okay,  I understand that if a francise tag is thrown on a guy it is 2 1st rounders if he signs and the original team doesn't match.

But what is the formula for a guy who is just tendered an offer.  I know the original team can match, but if they don't what does the signing team give up.  I think it is based on amount of the tender offer, but not sure of the vales?

258662[/snapback]

From the NFL's site:

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

A good article on free agency here that mentions compensatory picks at the bottom. Doesn't sound like there's a formula, more like a guideline.

From the NFL's site:

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

A good article on free agency here that mentions compensatory picks at the bottom. Doesn't sound like there's a formula, more like a guideline.

258743[/snapback]

I looked into how compensation is determined last year, when Cincinnati was going to get something for losing Spikes (it was a #3 btw - which is the highest pick awarded to date).

IIRC it's what you say, a loose guideline. Very Byzantine-like...I suppose it could be something like, in the case of Cincy, the Steelers, Browns, and the Ravens saying "a #3 is much too high!," and other clubs that have an interest in the B'gals beating some of their own schedule rivals saying, "Gee, I dunno...a #3 looks pretty good to me". Just speculation on my part.

I looked into how compensation is determined last year, when Cincinnati was going to get something for losing Spikes (it was a #3 btw - which is the highest pick awarded to date).

IIRC it's what you say, a loose guideline.  Very Byzantine-like...I suppose it could be something like, in the case of Cincy, the Steelers, Browns, and the Ravens saying "a #3 is much too high!," and other clubs that have an interest in the B'gals beating some of their own schedule rivals saying,  "Gee, I dunno...a #3 looks pretty good to me". Just speculation on my part.

258789[/snapback]

Compensatory draft picks always come at the end of a round, but no higher than the end of round 3. Teams may receive a maximum of 4 compensatory picks in any given year.

Compensatory draft picks always come at the end of a round, but no higher than the end of round 3. Teams may receive a maximum of 4 compensatory picks in any given year.

258801[/snapback]

Yep. The B'gal's extra pick was #96. It seems to have worked well for them - they selected LB Landon Johnson of Purdue, who played MLB after starter Nate Webster and rookie back-up Calem Miller went on IR, getting 60 solo tackles and 27 assists.

I am not talking comp picks.  I thought if a team signs a tendered offered player a contract the team can match or let him go.  If they let him go they get a pick from the other team.

I assume you're talking about a RFA, i.e. a guy with less than 4 years in the NFL. The minumum tender (I think about $300K) gives compensation at the same round the player was drafted. For $1.3M or so, it's a 1st rounder, for $1.8M, it's a 1st and 3rd. Don't quote me on the numbers because I can't find that info myself, but they're pretty close.

I assume you're talking about a RFA, i.e. a guy with less than 4 years in the NFL.  The minumum tender (I think about $300K) gives compensation at the same round the player was drafted.  For $1.3M or so, it's a 1st rounder, for $1.8M, it's a 1st and 3rd.  Don't quote me on the numbers because I can't find that info myself, but they're pretty close.

258862[/snapback]

Yes that is what I am talking about. But I wanted to quote something. I was looking for the exact number and draft pick.

I am not talking comp picks.  I thought if a team signs a tendered offered player a contract the team can match or let him go.  If they let him go they get a pick from the other team.

258858[/snapback]

RFA's tendered a contract and signing with another team is also covered in the article I linked to. Give it a read, it's very comprehensive.

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_00619.shtml

258858[/snapback]

The answer is always, "depends."

It depends on the type of restriction on the "free agent." MBD is correct in the escalation of the qualifying offers to restricted FAs.

The quick rules -

FAs with less than 3 yrs service are Exclusive RFAs, can only sign with previous club if club submitted minimum 1-yr salary tender

FAs with 3 yrs - 4 yrs service are RFAs, can sign with any club if new club matches the minimum tender offered by the old club. The amount of draft choice compensation for RFAs depends on the level of the tendered contract.

FAs with 5+ experience fall into Transition, Franchise or UFA designations.