5 QBs, only 3 will be retained.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why cut the developmental guy when he is already as good as the scrub vet? That's the point. Yates is a 0% chance to be a franchise guy. Even if Cardale is < 5% it still makes more sense. You can always find a Yates on the street (in fact you will probably find Yates on the street).

Teams tend to like having career backups around who can get you to .500 over a four-game span. Yates has done that (his teams went 4-3 when he started), and I'd bet pretty heavily that this staff prefers his presence on the team to that of Jones. I suspect the latter will either be assigned to the practice squad or cut.

It wasn't because of him. They played an awful Bengals team. Yates didn't do anything but take the snaps. He completed 11 passes. You could have inserted any vet backup and had the same results. That's been my point. If you cut him you can sign him back whenever or some guy that is like him (Shaun Hill for example). They are interchangeable.

I've been one that wanted a vet backup so it may sound like a change of heart. I look at their roster though and since they have 2 developmental guys I guess I want to see them try to develop them. I don't think that either Cardale or Peterman will be the future of the position in Buffalo. I know TJ Yates won't be. If Tyrod gets hurt I'd just assume run with the young guys. If they are in contention when he gets hurt and the young guys aren't ready get Cutler or Fitz or whoever. There are lots of vets available now that are better than Yates. I don't disagree with the second part at all. He was always a lottery ticket. He won't be out of the league though until someone is sure that they can't harness his immense physical talents. He has played 1 quarter in the NFL. Even Jamarcus Russell played in over 30 games.

Again, NFL coaches like vets who are mature, smart, stable, and able to get you to .500 over a four-game span. Yates is entering his seventh season and knows the Kubiak/Dennison system.

I honestly think he's a LOCK to make the roster.

Edited by dave mcbride

Teams tend to like having career backups around who can get you to .500 over a four-game span. Yates has done that (his teams went 4-3 when he started), and I'd bet pretty heavily that this staff prefers his presence on the team to that of Jones. I suspect the latter will either be assigned to the practice squad or cut.

I get all of that. I guess my point is, if Tyrod is out 4 weeks you either play one of the young guys or "a Yates." If Peterman or Cardale is ready for those 4 games you roll with them. If not, you can grab Yates or Hill or Whitehurst or RG3 or Gabbert or Ponder. There are a bunch of guys on the street that can be the 2-2 vet. I don't see any value in protecting one when you can get one at any point. In fact, I would bet that if we cut Yates he would be one of those vets on the street that you could add. I can certainly see them only keeping 2. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I get all of that. I guess my point is, if Tyrod is out 4 weeks you either play one of the young guys or "a Yates." If Peterman or Cardale is ready for those 4 games you roll with them. If not, you can grab Yates or Hill or Whitehurst or RG3 or Gabbert or Ponder. There are a bunch of guys on the street that can be the 2-2 vet. I don't see any value in protecting one when you can get one at any point. I can certainly see them only keeping 2.

As I say above in my addition to my earlier post, Yates knows the system and will be able to run the offense competently. That's what they are looking for from a number 2. To reiterate, I think he's a lock to make the roster.

As I say above in my addition to my earlier post, Yates knows the system and will be able to run the offense competently. That's what they are looking for from a number 2. To reiterate, I think he's a lock to make the roster.

Do you think if he's cut he ends up on another roster? I don't, but guess time will tell. Other vets will shake loose as well. If it is an extended period of time, Cutler is potentially an option. I will be surprised if Yates is on the 53 man roster.

all we heard last year was Cardale was "not ready"

not ready to me means he didn't learn enough of the playbook.

now he has to start over and learn a new one ??

TJ Yates has a huge head start.

I think Cardale is in big trouble. He's not one of McD's guys.

I would bet that Yates and Woodrum are the odd men out. Yates was sort of an insurance policy IMO. Now that they added another QB he will be gone. Cardale and Peterman will compete for the number 2 role and this may be the last year for one of them. The Bills are going to see what they have first. It is like we always talk about, "keep bringing in guys until you have a franchise QB." I've read that 1,000+ times on here. They have 2 guys that they are trying to find out about and we may have another next year.

I think this is the most likely scenario but I also think Cardale is going to have to earn it over Yates. Cardale was Whaley's pick and I don't think they're going to keep him around for another year strictly based on potential.

Do you think if he's cut he ends up on another roster? I don't, but guess time will tell. Other vets will shake loose as well. If it is an extended period of time, Cutler is potentially an option. I will be surprised if Yates is on the 53 man roster.

I don't think Yates is going to be cut! So many teams keep old vets around who know the system. Coaches hate not being able to run their full offenses, and neither Jones nor Peterman will be able to run Dennison's offense this year. There is a reason they brought him on. It's why guys like Chase Daniel, Derek Anderson, and Matt Cassel hang around forever. Cassel actually started a game for TN this season, and the Titans beat Houston, 24-17 despite Cassel's own modest numbers (16-26 for 150 yards passing). He can run an offense, and that's why has lasted 12 seasons.

Bank on it -- Yates will be on the team. If I had a farm, I'd bet on it!

Edited by dave mcbride

2017 in no specific order

TT

Yates

Peterman

Cardale on PS

Draft pick

Peterman

Cardale if improved enough

If Taylor has a good season this year, he will remain on the team. Assuming Watkins is healthy, the Bills receiving corps is probably better than last season's even despite the losses. Jones is a potential upgrade over Woods, and a healthy Sammy in a contract year is a huge upgrade over an unhealthy Sammy.

Edited by dave mcbride

If Taylor has a good season this year, he will remain on the team. Assuming Watkins is healthy, the Bills receiving corps is probably better than last season's even despite the losses. Jones is a potential upgrade over Woods, and a healthy Sammy in a contract year is a huge upgrade over an unhealthy Sammy.

BIG IF.

I don't see McDermott as a guy who would be happy with two very unproven guys behind Taylor. If Taylor gets hurt, especially early in the year they would be in the same situation Marrone was in with starting Tuel, I don't see him as a guy who wants to look "unprepared". My guess is Peterman makes the team unless he is really awful and unless Jones makes remarkable progress Yates is the number 2.

Jones goes to the practice squad if he passes through waivers,

With the addition QB Nathan Peterman the Bills now have 5 QBs. Two will be released sooner or later. I can't imagine that the Bills will cut Peterman after they just drafted him so I fully expect Cardale Jones and Josh Woodrum to be the odd men out. If that's the case then I would like to see the Bills get SOMETHING for Cardale instead of just cutting him loose for nothing. I saw that the Redskins are going to try and trade RB Matt Jones and if they can't then they might just release him. I think that this trade could benefit both clubs.

It's not a rule that three is the maximum. Two or three is the most common, but they could easily carry four.

And then they could put Woodrum on the practice squad if they wanted. But IMHO they'll let Woodrum go and judge Cardale's progress and if he's improving enough keep four.

Edited by Thurman#1