GM Doug Whaley has been fired

Whaley deserved to be fired. He was judged on his record. He put the Bills in a salary cap jam and failed to deliver the goods. He hired the disastrous Rex Ryan, he was front and center in drafting EJ Manuel, he traded two first round picks for Sammy Watkins, he signed Charles Clay to a ridiculous contract, etc.

There are so many examples to illustrate his failures. Why would anyone be sad he is gone. He produced absolutely ZILCH!

Hopefully, the next GM will build a winner. The Bills will be paying for Whaley's blunders for a couple years, but it was clearly time to move on.

I'm not sold on McDermott at all, but I'll give him a chance to prove something. I would think the Bills will be about 6-10 or 7-9 next year at this point.

Agreed that Whaley needed to be fired. He had been neutered to the point where he had little to no say in anything going on.

However, he was not to blame for the coaches hired. That is on the Pegulas and Brandon. From Marrone down to McDermott none where Whaley's choices and these arranged marriages were doomed to fail.

Since the Pegulas have granted so much power and faith to a first time HC. They should give final say to McDermott on who the next GM is. The HC needs to have someone tied to him who he is comfortable with. Pegulas should avoid the mixed message mess they were responsible for.

Edited by billieve420

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley should've been fired when:

1. He traded a king's ransom for Watkins, then said there wasn't much of a gap between Sammy & the other top WRs in the class. It was clear that the importance of draft picks was completely lost on him
  2. He traded our 2014 5th round pick to the Bucs for a 7th and the next year's 5th. Horrible value, and the pick would've been better spent on McCarron, Murray, etc.
  3. He went into the 2014 pre-season with Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel as our backups, having already seen what they were capable of the year before
  4. He traded for Bucs' WR Mike Williams, a guy with character issues & with whom Marrone had a bad history. This may have been the first of many moves aimed at undermining his HC
  5. He traded #2 QB Matt Cassel, possibly against his coaches' wishes, for some future late round picks, forcing EJ Manuel back up the depth chart
  6. He pushed for EJ Manuel to start in 2016 before the Bills were eliminated
  7. He said that if EJ didn't work out, Whaley himself would be looking for a job
  8. He gushed about what a perfect hire Rex was, while supposedly not meaning a word he said
  9. He traded multiple picks for a LB who fit Rex's scheme perfectly. You know, Rex: the guy Whaley supposedly didn't want
  10. He declared our first 3 picks of the 2016 draft to be off the bus starters. None of them were.
  11. He either lied about or was the only person who didn't know that Shaq Lawson would need surgery
  12. He forced his supporters to ignore the rest of the modern day NFL and hang on to the irrelevant claim that he was better than our last few GMs
  13. He re-signed Dareus to a huge deal without any clauses for personal conduct violations. This is low on the list, as I'm not exactly sure how common this is in the NFL. But if it is common practice to include such clauses, oh boy...

Most of the items listed above can be traced back to this: Whaley fell too hard for EJ, and he spent far too much trying to prove he was right.

Good riddance.

1. He traded a king's ransom for Watkins, then said there wasn't much of a gap between Sammy & the other top WRs in the class. It was clear that the importance of draft picks was completely lost on him
  2. He traded our 2014 5th round pick to the Bucs for a 7th and the next year's 5th. Horrible value, and the pick would've been better spent on McCarron, Murray, etc.
  3. He went into the 2014 pre-season with Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel as our backups, having already seen what they were capable of the year before
  4. He traded for Bucs' WR Mike Williams, a guy with character issues & with whom Marrone had a bad history. This may have been the first of many moves aimed at undermining his HC
  5. He traded #2 QB Matt Cassel, possibly against his coaches' wishes, for some future late round picks, forcing EJ Manuel back up the depth chart
  6. He pushed for EJ Manuel to start in 2016 before the Bills were eliminated
  7. He said that if EJ didn't work out, Whaley himself would be looking for a job
  8. He gushed about what a perfect hire Rex was, while supposedly not meaning a word he said
  9. He traded multiple picks for a LB who fit Rex's scheme perfectly. You know, Rex: the guy Whaley supposedly didn't want
  10. He declared our first 3 picks of the 2016 draft to be off the bus starters. None of them were.
  11. He either lied about or was the only person who didn't know that Shaq Lawson would need surgery
  12. He forced his supporters to ignore the rest of the modern day NFL and hang on to the irrelevant claim that he was better than our last few GMs
  13. He re-signed Dareus to a huge deal without any clauses for personal conduct violations. This is low on the list, as I'm not exactly sure how common this is in the NFL. But if it is common practice to include such clauses, oh boy...

Most of the items listed above can be traced back to this: Whaley fell too hard for EJ, and he spent far too much trying to prove he was right.

Good riddance.

...so now measure his overall performance post mortem against his peers and see where he lands in that pack?....GOOSE on the now defunct BBMB did an eloquent job at my request comparing Whaley to his selected GM's, Steelers' Colbert, Packs' Thompson and Fins' Ireland.....Whaley measured up statistically with his peers.....what are the results of YOUR extensive research besides yapping?......I'll be waiting....my expectations are the same BBMB yap you were known for....YAWN.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

If there are 3 (let's say Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph) then we are ALL SET.

We have the ammo to trade up to #2 if need be (2 1sts in 2018, 2nd in 2018, 1st in 2019, etc). It's happened a couple times recently.

Of course, IF Tyrod suddenly improves then that is a great problem to have because we get to use those picks on talent instead.

In that case, we just have to hope that there's a team picking in the top 3 that doesn't need a QB and is willing to make that trade.

...so now measure his overall performance post mortem against his peers and see where he lands in that pack?....GOOSE on the now defunct BBMB did an eloquent job at my request comparing Whaley to his selected GM's, Steelers' Colbert, Packs' Thompson and Fins' Ireland.....Whaley measured up statistically with his peers.....what are the results of YOUR extensive research besides yapping?......I'll be waiting....my expectations are the same BBMB yap you were known for....YAWN.........

I remember that thread. Didn't it use making the team as the benchmark for success? Or was it starting for the Bills? By either measure, Chris Kelsay was a resounding 10 year success!

Since we're taking this personal, let me know the first time you come up with any analysis of any sort, or for that matter, any original thought whatsoever. All you do is spout off of what others have written & recycle corny one-liners that you surely heard someone else say.

Now it's time to see if the people who believed Whaley was good at his job and would get picked up by another team to be GM actually comes true.

I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't it said that Whaley would be hired as another team's GM "in a second"? We're already running late.

I remember that thread. Didn't it use making the team as the benchmark for success? Or was it starting for the Bills? By either measure, Chris Kelsay was a resounding 10 year success!

Since we're taking this personal, let me know the first time you come up with any analysis of any sort, or for that matter, any original thought whatsoever. All you do is spout off of what others have written & recycle corny one-liners that you surely heard someone else say.

I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't it said that Whaley would be hired as another team's GM "in a second"? We're already running late.

Yup and it was probably the same people who believed Tyrod would have no reason to re-structure and would be heavily sought after.

not a lot of openings right now

That's okay. He'll still get paid by Terry for a few more years.

....beyond my pay grade....you admittedly know my stupidity.....not here to disappoint...I know my place....

• He traded a king's ransom for Watkins, then said there wasn't much of a gap between Sammy & the other top WRs in the class. It was clear that the importance of draft picks was completely lost on him
  • He traded our 2014 5th round pick to the Bucs for a 7th and the next year's 5th. Horrible value, and the pick would've been better spent on McCarron, Murray, etc.
  • He went into the 2014 pre-season with Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel as our backups, having already seen what they were capable of the year before
  • He traded for Bucs' WR Mike Williams, a guy with character issues & with whom Marrone had a bad history. This may have been the first of many moves aimed at undermining his HC
  • He traded #2 QB Matt Cassel, possibly against his coaches' wishes, for some future late round picks, forcing EJ Manuel back up the depth chart
  • He pushed for EJ Manuel to start in 2016 before the Bills were eliminated
  • He said that if EJ didn't work out, Whaley himself would be looking for a job
  • He gushed about what a perfect hire Rex was, while supposedly not meaning a word he said
  • He traded multiple picks for a LB who fit Rex's scheme perfectly. You know, Rex: the guy Whaley supposedly didn't want
  • He declared our first 3 picks of the 2016 draft to be off the bus starters. None of them were.
  • He either lied about or was the only person who didn't know that Shaq Lawson would need surgery
  • He forced his supporters to ignore the rest of the modern day NFL and hang on to the irrelevant claim that he was better than our last few GMs
  • He re-signed Dareus to a huge deal without any clauses for personal conduct violations. This is low on the list, as I'm not exactly sure how common this is in the NFL. But if it is common practice to include such clauses, oh boy...

Good riddance.

Pretty definitive take.

good. now they can get a decent pro personnel guy and scouting staff and be done with it. and NO F-ing "General Manager" title BS please bc the dumb bunnies on this board will think McD reports to someone with a "GM" title, creating unnecessary confusion ....

I look forward to Buffalo 86's diatribe next year about how McDermott should be fired for trading up for Jones and Dawkins when he could have had (insert name here) Oh and wait for the screed after Peterman misses a pass.