GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She seemed really unhappy with him after that disastrous presser that occurred after Rex was canned.

Doug stood up there and took a lot of bullets for the Pegulas idiocy that day.

And Terry told him on more than one occasion how much he appreciated that.

But I guess that's what glad-handing backstabbers do.

You do it now. Its the start of the scouting season. Getting rid of a GM in January is like getting rid of a coach in November, its mid season

But there is more than just Whaley leading the scouting process. Just like there is more than just a Head Coach leading a team.

You fire Whaley in January, let Monos take over and almost interview for the job then. Just like you do with an interim coach. Hire Monos or the new GM after the draft.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Well first off,I was wrong.I thought there was no way Whaley gets fired. Secondly I feel like Whaley got a raw deal in Buffalo. It's hard to build a winner,when you go through 3 coached in 4 years. And switch between 4-3's and 3-4's. However time to move on,and hope the next GM,brings us a winner.

Gil Brandt was just on sirius, loves McDermott, said Buffalo desperately needed a major culture change

We've had coaching staffs all talk to about instilling a new culture but this is the first time I feel it's actually happening.

Doug stood up there and took a lot of bullets for the Pegulas idiocy that day.

And Terry told him on more than one occasion how much he appreciated that.

But I guess that's what glad-handing backstabbers do.

Bingo!!! The Pegulas were responsible for hiring Rex and used Whaley to fall on the sword.

So, the brand new HC has more sway with ownership than the incumbent GM who T/K Pegs elected to retain upon buying the team 2.5 years ago.

Interesting. I always figured McD doesn't take this job without being granted a lot of authority over football beyond what recent HC's have had. And that authority he received overlapped the GM's, who is now history.

We've had coaching staffs all talk to about instilling a new culture but this is the first time I feel it's actually happening.

It feels really good. Like a complete fresh start. Its a breath of fresh air and icing on top of that draft cake. Edited by Bill_with_it

Bingo!!! The Pegulas were responsible for hiring Rex and used Whaley to fall on the sword.

I don't know if this perfectly describes what happened but it could be close. Whaley's misses look a lot worse when you have a coach getting rid of productive players or putting them in positions where they can't succeed. And that coach forced on you by the owner.

Pegulas get to blame Whaley for their mistakes.

Whaley was dead man walking for a long time anyway this had to happen. Rex had a lot of input in the draft last year and this year McDermott ran the show.

The whole empowering Whaley to make a coaching hire was a farce and I don't believe he had a say in any of the last 3 coaching hires. Relationship was doomed from the beginning. McDemott is now the Defacto GM/HC and whoever he brings aboard will probably answer to him. As long as there is clear hierarchy we have to see how it plays out.

Not quite sure if your take is that significantly different from mine. But given that neither of us have concrete proof of what went on inside the organization, we just have to go by the sequence of events and the ultimate decisions themselves. Suffice to say that I am not going to argue this point with you too hard.

not trying to argue. just converse on something that i have faith in knowing your history that you would likely provide a take i might not see on this - respect ya.

on another note. ..wgr is doing a ton of spin on this

I'll believe when I see it so as of now I Billieve the Pegulas are inept after his press conference today.