Scout's Inc. Chat

Rico

joe, buffalo, ny: do the bills have any chance of keeping jonas jennings or pat williams? what are some possible FA replacements for williams? thanks

Gary Horton: (11:37 AM ET ) The may have to decide to only take one of the two, b/c it will be tough to hang on to them both. While Jennings is younger, he has also been banged up. It could be a very tough decision, b/c both are key components on offense and defense for the Bills. They do probably have better options at replacing Jennings than they do Williams b/c guys like LJ Shelton and Brad Hopkins are out there and the DT market is not quite as good. But, all that said, this is a smart front offense and if there is any way they could feasibly keep both of them, they will.

bob (nyc): Gary, what cuts most surprised you? I was surprised with coakley in dallas and ruegamer in GB. Any shockers for you?

Gary Horton: (11:56 AM ET ) I was really surprised, ironically, with the Drew Bledsoe cut. I thought the Bills would try to squeeze one more year out of Bledsoe before inserting JP into the lineup and I think it's a real gamble to assume JP is ready to take over this franchise. I was also surprised that the Packers released Mike Wahle this morning b/c I thought they would do everything possible to keep that O-line together especially to encourage Brett Favre to come back for another season. The rest of the cuts aren't particularly surprising b/c you can predict them a lot of times, not based on production but based on cap ramifications. Sadly, we live in an NFL world now where your employment and future is based as much or more on how you fit into the salary cap just as much as how you perform.