Randy Gregory fails another drug test

"Recently, commissioner Roger Goodell spoke out about the addictive nature of marijuana and how harmful it is, saying he can’t see a situation where it isn’t penalized in the league. Ironically he never mentioned all of the other addictive substances the medical staffs of teams give players to allow them to suit up on Sundays."

The pot ... it's very addictive. What an ass.

I agree with this somewhat. The difference is that weed smokers are self "medicating".

The NFL should get out of the narcotic dispensing business completely. Players should have to get their pain meds from their own doctors or a legitimate pain treatment center, or they should just play without narcotics.

Then banning weed would make a bit more sense.

I don't know that I'd say Gregory is an ass. To me he is clearly someone with a dependency that he is unable to manage. Given what he is losing out on I'd say he is unable to behave otherwise. That should not inspire scorn but pity. It doesnt help matters that in the broader discussion there is controversy and little consensus on whether pot use should continue to be criminalized with societal standards and attitudes perhaps moving away from this position. What is beyond doubt however is that the synthetic opiods that NFL team doctors readily dispense are a far greater problem and societal scourge. A lot of unenlightened sanctimonious hypocricy from the League if you ask me. They should lighten up the punishment for this. Periodic suspensions may be appropriate but If this is the only problem a player presents he should not be deprived of the opportunity of pursuing his career.

Better to live one's life free of all stimulants/depressants, but those who are unable or unwilling to do so generally do not face such serious consequences and many of them are "privileged" with respect to the benefits that they are able to access as the fruit of their special talents.

I agree with this somewhat. The difference is that weed smokers are self "medicating".

The NFL should get out of the narcotic dispensing business completely. Players should have to get their pain meds from their own doctors or a legitimate pain treatment center, or they should just play without narcotics.

Then banning weed would make a bit more sense.

Prescription drug addiction is a huge issue in the U.S., and I'd be willing to bet a very big problem in the NFL.

The problem with players getting narcotics from their own doctors is that so many doctors will give them out like candy if they get paid. They're drug dealers just as much as the scumbags peddling heroin on the streets.

Focusing on marijuana - even testing for it - is a waste of time and money.

Edited by Gugny

Prescription drug addiction is a huge issue in the U.S., and I'd be willing to bet a very big problem in the NFL.

The problem with players getting narcotics from their own doctors is that so many doctors will give them out like candy if they get paid. They're drug dealers just as much as the scumbags peddling heroin on the streets.

It doesn't seem like Nfl doctors are substantially better

Of course it's addictive.

It normalizes the expectation of getting high with every use.And since it really seems so innoculous it makes it even more or a bad trap to start when you are 8 or so.

The most insidious gateway to addiction is milk. Every junkie in history begins with it. They get hooked on having it around the clock, they scream and cry until they get it and only then do they calm down for awhile. Once the "milk habit" is instilled, it is but a small step to more sinister substances: ice cream, cheese, dulce de leche.

The most insidious gateway to addiction is milk. Every junkie in history begins with it. They get hooked on having it around the clock, they scream and cry until they get it and only then do they calm down for awhile. Once the "milk habit" is instilled, it is but a small step to more sinister substances: ice cream, cheese, dulce de leche.

this. And then later they're all like "wahhhh I'm lactose- gluten- egg- Tree nut- intolerant" Edited by YoloinOhio

I think this is why the Steelers took a WR in the 2nd. Can't trust Martavis. He's conditionally reinstated, but he's let them down over and over. Bell is the same way... so they took Conner.

Imo Foster (and maybe Peppers, though no known issues in college) will have suspensions on the horizon.

Agreed on Foster, jmo

He is indirectly quoted to use pot to cope with a bipolar condition.

I guess his two pols are high and unhappy.

I thought the two polls were dumb and dumber.

this. And then later they're all like "wahhhh I'm lactose- gluten- egg- Tree nut- intolerant"

Yeah there was a kid in my wife's school which wanted them to stop serving peanuts as snack (each in prepackaged bag) because her child was 'tree nut-intolerant".

I was manager I would have told her only nuts think peanuts grow on trees.

I'm guessing most of these habitually offending guys issues run deeper than "hey i kinda like weed" though. Especially randy Gregory at this point.

this to the nth power.

seems that some of these amazing athletes have some Issues that need more than the NFL to help them get aligned with their health and possibly best interests.

Weed is bad. Here, take this synthetic heroin.

PM me

I agree 100%.

me too. I very much worry for professional athletes and the NFL engine that grinds them out

You have small children it seems?

we were just talking about this and my Grandsons routine for his nap.

i still hit the dulce de leche. but not when at work or driving

Maybe in the 1980's this was true. You haven't been paying attention to what is going on in medicine for a while now. No prescriptions are more closely scrutinized than narcotics. Most doctors don't want to prescribe them at all, and will seek to refer patients who want chronic narcotics to pain treatment centers.

There is no getting "paid" to prescribe narcs by the overwhelming majority of legit doctors. Every prescription is flagged and documented in (most) state databases.

It's not worth the hassle from the government or these types of patients. It's just not.

I knew a guy who was on the Bill Walton teams at UCLA that won three national championships in a row IIRC. A few of these guys only lost one game their entire college careers. The guy said he and Walton and every single member of their team, except one, smoked weed every day, including often before the games.

Edited by Kelly the Dog