Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

Bill, Buffalo's lack of ability to scout qbs is one of the underpinning reasons why this franchise has gone nearly a quarter of a century without a franchise qb. I have often said that teams that don't have a franchise qb have to be not only more aggressive but more discerning in pursuing prospects. As you stated Dak did have a DWI charge against him it was an aberration from the way in which he usually carried himself. With out a doubt he had the tools, the character, football intelligence and the work ethic. This stupid organization gratuitously gave up a pick for the Ragland deal in which we could have selected him. Demoralizing stupidity!

I know. :( I wish you could see a tape of that game. You would immediately recognize him as a mega-talent.

The Bills missed time and again on qbs. I know the drill but in this case so did the rest of the league. Men who forgot more than I will ever know about football passed on him for 3 full rounds. I just don't get it.

With the 2018 class coming to Earth a bit, a few names to consider during the next few months are

Nick Stevens from Colorado State

Ryan Finley from North Carolina State

and kind of a super sleeper who probably stays in school another year Justice Hansen from Arkansas State.

Logan Woodside from Toledo is a guy who has never seemed to enter the conversation of draftable Quarterbacks but seems like his stats have always been on the upside.

Again, not guys I've spent a lot of time watching but will invest some time into over the next few weeks. Not sure if anyone here has seen much of them?

I know. :( I wish you could see a tape of that game. You would immediately recognize him as a mega-talent.

The Bills missed time and again on qbs. I know the drill but in this case so did the rest of the league. Men who forgot more than I will ever know about football passed on him for 3 full rounds. I just don't get it.

Most often when you over focus on weaknesses without balancing out on the strengths you end up convincing yourself that the selection isn't worth the gamble. Because the position is such a high profile position there is a reluctance/fear of making a mistake because it gets more attention than other positions. Also, there is too much of a temptation to draft for a position where the selectee is more likely to give you immediate help instead of being patient enough to go through the usual developmental period that a qb takes.

The Bills have not had a franchise qb for a quarter century, since the retirement of Jim Kelly. There is no excuse for that!

Although he really hasn't played much in his short career he carries himself as a veteran in the sense as you described he is not affected by his bad plays. He has some mechanical issues to clean up but there are some traits associated with "intangibles" that can't be taught. You either have them or don't. He's got them. From a development standpoint he should stay in for another year.

I'll never fully be sold on him because of the whip in his arm. I understand my own bias and explain it. I probably would've hated Philip Rivers in college too :D

He's got to be careful with his frustration. He made comments last week about them being too predictable. If that was a guy with reputation like Rosen, the story would've been bigger. Just might stick with a few that he seemed to be openly critical of coaching.

Staying for 2018 would be smart. He's starting to get a rapport with Tyler Vaughns (looking really promising), might help keep Deontay Burnett around as well. Then you have Petite as a junior, Falo as a freshman. Carr looks pretty good at RB. It's a promising nucleus of talent around him to make a run at the Heisman, the National Title and being the #1 pick.

I'll never fully be sold on him because of the whip in his arm. I understand my own bias and explain it. I probably would've hated Philip Rivers in college too :D

He's got to be careful with his frustration. He made comments last week about them being too predictable. If that was a guy with reputation like Rosen, the story would've been bigger. Just might stick with a few that he seemed to be openly critical of coaching.

Staying for 2018 would be smart. He's starting to get a rapport with Tyler Vaughns (looking really promising), might help keep Deontay Burnett around as well. Then you have Petite as a junior, Falo as a freshman. Carr looks pretty good at RB. It's a promising nucleus of talent around him to make a run at the Heisman, the National Title and being the #1 pick.

With respect to the highlighted segment I'm not bothered by players who speak up. Although my bias is toward the "old school" do what the boss wants and keep your mouth shut it is a different world. When "why" is asked it is not good enough to say because I "say so". He asserting himself a little more is not necessarily a bad sign.

There is no doubt Rosen is more outspoken than most college players. A lot of it has to do with his well to do upbringing and that he is a smart guy who has a tendency to ask why is this better than that. When you deal with a player or person such as Rosen then you need to have good and not rote simplistic answers. Leadership comes in a lot of different forms. So I wouldn't shy away from it rather I would adjust to it.

As it stands I'm a Darnold fan but realize that there is still work to do. If Darnold comes out and he is on the board when our pick comes out and we pass then someone deserves a kick in the nuts. I'm all in on using our first pick on a qb. If not I will be very disappointed.

I accept your point totally John.

I wasn't grading when Wilson came out but I had a low 2nd on Dak and a 1st as you know on Watson by the same system. That said it remains very early and none of the grades I have at this stage are final. My final evaluations will be posted in February... and it worth saying my "live games" report on Prescott was "4th / 5th round - development QB, can't play from pocket, some leadership flashes, high end back up." He was someone who grew on me when I started to go through the tape.

I just think Allen is all "looks like a Franchise QB" rather than "plays like a Franchise QB".

Edited by GunnerBill

With respect to the highlighted segment I'm not bothered by players who speak up. Although my bias is toward the "old school" do what the boss wants and keep your mouth shut it is a different world. When "why" is asked it is not good enough to say because I "say so". He asserting himself a little more is not necessarily a bad sign.

I'm fine with him speaking up, doesn't bother me in the slightest. If anything, I like my QB to have a bit of an edge (hence my love for Mayfield).

The point I was getting at is that some scouts are old school, might prefer it kept behind closed doors. Be foolish to dock him for it but this is the league that had 'anonymous scouts' claiming that Marcus Mariota's lack of concerns off the field was in itself a concern :D

I'm fine with him speaking up, doesn't bother me in the slightest. If anything, I like my QB to have a bit of an edge (hence my love for Mayfield).

The point I was getting at is that some scouts are old school, might prefer it kept behind closed doors. Be foolish to dock him for it but this is the league that had 'anonymous scouts' claiming that Marcus Mariota's lack of concerns off the field was in itself a concern ]/b] :D

The problem with having too many "old school" scouts in your system is that their biased eyes end up having a limiting effect on the pool of players who may be good players in the pros. Being a conventional thinker in a system that prizes conventional thinking allows organizations that are more progressive and expansive in their views to have that competitive advantage. Being behind the curve may be comfortable for the old timers in the profession but being open-minded and willing to learn new concepts is what separates the laggards from the inhabitants at the front of the pack.

To give a specific example to my point the hiring of Rex represented the old school anachronistic approach to the modern analytic world of the NFL of today. It not only was a disastrous hiring that set this franchise back but it was outright weird.

Getting back to the issue of qbs what are your thoughts on Mayfield? I see a little of Brees in him. Not tall but can spread the ball around, is accurate and highly competitive. He may be a tad too rambunctious for McDermott but he would be an appealing prospect, especially if he could be acquired without giving up draft picks. What you say????

our best chance is they all come out and we can trade up and get one in the 10-15 range. the 3rd or 4th QB on this list would be as good as some drafts 1-2. I disagree with the order. I think it's Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph. I haven't watched Allen but what I know about his background is he may have the arm strength and size but he has never put it all together on the field so that is too much of a risk. i would not draft someone in the 1st round based on potential

our best chance is they all come out and we can trade up and get one in the 10-15 range. the 3rd or 4th QB on this list would be as good as some drafts 1-2. I disagree with the order. I think it's Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph. I haven't watched Allen but what I know about his background is he may have the arm strength and size but he has never put it all together on the field so that is too much of a risk. i would not draft someone in the 1st round based on potential

I would add Lamar Jackson and Mayfield to the list. I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold stays in school another year. The only issue I have with your post is that I would without any hesitation use a first round pick on a qb who had a lot of potential. Lamar Jackson is a qb that I have in mind.

I would add Lamar Jackson and Mayfield to the list. I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold stays in school another year. The only issue I have with your post is that I would without any hesitation use a first round pick on a qb who had a lot of potential. Lamar Jackson is a qb that I have in mind.

How is Lamar Jackson any better than what we already have with Tyrod? Same kind of player. We need a pocket QB Edited by kdiggz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.