What a great

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it's the property owners fault...

More lawsuits

258477[/snapback]

Some call it dangerous. Others call it Natural Selection.

It reminds me of a quote: "You can try to make something idiot-proof, but the world will always build a better idiot." You can install a fence, but they will still try to find a way around it. Regardless of what you impliment, they will find a way around it.

It reminds me of a quote: "You can try to make something idiot-proof, but the world will always build a better idiot." You can install a fence, but they will still try to find a way around it. Regardless of what you impliment, they will find a way around it.

258497[/snapback]

That's is sooo true.

258497[/snapback]

This reminds me of one of my fovrite legal quotes regarding setting up a jamming device to stop Betamax's from copying coipyrighted material. This is from a Judge Ferguson.

"As sure as you or I are sitting in this courtroom today, some bright young entrepreneur, unconnected with Sony, is going to come up with a device to unjam the jam. And then we have a device to jam the unjamming of the jam, and we all end up like jelly."

Obviously the father should be suing the makers of 'The Matrix', because that's probably where they got this stupid building jumping idea.

258677[/snapback]

Why stop there? What about the engineers who figured out how to make concrete superstructures strong enough to be so tall? :)

Idiots.

Why stop there?  What about the engineers who figured out how to make concrete superstructures strong enough to be so tall?  :)

Idiots.

258712[/snapback]

And he could sue Sir Isaac Newton's estate because if he never discovered gravity then his poor son wouldn't have fallen down and gone boom...

And he could sue Sir Isaac Newton's estate because if he never discovered gravity then his poor son wouldn't have fallen down and gone boom...

258721[/snapback]

Is that why Wile E. Coyote never falls right away? He doesn't understand the law of gravity.

I like your theory but it doesn't explain why he always falls eventually. Perplexing.

Hey wait. Let's sue Warner Bros.

258497[/snapback]

I agree.

Yet, you have to always try and impliment. Without that it becomes dangerous. Never give up, no matter how futile it seems.

Yet, you have to always try and impliment. 

258844[/snapback]

To what extent? You can bankrupt your company or make your products so unbelieveably expensive that you price yourself out of the market. At some point, people need to take responsibility for their actions.

To what extent? You can bankrupt your company or make your products so unbelieveably expensive that you price yourself out of the market. At some point, people need to take responsibility for their actions.

258873[/snapback]

That's enough common sense, Ken. We can't have people being responsible for themselves - as it would put Liberals out of business.

Jump a little farther next time Timmy and make sure your shoes are tied. And remember...get your whole head in front of the shotgun and thanks for playing.

The whole thrill seeking aspect doesn't really bother me. Humans have always engaged in such activities going all the way back to "poke the tiger with the stick."

However, I believe the father bringing up the lawsuit and the attorney who agreed to take it should turn in their planet Earth membership cards.

Too bad Moses broke the first set of Commandments, because I'm sure this one was on there:

Thou shall not blame others for thy own mental shortcomings.

Too bad Moses broke the first set of Commandments, because I'm sure this one was on there:

Thou shall not blame others for thy own mental shortcomings.

258920[/snapback]

One of my favorite scenes from "History of the World, Part I."

"I give you these 15 <CRASH>, er, 10, yes 10 Commandments!"

258873[/snapback]

I agree.

I don't think adding railings to the parking ramps in Orlando would have broke the bank.

Yes, people should be responsible. My point was you have to a least make an attempt to avoid areas where idiots will abuse them. Then, you can say that you made a reasonable attempt. Remember, the people that built the thing are the reasonable ones, not the idiots jumping. By doing this you give yourself more ammunition defending your project and bringing more burden to the idiots out there.

If it was left up to the "natural selection" way, you would have wrongful situations created that would be the opposite of what you cited. Basically, things would be cut to the point where they were actually faulty or structually unsound in order to squeeze every buck out of the project. You could look back in history to find that way of thinking.

Answer: Happy medium. A cost analysis verses design implementation. In this case, something will have to be added on. Again, I don't think it will break the bank.

But, then again, talking like the rest of this thread... Railing against the idiots and all the other populist talk is so much more fun! :ph34r:

If it was left up to the "natural selection" way, you would have wrongful situations created that would be the opposite of what you cited.  Basically, things would be cut to the point where they were actually faulty or structually unsound in order to squeeze every buck out of the project.  You could look back in history to find that way of thinking.

259132[/snapback]

I missed the part where the building wasn't built to code and passed inspection before the first member of the public was let through the door. Oh, that's because it was and it did. There is a check and balance already there - even if you want to conveniently ignore it. Of course, this "tragedy" ensures that the next round of building code legislation will be even more crippling and costly. Continuing the spiral by treating the symptom rather than the problem.

I don't know what history book you're looking at, but half measures don't encourage morons to do stupid things. That blame for that rests solely on sugared cereals. :ph34r:

I agree.

I don't think adding railings to the parking ramps in Orlando would have broke the bank.

259132[/snapback]

According to the article, a fence was put up. The idiots still got around it. It gets down to personal responsibility after that. Why should the parking garage put even more money into it?

That's enough common sense, Ken.  We can't have people being responsible for themselves - as it would put Liberals out of business.

258875[/snapback]

It is common sense. It is also crying poor-mouth.

Like when handrails are put up around the area I work at. Making them 42" verses 36" isn't going to break the bank. Of couse the old standard is grandfathered in until a major rehab.

You might not think of it but, the shorter railings, people are more apt to subconscienciously sit on them... Maybe get fall back and get injured.

It is all about making a REASONABLE attempt. Obviously, you can't think of everything somebody will do. We, evolve and learn from our design mistakes... Not go backwards...