Chiefs fans are laughing about the trade.

Andy Reid was basically fired in Philly for a run of questionable personnel decisions and poor drafting. I'm not buying into the idea that he "knows what a QB looks like."

He did not draft Bret Favre. Tom Modrak had more to do with the selection of McNabb than Reid. Has Reid developed QBs - absolutely. But these are the QBs that he has been directly involved in selecting in the draft:

Kevin Kolb

AJ Feeley

Andy Hall

Mike Kafka

Nick Foles

Aaron Murray

Kevin Hogan

I'm not worried that Reid sees something in Mahomes that we don't.

Also, the Chiefs have the 3rd hardest schedule in the NFL next year and have to play OAK twice, DEN twice, SD twice, NE, DAL, NYG, and PIT. Not to mention that the strength of their team was a number 1 defense that is typically an unsustainable trait from year to year.

And finally, they were many articles written last year midseason that the Chiefs were about to fall off a cliff. As we all know, they didn't. But that fall is coming.

I think this is a pretty calculated trade that we made here.

Yeah, not sure why anyone thinks Reid is this QB guru. He didn't develop Favre. You could make an argument for McNabb but how much did he work with him as a rookie HC?

How are you ignoring the success of the Reid era in KC? The Chiefs needs are something to help them get over the top, if the Pats stumble they will be right there to move past them.

Mahomes ain't it. At least for this season. And in 2018, things could be very different for them.

Pretty much this ^ If they though Mahomes or Watson were franchise they would have drafted them at 10. They did 100% what I wanted them to do if they thought those 2 were not the answer at QB.

I still would like them to swing on Chad Kelly very late this draft.

What if they don't like him either. You still want them to swing at him?

If he is anything less than their next Franchise QB they wasted a lot of resources.

Not really; they topped out with where they can go as a team with Smith as their QB. They took a shot on his potential to grow and be that guy, if he works out that will put them over the top. Losing a 3rd rounder this year and a later first next year will barely impact their team.

What if they don't like him either. You still want them to swing at him?

woof

Not really; they topped out with where they can go as a team with Smith as their QB. They took a shot on his potential to grow and be that guy, if he works out that will put them over the top. Losing a 3rd rounder this year and a later first next year will barely impact their team.

Ehhh, I wouldn't say that. Their defense is getting old at LB with Johnson and Hali.. Then take into account that Houston has been a bit injury prone. Poe is now gone as well. They could have used those picks to infuse some youth into that defense. I think it impacts their team.

They aren't winning the super bowl - and they probably won't get to the championship game either. So the pick from there is alreayd in the mid 20s in the worst case.

KC could see a big let down year. They over achieved a bit last year IMO, even though they got a deep roster on both sides of the ball. But the reason they could see a disappointing season somewhere around 6 to 8 wins is because that D took some hits, and they don't have a lot of playmakers on offense and lost some of the ones they did have. Their schedule isn't easy either and teams like the Raiders and Broncos they face twice a year in their own division. Sure they could still put up double digit wins, but its far from a sure thing. They still have a talented roster, but their strength was in balance. I don't think the offense is good enough to offset any drop off in the D, and they are going to miss Poe a lot.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Also...it gives me a team to really really root against

we already have these rivalries...

Pats have kicked the Bills butts up and down the field for 12 years and more now.

Fish are considered one although both team haven't been worth a tinkers dam at the same time since 1992. I think the rivalry goes back to the Fish winning all 20 games in the 1970s.

KC could see a big let down year. They over achieved a bit last year IMO, even though they got a deep roster on both sides of the ball. But the reason they could see a disappointing season somewhere around 6 to 8 wins is because that D took some hits, and they don't have a lot of playmakers on offense and lost some of the ones they did have. Their schedule isn't easy either and teams like the Raiders and Broncos they face twice a year in their own division. Sure they could still put up double digit wins, but its far from a sure thing. They still have a talented roster, but their strength was in balance. I don't think the offense is good enough to offset any drop off in the D, and they are going to miss Poe a lot.

They're built to win tight games - Good run game, and good defense. Went 6-0 in the division and lost a few tight ones.

Edited by dneveu

Tough road trip for the visitors in that stadium.

One of the best coaches of his generation.

Yeah - hes a solid coach. Reid does a good job with the offense, has some experienced coaches for the defense, and even has a very highly regarded ST coordinator. Its a good complete coaching staff.

He's never won the big game though, gotta be a bit of a knock against him.

Edited by dneveu

They're built to win tight games - Good run game, and good defense. Went 6-0 in the division and lost a few tight ones.

I agree...however, if that D declines even a little bit, those tight games turn into more than 1 score games and I don't know that offense has the firepower to make up for the deficiency. They very well can keep trucking along and win that division, but honestly I do think the D is going to slip a little this year and those close games get a lot harder to win when that happens. I mean we lost 6 of our 8 games with TT by less than 6 points...our D was also one of the worst in the league in points allowed. But who knows, maybe the D maintains or improves, I just think they are going to miss some players more than people think.

What's the conversion rate on draft points to Schrute bucks?

Jokes aside, I'll keep saying it was pretty close depending on how you value year to year variances in talent drop off, and of course discounting future year picks. Anyone saying anyone killed anyone in this is off-- but this will certainly be remembered long term by whatever magomes outcome is. No one outside this board will much care what our picks were in weighing the success of it.

Yeah - hes a solid coach. Reid does a good job with the offense, has some experienced coaches for the defense, and even has a very highly regarded ST coordinator. Its a good complete coaching staff.

He's never won the big game though, gotta be a bit of a knock against him.

he folds bad in 2 minute drills and 2 point conversion decisions

apart from that his teams go further than we think they should, and eventually lose to a better team in the playoffs

that's about the worst i can say about it.

I would take Kelly too. I won't dislike any QB pick from here until the end of the draft except if we take Kizer or Webb. I've come around to Peterman tonight if we decide to go that route.

Come around to Peterman but don't like the second leading passer in the nation who has the size and arm to be an NFL QB? To each his own, but if I had to pick one guy that would be successful it would be Webb over everyone but maybe Trubisky.