question for capitalists here

Did it have to be over tuna tin prices?

That has to be a commodity with one of the widest ranges of prices for basically the same product that you find routinely on shelves, let alone the options of fresh at the seafood counter in the same store. Rich and poor man show their true value by the quality of tuna they buy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it have to be over tuna tin prices?

That has to be a commodity with one of the widest ranges of prices for basically the same product that you find routinely on shelves, let alone the options of fresh at the seafood counter in the same store. Rich and poor man show their true value by the quality of tuna they buy.

I've always, and still believe, that Coors and Keystone are the same beer, but they are just charging the price people will pay for what they perceive to be better beer

I've always, and still believe, that Coors and Keystone are the same beer, but they are just charging the price people will pay for what they perceive to be better beer

A few years ago in Ontario a Conservative cabinet minister got ticked off at the media and when asked how the poor could survive he said they should look for dented tins of tuna in the grocery stores.

That went over just fine.

I like it, brand distinction for something as lowly as beer...

But it's the same brand name store with allegedly the same prices and online information.

I'm sure they will honor the online price if you ask the downtown store to do it, but for other items, the pricing reflects the MUCH higher cost of business across the locations. In fact it's common for national chains to exclude NYC locations from discounted promotions. You may think it's gouging, but it's a reflection of 1- high cost, 2 - high need for the customer to get it right now, instead of waiting.

In case you haven't learned yet, Time = Money

But it's the same brand name store with allegedly the same prices and online information.

Different location for chains don't even offer the same menu items in most cases.

And the costs of running a business in a given area will always be passed along to the customer.

That's the cost of living in an urban area. The alternative is having no businesses in the area, as they wouldn't be able to operate.

Different location for chains don't even offer the same menu items in most cases.

And the costs of running a business in a given area will always be passed along to the customer.

That's the cost of living in an urban area. The alternative is having no businesses in the area, as they wouldn't be able to operate.

You're right, but you aren't quite getting the point, which is probably okay the way things have changed over the last few years...

Edited by row_33

This is by far the smartest thing you've ever posted. Which is simultaneously profound and sad. :lol:

It's a truism in professional services in DC, too: the more you pay, the better the service. If you bill $200/hr, people will perceive your work to be $200/hr work, even if the $75/hr guy's work is obviously better.

This is by far the smartest thing you've ever posted. Which is simultaneously profound and sad. :lol:

Except using the term "better" in the context of Coors & Keystone

But not the same costs.

Yes.

But all that matters is what you really paid for it, and that's another chapter in the unfairness of life.

What's the cost of things to a business if they fell off the back of a truck?

Yes.

But all that matters is what you really paid for it, and that's another chapter in the unfairness of life.

Well, I know that when the cost of doing business is lower, the price is usually lower. I've got the Rolex to prove it and it only cost me $20 from a street vendor.

Well, I know that when the cost of doing business is lower, the price is usually lower. I've got the Rolex to prove it and it only cost me $20 from a street vendor.

I have a bit of an interest in the watch world, I have a few decent ones myself, and former bosses liked dropping $30,000 or more on their next purchase. It's not something I would want to get involved in at that level..

So far this year 3 people tried to impress me with a Rolex or something that looked okay, that had a quartz movement on the second hand.

But fakes are getting really good, I'll take the word of those who know a lot more than me.

Yes.

What kind of a ridiculous analogy is that?

Is the same square meter 2-BR condo going to cost you the same in downtown Toronto and downtown Hamilton? Is that unfair?

What kind of a ridiculous analogy is that?

Is the same square meter 2-BR condo going to cost you the same in downtown Toronto and downtown Hamilton? Is that unfair?

Not even remotely what is being said here... never mind.... you aren't going to get it....

You are too smart for this.