1960s Buffalo student protests

I tried this at the BBMB and got shut down even with a handful of very thoughtful and innocuous responses.

With an unlettered keen interest in all things 1960s, I keep reading about numerous campus protests over Nam and late 60s stuff at U of B, some getting violent.

(As well, the U of B took on some interesting characters of the counterculture and artistic fringes as instructors and other teaching positions up the hierarchy. You know the names if you care about these matters....)

Any stories about protest, disruption, arrest, getting gassed?

I tried this at the BBMB and got shut down even with a handful of very thoughtful and innocuous responses.

With an unlettered keen interest in all things 1960s, I keep reading about numerous campus protests over Nam and late 60s stuff at U of B, some getting violent.

(As well, the U of B took on some interesting characters of the counterculture and artistic fringes as instructors and other teaching positions up the hierarchy. You know the names if you care about these matters....)

Any stories about protest, disruption, arrest, getting gassed?

Dude on my hockey team always talks about some incident that took place at Main and Winspear over the war. Not sure what it was, sorry. I'm pretty sure most campus activity back them took place on the Main Street campus as the Amherst one was not so big yet. When I was there in the 90's there were still--have no idea if there still are--some communists on the staffs in history and economics. No idea what happened on campus after we bombed Cambodia if it was like Kent state or not.

Great topic

Dude on my hockey team always talks about some incident that took place at Main and Winspear over the war. Not sure what it was, sorry. I'm pretty sure most campus activity back them took place on the Main Street campus as the Amherst one was not so big yet. When I was there in the 90's there were still--have no idea if there still are--some communists on the staffs in history and economics. No idea what happened on campus after we bombed Cambodia if it was like Kent state or not.

Great topic

Thanks T!

A few on the BBMB talked about classes cancelled, high marks were handed out that semester.

Composer Morton Feldman is one of my 20th-century favourites, he nested at SUNY Buffalofor awhile, his archives are held there.

This New Yorker profile is one of the best things I've ever read about the genre...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/06/19/american-sublime

Here's something

http://www.bpdthenandnow.com/1970UBPROTESTS.html

Unrest began when a sit-in took place before a basketball game on Feb. 24 in Clark Gym. Buffalo police were called to the campus. The next day, 16 people were arrested and at least 11 were hurt in a disturbance that triggered problems for three weeks and gained worldwide publicity.

I use to work out there and play floor hockey there all the time!

Here's something

http://www.bpdthenandnow.com/1970UBPROTESTS.html

I use to work out there and play floor hockey there all the time!

Perlstein's Nixonland was the first book I read that mentioned Buffalo (IIRC.)

His type of history is a good read, taking the headlines of the day and showing what a disaster that era was every single day.

Perlstein's Nixonland was the first book I read that mentioned Buffalo (IIRC.)

His type of history is a good read, taking the headlines of the day and showing what a disaster that era was every single day.

F****** great book!!

Gator, the Amherst campus opened up n the mid 70s. The bio department moved from Main Street to Amherst in 1976. I had physics lecture on Main but the laws were in Fronczak Hall in 1977. Had to walk through the snow to Fronczak Hall the day before the blizzard of 77 hit.

Gator, the Amherst campus opened up n the mid 70s. The bio department moved from Main Street to Amherst in 1976. I had physics lecture on Main but the laws were in Fronczak Hall in 1977. Had to walk through the snow to Fronczak Hall the day before the blizzard of 77 hit.

76 was a crazy year, everything painted red white and blue. I was nine.

Is it true "The Spine" was designed to not aid in promoting protests? Notice, no Student Union was built until just recently. Also, the office to the University's President had a secret "bat entry/exit" via hidden elevator... All due to the 60s protests in mind... Dorms neatly tucked away.

Non-centralized plan was with students organizing in mind. They wanted to eliminate any ease in doing so.

Just like BFLo and expressways, roads, all too efficient! BFLo sure implemented designs that work... All too well. Wisk people away, keep people decentralized.

Is it true "The Spine" was designed to not aid in promoting protests? Notice, no Student Union was built until just recently. Also, the office to the University's President had a secret "bat entry/exit" via hidden elevator... All due to the 60s protests in mind... Dorms neatly tucked away.

Non-centralized plan was with students organizing in mind. They wanted to eliminate any ease in doing so.

Just like BFLo and expressways, roads, all too efficient! BFLo sure implemented designs that work... All too well. Wisk people away, keep people decentralized.

We had a professor explain that to us once.

"BFLo sure implemented designs that work... All too well. Wisk people away, keep people decentralized."

Except when they only open one booth to get back on the main highway after a Bills exhibition game....

"BFLo sure implemented designs that work... All too well. Wisk people away, keep people decentralized."

Except when they only open one booth to get back on the main highway after a Bills exhibition game....

That is not the City of Buffalo... :D

FACT: Buffalo early on had more asphalt paved roads than any other city in the world. I wonder why? Burr, the snow can surely get deep! ;)

"In 1901, Buffalo boasted more than 200 miles of asphalt paved roads, which were more than any other city in the world. (Source: BECHS "A Guide to the Pan-Am Grounds")"

Two glaring designs mistakes, expressways. The Niagara section should have been moved further east. Buffalo's number one/prime asset, the waterfront sliced right in half. #2, The 198/Scajaquada not rip right through Delaware Park. BFLo was built for the automobile and to not have anybody stick around too long.