Are the Bills back to being the NFL's farm team?

I get what you're saying in theory, but at the end of the day McDermott is replacing a basically .500 coach in Ryan and if they put in a couple of 5-11 / 6-10 seasons (not saying they will!), he is gone. The press from an already angry fan base will be too difficult resist, especially if the coach is a step down record-wise from Ryan and Marrone. If we have a couple of Chan-level seasons, he will be gone after season 2. Bank on it.

I usually agree with your takes but not on this one. McDermott has more allowance than what Pegula usually gives his coaches. You are right that Ryan had a .500 record during his stint but the owner realizes that there needs to be a lot of de-constructing on what Rex constructed.

The person on the hot-seat is Whaley. He has been on the job for a few years and the roster is far from being robust. My opinion is that this team is not a playoff team. As the season advances and the end of the season games become meaningless the attention of the hanging squad will be directed toward Whaley. To a degree the condition of the franchise had more to do with him accommodating the archaic views of the former loquacious coach resulting in a set back that we are currently working through.

As I have said on many occasions Whaley inexplicably never exhibited much urgency in addressing the qb position. Ultimately, that is what is going to catch up with him. Dithering doesn't solves problems---it only exacerbates them.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually agree with your takes but not on this one. McDermott has more allowance than what Pegula usually gives his coaches. You are right that Ryan had a .500 record during his stint but the owner realizes that there needs to be a lot of de-constructing on what Rex constructed.

The person on the hot-seat is Whaley. He has been on the job for a few years and the roster is far from being robust. My opinion is that this team is not a playoff team. As the season advances and the end of the season games become meaningless the attention of the hanging squad will be directed toward Whaley. To a degree the condition of the franchise had more to do with him accommodating the archaic views of the former loquacious coach resulting in a set back that we are currently working through.

As I have said on many occasions Whaley inexplicably never exhibited much urgency in addressing the qb position. Ultimately, that is what is going to catch up with him. Dithering doesn't solves problems---it only exacerbates them.

Whaley will get canned sometime after the draft is my prediction. need him until then. He's not a true GM, just the head scout, the personnel director. He's not taking a demotion, so off he goes. Simple.

Edited by jmcraig44