WR Mike Williams Visited Bills today

I'm really surprised that people are against WR. WR2 is the worst starting position on the team IMO. They need secondary help and a WLB but have guys that can play there (and there is a ton of secondary depth in the draft). Dennison's offense is going to throw the ball a lot more than Roman's. We watched horrendous WR play last year with Sammy out and even he isn't healthy. The offense has a chance to be dynamic but are missing a WR and now a #2 RB.

This board has always had a pretty large faction that discounts the passing game. I think a portion of that is the buffalo old school smash mouth who cares what those other cities are doing mentality... and the other part is rationalizating that you don't need it to win because we haven't had one on paper for so long given our qb situations.

i just can't see us being an upper tier team without adding a day 1 starter (that's starting because he belongs there not just because no one else earns it) at WR

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This board has always had a pretty large faction that discounts the passing game. I think a portion of that is the buffalo old school smash mouth who cares what those other cities are doing mentality... and the other part is rationalizating that you don't need it to win because we haven't had one on paper for so long given our qb situations.

i just can't see us being an upper tier team without adding a day 1 starter (that's starting because he belongs there not just because no one else earns it) at WR

I think you are on point with your observation. I also think we do need a day one starter at WR opposite Sammy. A guy that can get open or that can make a play while covered. This would go a long way in helping Clay and McCoy. Not to mention Taylor(or whom ever).

I think you are on point with your observation. I also think we do need a day one starter at WR opposite Sammy. A guy that can get open or that can make a play while covered. This would go a long way in helping Clay and McCoy. Not to mention Taylor(or whom ever).

It's just such a big thing both in best case scenario where Sammy is healthy, or heaven forbid he ends up missing time

That could be round 2 also but it feels like a good chance we will be staring down a WR as potential bpa at our weakest position at 10

Denver had a viable passing game last year primarily because of the Thomas/Sanders duo at WR. If the Bills could replicate that level of talent with a better QB and being built to run, why can't we be an offensive juggernaut?

Its exactly how I feel. We were alreeady 10 in scoring with that poor Ej showing included. With a hopefully second healthy wide receiver that makes the defense account for both sides of the field and our strong running game, an increase in offensive production from the team would further our push to make it to the postseason.

The coordinators can only call passing plays, it's on Tyrod to actually throw the ball. As long as he's QB we'll be bottom quarter in pass play %. The A22s last year show him regularly ignoring wide open dudes and running out of bounds. I believe he dropped back but did not pass 108 times last season. The coaches can't throw the ball for him and the receivers can't throw the ball to themselves. After Watkins, Clay and McCoy as receivers have all under-achieved every year they've been Bills due to the Trentativeness of the quarterbacks, another 1st rounder to come in and under-achieve alongside them is a bizarre approach to team-building. If you want a good passing game you need a willing passer.

I'm not against getting a WR 2. I am totally against spending a top ten pick on a WR after already investing 2 #1 draft picks on WR recently. Terrible team building.

Not to mention we barely throw Sammy the ball and now we will have another top ten WR blowing up at lack of targets.

Bills might want to pass but they have Tyrod who is limited there.

They didn't throw Sammy the ball but that was a different offense. I'm anticipating roughly 35 passing attempts a game. 10 of those are going to Sammy (because Dennison is an idiot otherwise). That leaves 25 balls to go around. I don't think that it's unrealistic to think that 7 of those should go to the #2 receiver.

The offense has been the strength of this team over the last 2 years (top 10 DVOA both years). They did that with miserable WRs. It was Sammy and a bunch of guys. They have a chance to be a lot better there and make the offense even better. They have a chance to be a great offense.

They didn't throw Sammy the ball but that was a different offense. I'm anticipating roughly 35 passing attempts a game. 10 of those are going to Sammy (because Dennison is an idiot otherwise). That leaves 25 balls to go around. I don't think that it's unrealistic to think that 7 of those should go to the #2 receiver.

The offense has been the strength of this team over the last 2 years (top 10 DVOA both years). They did that with miserable WRs. It was Sammy and a bunch of guys. They have a chance to be a lot better there and make the offense even better. They have a chance to be a great offense.

Tyrod is not good at throwing the ball so if that's the plan it will be a disaster. They need to protect Tyrod by running the ball and letting him throw into good situations based on down and distance.

The more Taylor’s been asked to throw the ball, the more it exposes his weaknesses as a passer.

Passing attempts per game Result 2015 2016 Wins 21.5 26.5 Losses 34.8 32.4

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/2/14671358/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-rumors-nfl-free-agency-2017

I'm really surprised that people are against WR. WR2 is the worst starting position on the team IMO. They need secondary help and a WLB but have guys that can play there (and there is a ton of secondary depth in the draft). Dennison's offense is going to throw the ball a lot more than Roman's. We watched horrendous WR play last year with Sammy out and even he isn't healthy. The offense has a chance to be dynamic but are missing a WR and now a #2 RB.

WR2 is a huge need, but I think that if there isn't an elite talent (Watkins, Jones, Green) I wouldn't even take one in the first.

WR is so contingent on the QB and usually the 1st through 6th rated WR (in non elite years) all have very similar talents.

We ran a ground and pound, and both Lynn and Roman were tasked with hiding Taylors deficiencies as a passer.

You do not want to put the ball in Taylors hands too often. The guy is not a good passer by any stretch. Therefore, to ramp up his attempts per game would not bode well.

We ran a ground and pound, and both Lynn and Roman were tasked with hiding Taylors deficiencies as a passer.

You do not want to put the ball in Taylors hands too often. The guy is not a good passer by any stretch. Therefore, to ramp up his attempts per game would not bode well.

We will not have a modern NFL offense until we change the QB. Till then we need to ground and pound. It's also tough to win close games in the 4th quarter when your QB cannot pass the ball when the other team knows you have to pass. Tyrod also struggles in 2 minute offense at end of 1st half for this reason.

In any case, there is a good reason to believe a top ten WR will not get much production in the Buffalo offense. If you are in fantasy football and you do a dynasty draft no one wants their WR to end up in Buffalo. It's a death sentence.

Edited by jeffismagic

Tyrod is not good at throwing the ball so if that's the plan it will be a disaster. They need to protect Tyrod by running the ball and letting him throw into good situations based on down and distance.

The more Taylors been asked to throw the ball, the more it exposes his weaknesses as a passer.

Passing attempts per game Result 2015 2016 Wins 21.5 26.5 Losses 34.8 32.4

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/2/14671358/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-rumors-nfl-free-agency-2017

They threw 29 times a game last year. They are going to throw it more this year. Roman's offense has historically thrown it the least in the league.

I will set the o/u at 3,864 passing yards. That is based on 35 attempts a game (just under where Denver was) and 6.9 YPA (middle of the league which I expect with Sammy and a new number 2). I'd have to think the INTs go up some (let's call it 10) and the TDs at 26 (about 4.6% of he throws).

They threw 29 times a game last year. They are going to throw it more this year. Roman's offense has historically thrown it the least in the league.

I will set the o/u at 3,864 passing yards. That is based on 35 attempts a game (just under where Denver was) and 6.9 YPA (middle of the league which I expect with Sammy and a new number 2). I'd have to think the INTs go up some (let's call it 10) and the TDs at 26 (about 4.6% of he throws).

The QB is the problem. Tyrod will be going on his 3rd offensive coordinator now and nothing will change.

I'll take the under on your passing yards all day, any day.

Edited by jeffismagic

The QB is the problem. Tyrod will be going on his 3rd offensive coordinator now and nothing will change.

so the seahawks ran a ground and pound game and got to two superbowls. we also had the number 7 offense scoring last year running this. this modern offense thing is fun to throw around but yards and td's count just as the same running or throwing.

Those projections are based on what Tyrod Taylor has done you realize that right? His career YPA is 7.4. I am not the one that is expecting drastic change. I'm expecting an extra 6 passing attempts a game based on the scheme and the production to remain at the same level. That extra 6 attempts translates to 41.4 yards a game. All of those people that care about gross yardage will be thrilled to see the Bills at like 243 passing yards a game.

Also, they were 7th in scoring through 16 weeks (I believe) and a top 10 DVOA offense the last 2 years. The offense hasn't been the issue. They lost 6 games when scoring 24 points!! The rest of the AFC playoff teams combined lost 4 such games.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Those projections are based on what Tyrod Taylor has done you realize that right? His career YPA is 7.4. I am not the one that is expecting drastic change. I'm expecting an extra 6 passing attempts a game based on the scheme and the production to remain at the same level. That extra 6 attempts translates to 41.4 yards a game. All of those people that care about gross yardage will be thrilled to see the Bills at like 243 passing yards a game.

Also, they were 7th in scoring through 16 weeks (I believe) and a top 10 DVOA offense the last 2 years. The offense hasn't been the issue. They lost 6 games when scoring 24 points!! The rest of the AFC playoff teams combined lost 4 such games.

The problem is that Tyrod was protected under Roman and Lynn. If you expose him to tougher passing situations his YPA will drop.

so the seahawks ran a ground and pound game and got to two superbowls. we also had the number 7 offense scoring last year running this. this modern offense thing is fun to throw around but yards and td's count just as the same running or throwing.

Russell Wilson is a far better passer then Tyrod Taylor. The End.

I am projecting a drop of a half yard a game. I'm projecting that with a healthy Sammy and an upgrade to Woods (Corey Davis).

I appreciate how you explained your view. We will have to disagree as I don't see it.

Back to Mike Williams for everyone else...

I'm not expecting the player to be drastically different (or really different at all). I'm just expecting them to throw the ball more because that's what Dennison's offenses do. At 35 attempts a game (which would rank 22nd) we should expect just over 240 yards a game and a 2.6:1 TD to INT ratio. I know that doesn't fit the narrative of "the QB sucks" but it's what it is based on the QB's career. They will be middle of the league in yards, top 10(ish) in TD passes and top 10 in fewest INTs with those numbers. This doesn't even factor in that he is the best running QB in the league.

Get the man some help!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson