Trump's Request For Voters Information (changed topic)

mandatory Voter ID laws are only good if every one registered does vote.

Preventing people who shouldn't be voting from voting is only good if everyone who actually properly enjoys the franchise does vote?

What kind of non-sensical malarkey is that?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

mandatory Voter ID laws are only good if every one registered does vote

Preventing people who shouldn't be voting from voting is only good if everyone who actually properly enjoys the franchise does vote?

What kind of non-sensical malarkey is that?

That people registered "legally" via the mandatory Voter ID laws should have the opportunity to vote.

I'll add another stipulation

remove all gerrymandered districts and default to a grid pattern.

it's hard to gain ground when they keep moving the lines

That people registered "legally" via the mandatory Voter ID laws should have the opportunity to vote.

what exactly is gerrymandering?

i am so sick of this term. lines are drawn to make homogeneous groups so that interests may be similarly aligned. it is done in city settings for ward districts - those in Ardmore care more about their parks than those in the WSSU area who want stricter parking rules to stop college kids from parking in their neighborhoods. it is done in county lines, state lines (those who live at the coast want strict water conservation laws, whilst those in the piedmont need all the water they can get). etc etc

gerrymandering is only gerrymandering when it doesn't suit your party

Fraud is Fraud. If people want to commit fraud they will. If "people" want to hack into the US Voting system they will.

I might consider it as long as they only want a Valid ID issued by a DMV or (police ID like I had in the late 70's) and my current address and nothing else, along with making it a national paid day off from any type of work (half day for service workers, we all need coffee and donuts) and increase the polling stations to equal the voting population.

Have you ever been in a line that was so long it took 3 hours to vote?

mandatory Voter ID laws are only good if every one registered does vote.

So, in other words, you are with the plan maybe sorta kinda but only if.

Valid ID. I don't care if it's a driver's license, passport, etc. But a valid ID to be shown when you go to vote. How can you NOT think this is good and fair and justified?

Lastly, no...I have never stood 3 hours in a line to vote because I have my ballot mailed to me every year so I can make more efficient use of my time.

Wtf are you taking about? Try understanding the post and not play at some straw-man game.

I have been showing driver's license at my voting place for years. BFD. I have no issue with it.

Are you saying that you want the Gov't to know your SS and optical affiliation?

It's none of their business and I don't want them knowing my SS # or other private information. They already have all they need. A name, a face and an address.

Ahhh Mail in voting. Are you sure your vote is counted?

We did that once in NC once wen we were moving. My wife asked how she would know her vote was counted and she was told the mail votes are only counted when the results were close.

That or the idiot told her a lie.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

it's hard to gain ground when they keep moving the lines

Individuals would have the exact same opportunity to vote that they have now, the only difference would be the ability to vet them in order to make sure they should be voting, in order to protect the sanctity of the franchise.

As to gerrymandering?

Gerrymandering is a feature of our Representative system, not a flaw.

The House is intended to represent small enclaves of individuals with fairly homogenous views. This ensures that individuals have a voice that actually represents them in our Federal government. This is the reason why House elections aren't statewide: they aren't supposed to represent a statewide view. A grid system actually makes the Body less representative of the people.

So, in other words, you are with the plan maybe sorta kinda but only if.

Valid ID. I don't care if it's a driver's license, passport, etc. But a valid ID to be shown when you go to vote. How can you NOT think this is good and fair and justified?

Lastly, no...I have never stood 3 hours in a line to vote because I have my ballot mailed to me every year so I can make more efficient use of my time.

If signature verification is satisfactory for mailed ballots, why isn't it for those voting in person at polling stations?

Registration is the critical issue.

Wtf are you taking about?

I have been showing driver's license at my voting place for years. BFD.

They don't need any more info that what they already have.

We did that once in NC once. My wife asked and was told the mail votes are only counted when the results were close.

You sure spend a lot of time confused about the basic questions people ask you.

Are you sure YOU'RE vote is counted from the booth? Do you see it getting tallied? How is your machine any more reliable than my envelope? In case this question confuses you as well, here's the answer: It's not.

Besides, I'm in California. My vote means nothing here except in local races, and even that is lost lately.

If signature verification is satisfactory for mailed ballots...

It's not and it shouldn't be. But since there is no requirement for verification here, why stand line when I can take my time at home to fill things out, and then drop it off in the morning of the election?

But again, it's CA. My vote means nothing here. I vote for my own reasons, but never believe for a moment that my vote matters for anything here.

You sure spend a lot of time confused about the basic questions people ask you.

Are you sure YOU'RE vote is counted from the booth? Do you see it getting tallied? How is your machine any more reliable than my envelope? In case this question confuses you as well, here's the answer: It's not.

Besides, I'm in California. My vote means nothing here except in local races, and even that is lost lately.

It's not and it shouldn't be. But since there is no requirement for verification here, why stand line when I can take my time at home to fill things out, and then drop it off in the morning of the election?

But again, it's CA. My vote means nothing here. I vote for my own reasons, but never believe for a moment that my vote matters for anything here.

I can totally relate to this sentiment.

I also agree with your concerns about the reliability of electronic voting at the polls. There should be a paper recording and receipt as well.

Let's face it; there are a myriad of things we can do as a nation that truly places participation in the process as a highly valued civic responsibility. For reasons that are obvious to me, the powers that be are frightened by the prospect. In the meantime, any protests about the "sanctity" of the elective process is just lip service and noise.

Wtf are you taking about? Try understanding the post and not play at some straw-man game.

I have been showing driver's license at my voting place for years. BFD. I have no issue with it.

Are you saying that you want the Gov't to know your SS and optical affiliation?

It's none of their business and I don't want them knowing my SS # or other private information. They already have all they need. A name, a face and an address.

We did that once in NC once wen we were moving. My wife asked how she would know her vote was counted and she was told the mail votes are only counted when the results were close.

Good for you. In NYS, once a person is registered to vote they only need to sign in at the polling station in order to vote. There is no additional identification required.

That there are places where NO ID is required to vote is why the question of whther ID should be required gets asked.

I also agree with your concerns about the reliability of electronic voting at the polls. There should be a paper recording and receipt as well.

NYS has paper ballots that are scanned . The paper goes into voting machine as the proof.

I'd like to see them move election day to Saturday as having it on a workday is just dumb considering how busy people are during the week.

I'd be curious how a move like this would play out, though I suspect it would actually decrease participation in elections.

I'd be curious how a move like this would play out, though I suspect it would actually decrease participation in elections.

I understand your line of thinking, but a lot of people say they're too busy to vote (single mother, work two jobs, etc.) as the reason they didn't vote. Maybe make it a midterm experiment.

I understand your line of thinking, but a lot of people say they're too busy to vote (single mother, work two jobs, etc.) as the reason they didn't vote. Maybe make it a midterm experiment.

I have never been prevented from voting when I really wanted to, overcame a few problems over the years to get there.

People always have convenient excuses for lots of things, usually things they believe others think are important, but they themselves don't prioritize very highly.

To be honest, I don't want these sorts of people voting. The apathetic, disinterested, ignorant, etc. shouldn't have an equal say in how society organizes itself; and while they should be permitted to vote under the current law, there is no way they should be encouraged to do so.

Finally, for those who are new here, or may have missed it in the past, I don't believe that the franchise is a right, but rather a privilege, and should be restricted to those whom either own property or a business, or whom are serving or have served in the military.