The State of the Bills - 2017 Version

It's extremely thin and they don't have the right positions. Right now we have two mikes, a 33yo sam, and a special teams cog.

I agree and I see it as a need and one of the 6 needs. I trust Whaley more at that position than others to find a guy either with a mid/late round pick or FA signing on the cheap. I just think the holes in the secondary are a bigger need and detriment to possible success.

Yea.

Going into the 2015 NFL Draft the team really didn't have a lot of holes(outside of QB before they knew what they had in Tyrod). But Rex and company really !@#$ed that up.

Now the team battles cap issues with several holes to fill, which is why I think you'll see them go need heavy early in the draft. A ****ty way to continue creating more holes for you team.

If a potential great QB is there, that should without question be the pick because a great QB can hide a lot of your other flaws.

However, I expect CB, Safety, and Reciever to be the first 3 picks.

Rex really did do a number on this team. QB certainly hides flaws but these guys (imo) will need to be hidden for the first year at least if not longer. I'm not in love with any of them as the savior although I like Watson the best of the group. I think your first 3 picks make sense even if it isn't best case scenario to draft for need. This year need and talent line up pretty well though.

I agree and I see it as a need and one of the 6 needs. I trust Whaley more at that position than others to find a guy either with a mid/late round pick or FA signing on the cheap. I just think the holes in the secondary are a bigger need and detriment to possible success.

Rex really did do a number on this team. QB certainly hides flaws but these guys (imo) will need to be hidden for the first year at least if not longer. I'm not in love with any of them as the savior although I like Watson the best of the group. I think your first 3 picks make sense even if it isn't best case scenario to draft for need. This year need and talent line up pretty well though.

It wasn't just Rex. Age and contract statuses hurt too. Even if Mario was still here his level of play has declined precipitously. McKelvin, Aaron Williams, Corey Graham are sitting in FA unsigned. Gilmore is one of the highest paid corners in the league. Kyle Williams is on his last few seasons. The real problem was not being able to hit on later draft picks (and giving away later draft picks in trades) leaving us without cheap young players to fill holes.

CB might be a major priority, but the schematic change lessens the need to take one with the #10 pick, possibly to the extent that we might not be considering it, unless someone actually drops into our laps. Even then, it's just as likely we would try and trade back and get more picks, should that happen.

It may be that they want to take a top CB @ #10, but it then becomes the situation that you will be doing that every 4 or 5 years, as you aren't going to be paying the sort of money that guy can get elsewhere, assuming he pans out. Unless you get really lucky in the 'hometown discount stakes', if you are using zone coverage schemes in your secondary, it is one way of getting better CB play 'on the cheap'.

Atm, we have 4/5ths of a good O-Line. Rather than another project, I'd prefer to look for a guy who can come straight in and compete for the job at RT. While there is a lot of criticism of Taylors passing game, (justifiably so), it certainly isn't helped by getting next to no pass protection from the right.

At WR I like the Holmes pickup, but feel we need to do more there. Listenbee is a very interesting prospect, but after being on IR all of last year, you have to wonder how much he actually was able to pick up, from the route running side of things - which was a weakness of his coming out. Is using the #10 pick on one a waste, if Taylor isn't going to progress?

Tbh, I don't care what our new HC says, we need to get better at the Safety position. Hyde is a great pickup, but I'm not convinced about Poyer at all. Irrespective of that, for all we had a whole bunch of safeties around the last couple of years, any of them not called Aaron Williams or Corey Graham, were rubbish. We, at the very least, need some decent depth there.

Speaking of depth, we don't have so much. Hopefully our first few picks come in and bump down some starters to depth, which is where they are best suited.

Agreed. Especially with thoughts on CB!

It wasn't just Rex. Age and contract statuses hurt too. Even if Mario was still here his level of play has declined precipitously. McKelvin, Aaron Williams, Corey Graham are sitting in FA unsigned. Gilmore is one of the highest paid corners in the league. Kyle Williams is on his last few seasons. The real problem was not being able to hit on later draft picks (and giving away later draft picks in trades) leaving us without cheap young players to fill holes.

I agree. However, I could easily make the arguement that our early draft picks haven't been very good either. The majority of our best talent has been found through free agency and trades. This franchise has done a terrible job drafting. The draft is how you build a winner. That's why we don't have one. It's also the reason this team has so many holes.