why draft a raw QB when we've got Cardale on the roster

Commish

Right, you always look to improve. But you can't give up on a guy after a season unless he's a complete dud. He had a season to soak it all in. This year he tries to take the next step competing against Yates and maybe a rookie.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Whether the Bills draft a qb or not I would love to see him get better and compete for the backup or even a starter position. Even as a backup that doesn't mean that he won't play due to injuries or faltering play.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have absolutely no idea if this is true or not.....

Im not against continuing to draft qbs...but the physical talents of C. Jones are through the roof

WE (fans) may not have any accurate idea whether Cardale Jones is any good or not, but by now, the Bills surely must have some idea of his progress (or lack thereof)...

These days no rookie QB is ready to start right off the bat... Did Aaron Rogers start his 1st season? That is NOT a good reason to not draft one at #10 if the Bills think that there is someone there who can grow into being their franchise QB... It's called an "investment"... Alot of Non-QB's drafted in the 1st round bust too including supposed superstar WR's and TE's... Research Tony Hunter (TE) for one... You know - the Tony Hunter who was drafted two picks before Jim Kelly back in 1983

Based on what exactly?

I love the consistency of opinions. We want the Bills to take flyers on project players based on their upside. Then we are done with them when they don't make rookie of the year.

....and what is the flip side to his assessment, which would be a high ceiling?.....arm strength?....size?.......prolific collegiate career?......OSU pedigree?.......what about published reports of his struggles to run the Scout Team?....we certainly are not privy to his ability or lack thereof to process the entire field within 5 seconds......but we do know it STILL is a struggle for TT and what was EJ's demise along with his woeful self confidence......

If you honestly think that Cardale Jones is equal to a Patrick Mahomes or Mitchell Trubisky as a prospect then you are welcome to continue with that opinion.

That would be like saying don't draft OJ Howard because we have Logan Thomas on the practice squad.

We have absolutely no idea if this is true or not.....

Im not against continuing to draft qbs...but the physical talents of C. Jones are through the roof

I find physical talents to be so overrated when it comes to QBs. We see guys come and go every year with all the physical tools you could ever want but don't have the accuracy or decision making to consistently succeed.

I find physical talents to be so overrated when it comes to QBs. We see guys come and go every year with all the physical tools you could ever want but don't have the accuracy or decision making to consistently succeed.

....didn't EJ have the "size" and a decent arm?.......wasn't he from yet another mega QB football factory?....we are on the same page as far as "physical tools" being THE priority (NOT).....at the QB position, it all boils down to what is "between the ears".....with a good QB Coach, mechanics are fixable, usually.....when it comes to gray matter issues, NOT SO.....Steve Young (yup that HOF guy) said it best IMO...."more collegians fail than succeed at the NFL level because of the speed and complexity of the game"....Translation: gray matter.......he may know something...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I haven't read this whole thread so maybe already mentioned but I think the main reason you would do it is that you really like one in the draft and have him graded higher than you did Cardale/a better fit for the new offense. Then you let things shake out in TC and keep the best 2 behind TT, and you need to accept one could get injured too which is why you want 4 viable QBs in camp.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He wasn't exactly in great shape when he ripped his shirt off when he was drafted.

But hopefully, like you said, he's in better shape. And he may be just one of those guys with a fat face.

Sammy's got a fat face, too. He doesn't look like an athlete to me - facially.

As for Cardele, I was wondering the same types of things, but I read in some article this offseason that it's his work ethic that seems to be the problem. And, somewhat related, he spent a lot of time I guess away from the team last year - going back to Columbus for personal reasons.

He didn't look fat at all when I saw him. Shirt was on though. He's always had that huge face. Also he's enormous in person (tall, hands, etc). Looks like a DE.

Was Cardale considered an elite prospect coming out of High School?

Sammy's got a fat face, too. He doesn't look like an athlete to me - facially.

As for Cardele, I was wondering the same types of things, but I read in some article this offseason that it's his work ethic that seems to be the problem. And, somewhat related, he spent a lot of time I guess away from the team last year - going back to Columbus for personal reasons.

You're 100% about Sammy. Fat face. It seems like this could be a club, Fat face all stars. Carmelo Anthony is definitely on the team with Big Ben on the fringe.

His mechanics and accuracy aren't very good, granted you can work on those things to a degree but it's not as teachable as many scouts use to think. Hopefully they can give him 2 more years to working within the system and work on the basics of accuracy and mechanics.

Edited by billsfan89

His mechanics and accuracy aren't very good, granted you can work on those things to a degree but it's not as teachable as many scouts use to think. Hopefully they can give him 2 more years to working within the system and work on the basics of accuracy and mechanics.

Yup. As an EJ fan, I kept hoping with hard work it would improve. It is really hard to relearn a throwing motion when you've been something you whole life. Aaron Rodgers is the only recent example I can see of it successfully being done.

You're 100% about Sammy. Fat face. It seems like this could be a club, Fat face all stars. Carmelo Anthony is definitely on the team with Big Ben on the fringe.

Haha - I've definitely thought the same thing about Carmelo and Ben!