steelers owner dan rooney dead at 84

boyst

very sad , such a humble and gentle man RIP

The house where Dan Rooney grew up and lived to his final days is just two stories high with a small porch, located on a modest block on Pittsburgh's north side not far from a fast food restaurant and some empty lots. You can almost see it from Heinz Field, and for years, Rooney would walk the cracked sidewalks down the hill to get to Steelers home games, one of the most influential people in NFL history remaining firmly a part of the city where he resided -- save for one very celebrated interruption -- all his life.
Edited by ALF

This had nothing to do with Dan was before his time, but all the coaches you mention were hired since around 1970. What about before that? If I remember right, they may have been the only team in the NFL who had never won a championship, and that was when there were only about 10 to 12 teams in the league. Certainly the bad years were all on Art, maybe when Dan got involved things were straightened out? Last 50 year, they've been a model organization, prior to that, not so good.

My understanding is that Dan Rooney turned things around. Part of it too was the scout that Dan hired when he assumed the reigns, who focused on small predominantly black schools. That got them some great drafts in the 70s and the rest was history.

They also had some dismal years in the early 80s. I don't think anyone can go without those stretches.

My understanding is that Dan Rooney turned things around. Part of it too was the scout that Dan hired when he assumed the reigns, who focused on small predominantly black schools. That got them some great drafts in the 70s and the rest was history.

They also had some dismal years in the early 80s. I don't think anyone can go without those stretches.

Well, we've put in our time, I think.

very sad , such a humble and gentle man RIP

The house where Dan Rooney grew up and lived to his final days is just two stories high with a small porch, located on a modest block on Pittsburgh's north side not far from a fast food restaurant and some empty lots. You can almost see it from Heinz Field, and for years, Rooney would walk the cracked sidewalks down the hill to get to Steelers home games, one of the most influential people in NFL history remaining firmly a part of the city where he resided -- save for one very celebrated interruption -- all his life.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799785/article/dan-rooney-left-indelible-stamp-on-pittsburgh-steelers-and-nfl

I'm not the type of person to hand out compliments often, but Rooney seemed like a genuinely good guy. There aren't many NFL owners you can say that about. He lived a life that exhibited class and practicality over flash. There aren't many people at Rooney's level that you can say the same for.

Well, we've put in our time, I think.

I hate you. Bringing this up just sucks man.

I am not one of those who simply want the playoffs. I want the playoffs and at least one win there. That's the only way we can hold our head up.

It seems so far away. Our time, shoot, I'll be on that site by the time we make the playoffs.