Toxic Father In LAw

CommonCents

Man this guy is a pain in the ass, any oppurtunity he gets he tries to undermine me and make our collective life's hell. She gets upset then I deal with it. First it's move closer to us, we actually did. Then she had to get a job closer etc. Then it's oh I don't go to church anymore so I'm not holy enough. On and on we gooooo....I'm sure some folks have better stories and perhaps some mention of how they dealt with it. A happy relationship constantly being strained by someone who isn't a part of it!!!

Edited by Commonsense

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My MIL was toxic. Not just to my relationship but to so many around her. I felt sorry for my FIL having to be married to her. Anyway, she was controlling and over-stepped one too many times and I got pissed and shouted at her. She stayed out of our personal decisions after that.. but she was always unfiltered and never changed in that regard. Always said what she was thinking even if the consequences of those words would hurt relationships. Just clueless

Shiv the mofo. Then he will respect you as a man.

Napoleon syndrome, I'm no less than twice his size. It's just a garbage situation, in my only other long term relationship I was worshipped by much more accomplished parents. This guy retired at 50 off some money left from his parents, bought a slum apartment building, can't keep tenants, currently having lead removed I think a lawsuit is pending? Or he paid back rent? I will never get the whole story, don't care. The highlight of his working career was mixing ingredients for shaving cream fragrances at Gillette.

His recent thing is being a born again, this is a guy in his mid 50's who stays high all day while his wife works. What gives...a shovel and a hole coming right up!!

Be firm and honest with him, but be respectful. My MIL was very similar...always meddling and trying to assert control over things that were not really her business. I asked her if we could have a private conversation, put it all on the table in a kind and respectful way...but still drew a very clear line in the sand. Things have been much better since. Also, it is important that you and your wife present as a united front. If your wife does not support your "message," nor will your FIL.

Napoleon syndrome, I'm no less than twice his size. It's just a garbage situation, in my only other long term relationship I was worshipped by much more accomplished parents. This guy retired at 50 off some money left from his parents, bought a slum apartment building, can't keep tenants, currently having lead removed I think a lawsuit is pending? Or he paid back rent? I will never get the whole story, don't care. The highlight of his working career was mixing ingredients for shaving cream fragrances at Gillette.

His recent thing is being a born again, this is a guy in his mid 50's who stays high all day while his wife works. What gives...a shovel and a hole coming right up!!

Oh boy. Maybe a little cyanide in his pot will do the trick.

Sounds like a nightmare. The girl I live with parents couldn't be nicer and live 5 hours away.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Man this guy is a pain in the ass, any oppurtunity he gets he tries to undermine me and make our collective life's hell. She gets upset then I deal with it. First it's move closer to us, we actually did. Then she had to get a job closer etc. Then it's oh I don't go to church anymore so I'm not holy enough. On and on we gooooo....I'm sure some folks have better stories and perhaps some mention of how they dealt with it. A happy relationship constantly being strained by someone who isn't a part of it!!!

feed him some "special" brownies

My father never got along with his mother-in-law. My mom was heavily dependent on grandma, couldn't go two days without seeing her, and dad always felt that grandma was trying to insert herself into their marriage and split them apart.

Funny thing is that since my parents split, dad and grandma are the best of friends who talk to each other far more than either of them talks to my mother.

Don't tell me he does stuff like nit pick when you say life's instead of lives.