Flying

Ice bowl 67

I'm not making this up...

I flew from Richmond to Boston Logan on 9/11/01. I was headed to Portland, ME (where 2 of the highjackers originated). I landed in Logan about 8:45 - within minutes of some of the highjacked jets taking off. I vividly remember seeing NYC from the air that day as it was "clear and a million" as the pilots like to say.

The events that transpired the rest of the day are another story altogether that I have told dozens of times in my life. But thinking about flying over NYC literally minutes before the world changed is still bone chilling to me.

I flew from Richmond to Boston Logan on 9/11/01. I was headed to Portland, ME (where 2 of the highjackers originated). I landed in Logan about 8:45 - within minutes of some of the highjacked jets taking off. I vividly remember seeing NYC from the air that day as it was "clear and a million" as the pilots like to say.

The events that transpired the rest of the day are another story altogether that I have told dozens of times in my life. But thinking about flying over NYC literally minutes before the world changed is still bone chilling to me.

Wow that is cool. How far up were you when you seen NYC?

Has anyone ever identified a big city while you were flying from the air? Anytime I ever fly its awesome to look down and I always see city lights everywhere but you dont know what city it is or where your flying over.

Nest time you are flying and spring for the wifi, look your flight up on this.

http://flightaware.com/

Tells you exact flight path, tracks your plane...basically big GPS ! BTW, it is great tool to help you on your journey as well..tells you gates, etc, but most important is a link that says" where is my plane now" ...invaluable for planning purposes..lets you know way before the airlines will when your flight is going to be delayed .

I could see the Sears Tower and the Navy Pier on approach to landing there at O'Hare coming home from the Bills home in 2016.

On several occasions I have flown over the Cowboys and Rangers Stadium.

Always cool to point them out to a seat​mate that doesn't live in Dallas Fort Worth and is connecting from or to another city

Has anyone ever identified a big city while you were flying from the air? Anytime I ever fly its awesome to look down and I always see city lights everywhere but you dont know what city it is or where your flying over.

Yep. Sitting jump seat a few years ago for a night flight in one of our Gulfstreams was awesome! Yes, I knew every clump of lights. I am a geography buff so it wasn't difficult. From 40K I could see Wichita, Tulsa, OKC, and Dallas all at the same time. And I could name a bunch of the smaller towns in between too.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

Tells you exact flight path, tracks your plane...basically big GPS ! BTW, it is great tool to help you on your journey as well..tells you gates, etc, but most important is a link that says" where is my plane now" ...invaluable for planning purposes..lets you know way before the airlines will when your flight is going to be delayed .

What's even cooler about Flight Aware or Flight Tracker is being able to track flights of friends and all of my teams as they travel.

only with a prompt from the pilot

Attention passengers; if you look out of the left side of the plane you will see Paris, hours later Attention passengers; if you look out of the right side of the plane you will see Rome

or the "In Air map"

if wifi is even available on the plane.

some apps like Delta and or United will have the flight tracking software that works off of the free wifi

I always thought what they should do is tie the app into the pull down window shade... Have it angle, etc... w/plane, etc... Different overlays say on Google Earth Pro or whatever.

Anyway, when I fly to BFLo & back... The Midway (MDW) to BUF, east-west flight pattern is over my work. I think they literally use the lights of the lock, I can take a time lapse of all the planes that fly over during day and evening... If I get a chance I will post a video.

So... This one time I was flying back into MDW and I had to work @ 16:00... The plane was running behind and the pilot stepped on "the gas"... God bless his soul for not making me late... But my ears hurt big time! ;-) We descended over the lock, I caught that we were locking a towboat and barges. I get to work and one of the guys commented on how a SouthWest plane came right over... I said I was on that plane!

I have some similar cellphone pics. Going northwest to southwest. First pic has work in background. Second pic is fly over:

Lafarge-T.J.OBrien%20Lock%20and%20Dam-S.

TJ%20Obrien%201.jpg

Oh... For the record: One of our duties is to mow the 25 acres of lawn. In June of 1999 I mowed: "Go Sabres!" into that lawn with our Deere 725 mower. BEING over Midway flight pattern, I was sure to get some views!

:-) :-)