Best US History Sources

You are clearly mis-informed

And i dont don't want to hear any excuses you have..

Because they are like !@#$s. Everybody has one and they all stink

65% of the south didn't own 1 single slave...

But hey, all slavery

Then why was the South going to secede in 1850 if the Fugitive Slave Law was not passed? Or did they demand more slave states? Or write all those secession ordinances that said slavery was the reason they were seceding?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Slavery was outlawed in the original constitutional conventions, the war never would have happened.

...Because the union never would have formed.

Slavery is at the root of every cause of the Civil War. It's referred to as our nation's original sin for a reason.

The root cause and only cause are not the same

Of course it's a tragedy

Read my next post

This is the statement you made:

Cool

Because I didn't want to correct you that it was more states rights and not slavery lol

That's historically inaccurate and a piss poor analysis of that period in history.

If that's what you took away from two years of study at Cornell, you should ask for your money back.

The root cause and only cause are not the same

:wallbash:

Read my next post

even with your degrees tom will win this. He is literally an expert and published on military affairs. He is writing a book on naval tactics of some battle in dubya dubya 2

Everyone is literally !@#$ing with you in this thread

Edited by Boyst62

This is the statement you made:

That's historically inaccurate and a piss poor analysis of that period in history.

If that's what you took away from two years of study at Cornell, you should ask for your money back.

:wallbash:

You got me at 11pm when I was drunk. I guess I should have said . While slavery was THE ROOT CAUSE , states rights was an important issue

Root can mean the source of the problem... Which slavery obviously was.. but not the only.. you got me on an ignorant statement last night

even with your degrees tom will win this. He is literally an expert and published on military affairs. He is writing a book on naval tactics of some battle in dubya dubya 2

Everyone is literally !@#$ing with you in this thread

That's awesome for him.

I've written a dissertation which has been published

Am I now bullet proof?

But he seems very intelligent so great for him!

Edited by Buffalo716

Yes! I love a good art museum. And they are all over. I was in Springfield Mass last summer and their collection was mind blowing. Cleveland has a great art museum and in it there is Renaissance weapons and armor collection next to the great works of art.

The main museum for Salvador Dali was in St Pete's Florida when I was there for march breaks, always made a good afternoon visit. His patron was a Cleveland industrialist who snowbirded down there. I'm not sure if it's still as big as it used to be and if Spain has started reclaiming him over the last 20 years...

If we were including the Civil War, I would highly recommend this.

The Civil War: A Narrative

By Shelby Foote

Good read, he gives almost a 1/3 of it to the Louisiana, Texas, Missouri theaters (and thereabouts) which is not remotely for beginners to jump into.

The character studies are among the best for layreaders.

You got me at 11pm when I was drunk. I guess I should have said . While slavery was THE ROOT CAUSE , states rights was an important issue

Root can mean the source of the problem... Which slavery obviously was.. but not the only.. you got me on an ignorant statement last night

Using drunkenness as an excuse doesn't fly here. We're all drunk, or in some cases, high.

Using drunkenness as an excuse doesn't fly here. We're all drunk, or in some cases, high.

It's not like I said 2+2=5

I was drunk and said states rights was a bigger factor than slavery

Not like I said slavery was unimportant

It was my birthday celebration. I was 8 shots deep of crown in like 30 mins

Pre-PC would be before the great movement that changed everything, the Civil Rights Movement which led to a re-writing of much of the history of the nation. Still, there were some great histories written before then. Carl Sandburg's books on Lincoln are just amazing, if somewhat hero worshippy, but still excellent reads. I would highly recommend James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom, it might not be what you like but its good to read things you don't want to agree with. He is one of the greatest historians of our time. If you want something from a southerner, try Jefferson Davis' autobiography, which I found interesting but funny in parts. Read Frederick Douglass's autobiography, it is an amazing book on slavery. Can't call that pc! You can join any number of civil war related message boards and you can get tons of resources, opinions, and arguments from all over. Very very informed people from all points of view write on them. Here is just one: http://civilwartalk.com/Many other southerners wrote memoirs after the war, you might like those. Teddy Roosevelt wrote history books you might enjoy and the Bancroft award is named after the historian who wrote in the 19th century. Washington Irving is an old and very good historian, too. He wrote a long bio on George Washington. One guy who was not a historian but wrote contemporary accounts of America in the past was the guy who created Delaware Park, Frederick Law Olmstead, he traveled through the south in the 1850's and wrote all about it. Just a treasure!

I really don't go to libraries anymore myself, not since Amazon.com came around, but just head to the American history section and look for the older books, if its a good library they will have some great books still there. Some names you might want to look up -- not sure if you will like them, but just to throw them out there: Allan Nevins who wrote for decades before and after the civil rights movement, Page Smith who you really might like a lot and wrote on everything and my new favorite historian, though he is a military historian and wrote about the war itself is Stephen Sears. Another great is Bruce Catton, who wrote about the war.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks

1lq71v.jpg

He was about as helpful as a second ass hole.

It's not like I said 2+2=5

I was drunk and said states rights was a bigger factor than slavery

Not like I said slavery was unimportant

It was my birthday celebration. I was 8 shots deep of crown in like 30 mins

I'll get back to yall after I do some more research, but based on what I know now I'd say slavery was a primary cause of secession, but empire was the primary cause of the war.

Thanks

I'll get back to yall after I do some more research, but based on what I know now I'd say slavery was a primary cause of secession, but empire was the primary cause of the war.

Gator's post was plagiarized.

Thanks

When it came to secession , slavery was vital

KING COTTON was the South's mantra... You can correlate what it meant to their economy, and their way of life

You can also guess who was picking the King Cotton...

Edited by Buffalo716

Why?

Because Ive been a history major for 20 years?

For 20 years? Most people get their degree in 4.

It proves you're an imbecile because you won't be bothered to search for what we've already posted; you have to have it spoon-fed to you as though you're unique and precious. You're not.

When it came to succession , slavery was vital

KING COTTON was the South's mantra... You can correlate what it meant to their economy, and their way of life

You can also guess who was picking the King Cotton...

20 years of college, specializing in the topic, and you can't spell "secession?"

It proves you're an imbecile because you won't be bothered to search for what we've already posted; you have to have it spoon-fed to you as though you're unique and precious. You're not.

I never said 20 years straight. That would be idiotic

I earned a Masters 20 years ago from Syracuse

And went back to Cornell 15 years later to write my dissertation

I'm not trying to argue with you...

Slavery was vital

Not my specialization; frankly, Greg's a better source for sources on that period. Though it also depends on how you define "run-up to the Civil War." That could be as early as 1820, or as late as 1858, depending on your point of view.

20 years of college, specializing in the topic, and you can't spell "secession?"

Why are you a jerk? You act like my posts are illiterate

My phone auto corrected it

I never said 20 years straight. That would be idiotic

I earned a Masters 20 years ago from Syracuse

And went back to Cornell 15 years later to write my dissertation

I'm not trying to argue with you...

Slavery was vital

You really should just shut up. For one of two reasons:

1) You're oversimplifying a complex subject, because you're too ignorant to know it's a complex subject, or

2) You're oversimplifying a complex subject, because even though you know full well it's a complex subject you're making abbrieviated posts on a message board that can't reflect the complexity.

I'm betting it's #2, but either way, shutting up is to your benefit.

Why are you a jerk?

Yes...though the proper title is "pedantic supercilious anal orifice."

My phone auto corrected it

It's always the phone's fault. Improperly used tools are the crutch of a weak mind.