Best US History Sources

Pre-PC would be before the great movement that changed everything, the Civil Rights Movement which led to a re-writing of much of the history of the nation. Still, there were some great histories written before then. Carl Sandburg's books on Lincoln are just amazing, if somewhat hero worshippy, but still excellent reads. I would highly recommend James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom, it might not be what you like but its good to read things you don't want to agree with. He is one of the greatest historians of our time. If you want something from a southerner, try Jefferson Davis' autobiography, which I found interesting but funny in parts. Read Frederick Douglass's autobiography, it is an amazing book on slavery. Can't call that pc! You can join any number of civil war related message boards and you can get tons of resources, opinions, and arguments from all over. Very very informed people from all points of view write on them. Here is just one: http://civilwartalk.com/Many other southerners wrote memoirs after the war, you might like those. Teddy Roosevelt wrote history books you might enjoy and the Bancroft award is named after the historian who wrote in the 19th century. Washington Irving is an old and very good historian, too. He wrote a long bio on George Washington. One guy who was not a historian but wrote contemporary accounts of America in the past was the guy who created Delaware Park, Frederick Law Olmstead, he traveled through the south in the 1850's and wrote all about it. Just a treasure!

I really don't go to libraries anymore myself, not since Amazon.com came around, but just head to the American history section and look for the older books, if its a good library they will have some great books still there. Some names you might want to look up -- not sure if you will like them, but just to throw them out there: Allan Nevins who wrote for decades before and after the civil rights movement, Page Smith who you really might like a lot and wrote on everything and my new favorite historian, though he is a military historian and wrote about the war itself is Stephen Sears. Another great is Bruce Catton, who wrote about the war.

Hope that's helpful.

I must congratulate you on such a well written post. Rarely can you even put even one sentence together without butchering it but this appeared like it was written by a professional. Nice job!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trivia: What year was the last active duty casualty to the civil war?

Some time between 1941-1944 when two troops mistook a cannonball for fuel at fort macon, nc

Edited by Boyst62

Also the US has so many pockets of Impressionist and 20th century art, have come across small collections of Braques and Picasso and other greats without fanfare in remote areas.

Yes! I love a good art museum. And they are all over. I was in Springfield Mass last summer and their collection was mind blowing. Cleveland has a great art museum and in it there is Renaissance weapons and armor collection next to the great works of art.

Trivia: What year was the last active duty casualty to the civil war?

Some time between 1941-1944 when two troops mistook a cannonball for fuel at fort macon, nc

As of four years ago, the US government was still paying one Civil War pension.

Get your tuition refunded. You were clearly mis-taught.

You are clearly mis-informed

And i dont don't want to hear any excuses you have..

Because they are like !@#$s. Everybody has one and they all stink

65% of the south didn't own 1 single slave...

But hey, all slavery

Edited by Buffalo716

We've rehashed the subject to death on this board. I have amply demonstrate that I am not - as amply as you're about to demonstrate that you're an imbecile.

Where is your degree from?

I have one from 20 years ago from Syracuse

And one from 5 years ago from Cornell...

Where are you doing your studying at?

Edited by Buffalo716

:lol::wallbash:

What do you think the slave structure looked like by %s

Because I have 2 years worth of lecture notes from Cornell specifically on it

What is your breakdown of slave owners by class.

Because I can assure you there were only 2 classes of white slave owners in the south

10% of the south were poor , homeless, living in shacks in the Woods

65% were small single family farmers with ZERO SLAVES

That's actually 75% with no slaves right off the bat

Edited by Buffalo716

What do you think the slave structure looked like by %s

Because I have 2 years worth of lecture notes from Cornell specifically on it

What is your breakdown of slave owners by class

:lol: Get your money back if that's what you took from two years of study.

Your take is that because the majority of Southerners didn't own slaves the war wasn't about slavery. That's a ridiculously reductionist position to take.

Where is your degree from?

I have one from 20 years ago from Syracuse

And one from 5 years ago from Cornell...

Where are you doing your studying at?

^^^^ Demonstrating you're an imbecile, as I predicted.

:lol: Get your money back if that's what you took from two years of study.

Your take is that because the majority of Southerners didn't own slaves the war wasn't about slavery. That's a ridiculously reductionist position to take.

No, it proves slavery WASNT THE ONLY ISSUE

Of course slavery was a huge reason... But hundreds of thousands of southerners died who never owned a slave

I can't believe it all about ONE REASON

The south and north WERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Way of life and everything

Even for NON slave owners

Slavery was a huge reason but I cannot say it's the ONLY

10% of the south were poor , homeless, living in shacks in the Woods

65% were small single family farmers with ZERO SLAVES

That's actually 75% with no slaves right off the bat

Well over 75% of Americans were unaffected by the events of 9/11... yet we invaded Afghanistan.

I guess it had nothing to do with 9/11 by your logic. :lol:

No, it proves slavery WASNT THE ONLY ISSUE

Of course slavery was a huge reason... But hundreds of thousands of southerners died who never owned a slave

I can't believe it all about ONE REASON

The south and north WERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Way of life and everything

Even for NON slave owners

Slavery was a huge reason but I cannot say it's the ONLY

If Slavery was outlawed in the original constitutional conventions, the war never would have happened.

...Because the union never would have formed.

Slavery is at the root of every cause of the Civil War. It's referred to as our nation's original sin for a reason.